Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Car Play?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted the executive team via the Tesla Portal with below. The only way we will see a change is if we bombard them with requests:

Hi, I have been a Tesla Model S owner for the past 18 months and I love the car. It's fun to drive, love the sleek looks and love how fuel efficient it is :) That being said, I strongly urge Tesla's Executive Management to re-consider their approach to the Infotainment system which is severely lacking compared to most other vehicles, regardless of price range. While the navigation is now improved and the 17" screen is a delight, the interaction with my smartphone leaves a lot to be desired. The lack of streaming in options outside of Slacker and Tune-In is frustrating and the lack of app integration is as well. Whether it be app mirroring or Apple Carplay/Android Auto, Tesla should consider improving this area of it's operating system to make it a safer more convenient experiencing driving a Tesla. I want to use Spotify, Waze, etc. natively on my screen in a reliable format. Tesla's competition in the electric vehicle space will be increasing in the next couple of years and these factors will influence decisions on future EV buyers. I know for my next vehicle, this will be a pretty big factor in my decision making.

Reactions: Lipsyte
First of all, I got sick of having to plug my phone in every time I got in the car to use CarPlay. Second, It is ridiculously easy to play music from multiple sources via Bluetooth from my phone in the Tesla without having to plug anything in. Third, you may have gotten lucky with a non-buggy version of CarPlay but if you do an Internet search, particularly on Honda forums, you will see endless complaints about the annoying bugginess of the CarPlay interface. Slacker has glitches in Tesla for sure but no more than other music sources in CarPlay.

I thought I might miss CarPlay when I bought my Tesla but now I am glad to be rid of it.

The first point isn't a bug, but something you dislike in how it works. Completely different story than your first post, so if they implement it feel free to not use it. Second, your one example of it not working somehow trumps me using on average a different vehicle from a wide range of manufacturers every other week? Granted, it sounds like maybe Honda has issues if your anecdote is accurate. I typically rent cars that are peers to Tesla, so I can't comment on that, but if a $20k car fails to implement it well, that doesn't mean a high-tech $150k car can't figure it out.

Lastly, I am not complaining about glitches. Slacker at its best is an outdated solution. I used it it seems probably over a decade ago as my preferred streaming, but these days it does not compare to solutions like Prime music or Spotify, and 3 years from now those will likely be inferior to something else. It just seems crazy for them to lock themselves into an inferior product when they can just let us keep refreshing our phones and bringing the latest and greatest into the car with no work required on their part other than the initial implementation.

I do not miss Carplay at all in the Tesla, in the Tesla they could get around some of the cumbersomeness they have where they run in their stand alone environment since you can run them on half the screen then. But it is still not that great as it gets clunky to use.

I much rather see them working on improving their own software and adding apps to that, should be quite easy to add things like Waze or a better podcast app. Their spotify app needs some reworking as well.

Reactions: jrad6515
Can Tesla even incorporate CarPlay given that they use a customized version of Linux as their OS?

I've read that you need a specific chip in the car stereo to use Carplay or Android auto (not 100% sure if that's true.) But I really think they are inferior solutions anyway.

My Amazon Fire TV stick is based on a cut down version of Linux just like Tesla is I believe - and on it I was able to download a simple software package directly from Amazon that allows it to do screen mirroring over Wi-Fi for both Apple and Android, which worked a lot better than I expected.

I don't see any reason Tesla couldn't do this too - they'd need to create an ad hoc Wi-Fi network with the phone, and I'm not sure how they'd prevent you from playing video on the screen (illegal in most places,) but it should be simple software and would allow you to use any phone app with the center screen.

My new laptop comes with a screen mirroring app for my Galaxy S9+, allowing me to interact with the phone on the laptop display. Clearly this isn't a difficult problem to solve - and something Tesla should be able to integrate into their onboard software.

However they do it, they should implement better smartphone integration - because features like voice-to-text and text-to-voice for text messaging and e-mail impact safety, since many drivers ignore all warnings and still use their smartphones while driving...

Tesla, concentrate on what you do best and use CarPlay from Apple. It is all around a better entertainment and connectivity system then your homegrown system. It isn’t perfect but it allows you to take your resources off of your buggy and antiquated infotainment system and apply them to other, needed areas.

I rented a car last month with CarPlay and was amazed how easy it was to use and how well it integrates phones and apps. It isn’t the perfect solution but well ahead of Tesla’s. The Tesla system is very buggy and needs be improved but doesn’t seem to get much attention.

Make the change to CarPlay.

Guy Gadois

I pushed back my Model 3 reservation. I am not 100% sure if I want it without Carplay. I have it in my Mercedes and BMW and it works awesome! Maybe Elon will change his mind.

I pushed back my Model 3 reservation. I am not 100% sure if I want it without Carplay. I have it in my Mercedes and BMW and it works awesome! Maybe Elon will change his mind.

Nice first post.....if you really have a reservation, ride in a 3 using a USB and/or using phone/bluetooth and check out the sound quality....it's much better than most BMW's and Mercedes.

Today, Tesla has the only long range EVs on the market. The Bolt isn't much competition yet, because there isn't a long distance charging network to support road trips. The lack of screen mirroring (Apple, Android, or alternative) probably won't have a noticeable impact on sales.

However, once other manufacturers produce competitive long range EVs - with a way to charge on the road, Tesla will have to be more competitive on features at the price level for each model. The lack of features present in other long range EVs in the same price class will have an impact on sales - so we should see screen mirroring on all Tesla cars, and more luxury features added to the high end S & X models, over the next few years.

Tangentially related to this topic, whatever happened to tesla adding apps to that big giant center screen?

OBVIOUSLY, they have their hands full with other priorities. Seems like some engineer there come up with some cool stuff on his or her lunch hour....

So, Tesla is requesting people on Tweeter to send questions to Elon to be answered at the Tesla Shareholders Meeting this Tuesday.

Here's a link to the tweet Tesla on Twitter

And here's the link to my question regarding Car Play and Android Auto Abraham Rubinstein on Twitter

People should contribute by asking kind of the same question to make some noise.

I think twitter is good idea, but it's not really a question for the shareholders meeting, IMO. Perhaps if we all tweeted to Elon on the same day, it would do more good?

Reactions: mazeminder