Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Car Play?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you understand misruption!

On a serious note, CarPlay was the obvious path forward in about 2014...so they will probably start working on it as soon as the Tesla Network is up and running. If you can't recall back to 2016, the Tesla Network allows your car to autonomously earn cash as a ride sharing driver while you are at work reading the forums.

#misruption

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and jgs
Only a few categories of apps are available on the screen: Phone (VoIP also), Music (podcasts, streaming), Apple Maps, Vehicle Integration
Oh ew, only Apple Maps, no Google Maps, no Waze? Figures.
Apple Carplay uses text-to-speech in order to "read" back text messages. It's an EPIC fail sometimes, entertaining during others and useful every once in a while.
Unless Carplay's text-to-speech is somehow different from (and inferior to) the usual iPhone TTS, my experience with "hey Siri, read my messages!" is quite a bit better than that. I'd go with an occasional fail (the only time I can think of actually, is when reading back an autogenerated text that has some kind of long URL or PIN in it), entertaining occasionally, useful almost always. I mean, it's not perfect, but it's always been good enough for me to get the gist without having to take my eyes off the road.
I wish they would spend the time fixing the media bugs - like my Slacker channel changing randomly every couple days or sometimes songs resuming at the correct spot and sometimes not, etc.
Yes! You would think that three+ years would be long enough to get basic media player functionality right.

The problem with what Kenwood is doing, according to my stereo installer that talked directly to them at CES, is that waze and pandora are “equivalent” apps so you can play pandora OR you can “play” Waze. You can’t have music and maps at the same time.

So this tech leaves a LOT to be desired.

Yes, I agree that it isn’t ideal, but I can’t imagine Apple opening up iOS for Elon to enable his version of app mirroring. The closest thing Apple provides to that outside of Car Play is Airplay on the AppleTV, but that lacks touchscreen capability.

I don’t know that Tesla would partner with WebLinks specifically, but it does represent an alternative to app mirroring that doesn’t require Apple to support at the OS level.

My opinion is that the boat has sailed on Tesla with this. I suspect it’s unlikely that we’ll get legacy support on older cars and that they will end up partnering with Apple and Google to get CarPlay on the center console. The reason I think it’s unlikely we’ll get an OS update that enables CarPlay is that I recall Apple had some hardware requirements for it to work.

In any case, I hope whatever effort Tesla has in this department isn’t dormant and that they are actively seeking a solution.

I recall Apple had some hardware requirements for it to work.
The last time this came up in a thread I read, it was said the car-side portion had only been ported to several RTOS that are evidently popular in the automotive industry, but not Linux which is what's running on the Tesla CID. I would guess that's the biggest stumbling block if true, though hardly insurmountable. There's a dearth of easily-found online documentation about Carplay porting requirements (apparently they want you to sign up for MFi to get the deets, probably with a fee and NDA), but there's a WWDC slide deck here that talks about hardware reqs at a high level. Nothing too challenging listed there, though the CID aspect ratio isn't one of the standard resolutions ("Contact Apple for non-standard resolution"). Slide 89 says there has to be a hard Siri button but I bet you could map one of the steering wheel buttons for that. (The deck doesn't say anything at all about supported OSes.)
In any case, I hope whatever effort Tesla has in this department isn’t dormant and that they are actively seeking a solution.
Hope springs eternal, they say. I hope for the same, but my optimism is pretty low.

Maybe the issue is that Apple and Tesla see each other as competitors if Apple decides to get into the EV business. So they don't want to cooperate with each other. Same with Tesla and Google.

That was a fine theory about 4 years ago. Tesla clearly has their hands full. The idea that Tesla will develop their own platform just as soon as they are done with Model X, Autopilot 2.0, Enhanced Autopilot, Autopilot 2.5, Fail Self Driving, Model 3, Tesla Semi Truck, Mars landing is no longer reasonable...it's just incompetent management.

Reactions: jgs
Tesla, concentrate on what you do best and use CarPlay from Apple. It is all around a better entertainment and connectivity system then your homegrown system. It isn’t perfect but it allows you to take your resources off of your buggy and antiquated infotainment system and apply them to other, needed areas.

I rented a car last month with CarPlay and was amazed how easy it was to use and how well it integrates phones and apps. It isn’t the perfect solution but well ahead of Tesla’s. The Tesla system is very buggy and needs be improved but doesn’t seem to get much attention.

Make the change to CarPlay.

Guy Gadois

While it’s probably just tilting at windmills, I do agree completely. I thought I would get used to it and forgive my X this one major drawback, but it really is a bad setup. Maybe 8 years ago slacker might have been relevant, but today it is not. Allowing CarPlay and the android equivalent would remove their burden of either having to keep up with changing trends or looking old and out of date. I know the defenders will come in and say they want to control the user experience, but when the user experience is not good, why would they want to lock people into it?

Reactions: NeverFollow
While it’s probably just tilting at windmills, I do agree completely. I thought I would get used to it and forgive my X this one major drawback, but it really is a bad setup. Maybe 8 years ago slacker might have been relevant, but today it is not. Allowing CarPlay and the android equivalent would remove their burden of either having to keep up with changing trends or looking old and out of date. I know the defenders will come in and say they want to control the user experience, but when the user experience is not good, why would they want to lock people into it?[/Q
I can't agree more. It is liked driving a high tech car without Bluetooth in 2018. The formula just doesn't add up.

Reactions: GuyGadois
Carplay ? I won't be an islave ever again, maybe the Android auto thingy is good, but don't bloat it up with apple mess. It'll just work slower with every new product apple makes.

Just curious, have you ever used CarPlay? I was really impressed with it. My 2016 Toyota Tacoma has a better infotainment system then my Model S.

Carplay ? I won't be an islave ever again, maybe the Android auto thingy is good, but don't bloat it up with apple mess. It'll just work slower with every new product apple makes.
A don't think you have ever experienced CarPlay. It works beautifully on a car 6 times cheaper than a Model X.

And the best part is, you don't have to use it if you don't want to! But at least, the choice should be there for people who do.

Android Auto is also fantastic, btw.

Ha ha... just another 'political' statement contributing nothing to the discussion.

CarPlay provides a solid reliable alternative for iPhone users giving a somewhat consistent musical experience to what you get on your phone. Having CarPlay or Android Auto options would be so much better!