Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Car Play?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carplay ? I won't be an islave ever again, maybe the Android auto thingy is good, but don't bloat it up with apple mess. It'll just work slower with every new product apple makes.

Not only is this a completely uninformed rant (CarPlay is not much more than remote screen display and audio connection, so it would never slow down the rest of the car), but almost every manufacturer down to the lowest end cars are supporting both CarPlay and Android auto now. Tesla has to be one of the last cars out there not supporting it, and it is a significant detriment. No one can with a straight face say being locked in to a single streaming service in this day and age is a good thing, nor do I think anyone would claim if they did have to choose one it would be slacker. I used to use it, a decade ago, but the industry has moved way beyond it. Tesla could support 4 or 5 apps for streaming, and still be chasing the latest and greatest all the time trying to keep drivers happy, or they can embrace that everyone up to and including 80+ year old great-grandparents have either an android or iphone and have some sort of streaming on it that they like for music and just support carplay/android auto. It is just an incredibly stupid hill to make a stand on when their offering is objectively worse than even mediocre cars.

I am an audiophile with a large collection of obscure music ripped from CD and vinyl and tape, as well as audio dramas similarly ripped.

After finally concluding that Tesla was intent on breaking the USB music on my car, I have managed to hack together a plausibly decent portable audio system with an Android tablet, PowerAMP, and a USB stick (with the usual lossless FLAC files). Gapless playback, full folder browsing, high quality, the lot.

My current plan is to get an FM transmitter and attach it to the headphone jack, and tune Tesla's system into my player via FM. :confused: Big pile of mess in the center console, hundreds of dollars, but it will work.

(At least if I'm travelling in a convoy I can convince my friends to tune in to the same music I'm listening to, right?)

Unfortunately I have to change media by picking up my tablet and fiddling with it... which is even less ideal.

Android Auto would be a more acceptable alternative. Though not as good for me as a directly-functioning USB music player, it would be a workaround which would keep my eyes on the road more.

Last edited:
Just curious, have you ever used CarPlay? I was really impressed with it. My 2016 Toyota Tacoma has a better infotainment system then my Model S.

To be fair, a 1970s car with a tape deck has a better infotainment system than the most recent version of the Model S firmware. :-(

Yeah, let's get Android Auto and CarPlay.

Yep. The lack of interior updates (user interfaces included) is a growing threat to Tesla on the premium end of the market. They've got a year or so before the Porsche Mission E (Porsche PCM already has CarPlay in all their new models) and Audi Etron GT (Audi MMI already comes with both CarPlay and Android Auto). The Germans already nail interior design, finish and infotainment. If folks spending this kind of money have more premium EV options, it'll be a problem. I love the Pioneer Android Auto system I had put in our old Porsche.

It makes the Tesla infotainment system feel old, even with all that screen real estate.

Ok. So this is kind of a recurring subject here in TMC. I've seen at least a couple of threads about it and every once in a while, someone mentions it.

The question is now... what do we do about it?

Do we all write to Elon on Twitter and we harass him until he sais something? (like 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely... :rolleyes:)

There has been countless thread about this but like pretty much everyone I would love to have carplay/Android auto. With so much screen real estate and a car so tech oriented, it's a shame we can't have a decent infortainment system. It would also probably save time and money to tesla by not having to invest ressources to make their own streaming service and such...

There was an online petition somewhere floating around. It’s funny bc everyone who sees a Tesla and is unfamiliar with them automatically assume with the large 17” screen and autopilot features that the entire car is high tech, but us Tesla owners know it’s shortcomings with the infotainment system. When showing off the car I find myself setting low expectations when giving a “tour”.

Our best bet is to keep tweeting at Elon. I love my Tesla but my next EV purchase in probably 4-5 years will have a lot more options and that is a good thing.

I am an audiophile with a large collection of obscure music ripped from CD and vinyl and tape, as well as audio dramas similarly ripped.

After finally concluding that Tesla was intent on breaking the USB music on my car, I have managed to hack together a plausibly decent portable audio system with an Android tablet, PowerAMP, and a USB stick (with the usual lossless FLAC files). Gapless playback, full folder browsing, high quality, the lot.

My current plan is to get an FM transmitter and attach it to the headphone jack, and tune Tesla's system into my player via FM. :confused: Big pile of mess in the center console, hundreds of dollars, but it will work.

(At least if I'm travelling in a convoy I can convince my friends to tune in to the same music I'm listening to, right?)

Unfortunately I have to change media by picking up my tablet and fiddling with it... which is even less ideal.

Android Auto would be a more acceptable alternative. Though not as good for me as a directly-functioning USB music player, it would be a workaround which would keep my eyes on the road more.

How is this better than using bluetooth? I used FM transmitters back when I had no other option, but it seems like today bluetooth would be pretty good and offer more user control in this application.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Tesla is running out of time to address this issue, because other than "calendar" integration, they are at the back of the pack for smartphone integration. It's not just the lack of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, we also lack features like text-to-voice and voice-to-text for text/email messages, that's present today in cars at a much lower price point than the S/3/X.

if Tesla offers anything, they need to support both Apple and Android phones. Several years ago Musk indicated Tesla would likely go with something other than CarPlay and AndroidAuto - and based on Tesla's software strategy, that seems more likely than using the stock Apple or Android solutions.

The Model S was supposed to have a 3rd party app store - there was an icon in the menu bar in the prototypes shown before the Model S went into production - and Tesla continued to promise providing the app store for a few years. Some form of screen mirroring is a much better solution than allowing 3rd party apps to run onboard, shifting the security issues to smartphones and away from the processor that could impact the car's operation.

With the other manufacturers likely to provide CarPlay and AA in the long range EVs being introduced soon, Tesla could start losing some customers over this.

Reactions: bro1999
I for one think this is a big enough issue that I would leave tesla for a better experience. Musk has promised upgrades and some form of mirroring for years now. Just one in the pages long list of never fulfilled promises (still waiting for my maps upgrade!). His over promise, under deliver philosophy is what will kill tesla. Sad that $25K cars have a better infotainment experience. Tesla, are you listening??? No, I didn't think so.

Reactions: bro1999
Assuming VW is able to get their Electrify America charging network in place, Tesla has about 18-24 months before they'll start facing competition in the US for long range EVs (Bolt isn't a serious competitor - no long distance network).

So, Tesla still has time to address this issue - licensing screen mirroring from Apple and Google are one solution, there are 3rd party alternatives that provide similar functionality, and more likely for Tesla to use.

Tesla's software teams are behind in getting AP2/EAP/FSD working and in getting the Model 3 configuration fully supported. Though the recent release of the new NAV software is a positive step. And I'm hoping that once the Model 3 software is working, Tesla will use the time before the Model Y introduction to finally address the media player and smartphone integration.

Seems more likely Tesla will go with a 3rd party solution - and not deal with licensing the technology from Apple or Google.

The original MCU should have enough horsepower to handle this, especially because Tesla would probably prevent video from being sent to the console display (at least until FSD is approved for use).

I had Carplay in my Honda and I much prefer the infotainment and new navigation features in my new Model S. Tesla's options have some bugs but nowhere near as much as Carplay had - for me at least. I don't miss Carplay at all.

I think the point is not a desire to have actual CarPlay, but ANYTHING that will smartly interact with phones. Almost every manufacturer has some real technology advances that Tesla should be adopting. If my Model S did not have the big screen and autopilot, GPS Homelink there is nothing amazing about the tech. Compare the offerings from BMW in the ~$100k price point. They all have blind spot, HUD's, topview 360 cameras, integrated multimedia, etc. My 6 year old BMW had those features and I could send messages directly to my car. Look at the technology in the new Jaguar I-Pace, yet alone every other car company. The new Model 3 has more tech advances than the current model S/X, but still behind...

Reactions: pnd4pnd
I had Carplay in my Honda and I much prefer the infotainment and new navigation features in my new Model S. Tesla's options have some bugs but nowhere near as much as Carplay had - for me at least. I don't miss Carplay at all.
You may have really bad luck or a faulty system then. I have used Carplay in dozens of brands and models of rental cars, and have never had significant issues that weren't issues with my phone itself. At a minimum, in every single one I had no issue using my preferred audio streaming within a minute of hopping in the car. If you feel that slacker is more robust than the dozens of free streaming platforms available on each type of phone, congrats, you can ignore CarPlay if they ever implement it. But I think you are in a very small minority of people who think Slacker is a leading option today.

I'll also add, I wouldn't compare my expectations from a $100k+ Tesla with my expectations from a Honda. Even if Honda failed in their implementation of carplay, many luxury brands in the Tesla price point have done it right based on my first-hand experience.

On a completely unrelated tangent. I continue to be amazed at just how bad slacker, or the Tesla implementation of it is. The other day I was in the mood for R.E.M. After about 10 minutes, I gave up unable to get it to play. I tried voice and typing everything I could think of. R.E.M., REM. R E M, R. E. M., all gave completely different artists.

• Disagree
Reactions: jrad6515
If you feel that slacker is more robust than the dozens of free streaming platforms available on each type of phone, congrats, you can ignore CarPlay if they ever implement it. But I think you are in a very small minority of people who think Slacker is a leading option today.

First of all, I got sick of having to plug my phone in every time I got in the car to use CarPlay. Second, It is ridiculously easy to play music from multiple sources via Bluetooth from my phone in the Tesla without having to plug anything in. Third, you may have gotten lucky with a non-buggy version of CarPlay but if you do an Internet search, particularly on Honda forums, you will see endless complaints about the annoying bugginess of the CarPlay interface. Slacker has glitches in Tesla for sure but no more than other music sources in CarPlay.

I thought I might miss CarPlay when I bought my Tesla but now I am glad to be rid of it.

Last edited: