Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Car Play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Apple Car play and Android Auto are amazing tech experiences in cars.

Let's face it, everything is on our phones these days. Shouldn't Tesla provide this feature especially for those who are newly migrating to a Tesla?

Wouldn't it be in Elon's best interests if they start including it now in their cars? If, wait, I mean WHEN Apple comes out with their own car, those who already have CarPlay in their Tesla's wouldn't be tempted to switch over as their Apple experience is already inside the Tesla.

Reactions: KentheJ
Wouldn't it be in Elon's best interests if they start including it now in their cars?

No, car manufacturers dont want to be a dumb pipe, they want to own their technology stack in this regard. Thats why BMW et al fought against it for so long. most lost. Tesla wants to control its UI, so it likely will never capitulate to this, unless the company goes out of business or gets sold to some other car manufacturer who doesnt care about that any longer.

I dont think this will happen no matter how many times people post about it or complain about it. what I think will eventually happen, is that tesla may open up development to get extra apps etc in "their system".

Reactions: mswlogo
The problem is in the numbers. For Tesla to open up to 3rd party developers it would need to sell a LOT more cars. Why would a developer port something to Tesla with say a million cars on the road vs. iPhone with a billion phones? (making the numbers up but the difference in scale is the point here). And testing. You have the burden of testing on something expensive. You would likely end up with 2nd rate apps from 3rd rate developers. Sorta like what we have now :rolleyes:

the other part is that CarPlay currently can't talk to the car in a meaningful way.
Apple are trying to change that, but I think they will have a much harder task trying to convince car companies to lock into Apple for that kind of thing.
Tesla would be last company to agree to that - their current software controls every single aspect of the car, they will likely never give Apple any of that.

Reactions: israndy
the other part is that CarPlay currently can't talk to the car in a meaningful way.
Apple are trying to change that, but I think they will have a much harder task trying to convince car companies to lock into Apple for that kind of thing.
Tesla would be last company to agree to that - their current software controls every single aspect of the car, they will likely never give Apple any of that.
My thoughts exactly. I actually dont want to use Carplay/Android Auto in my Tesla even though I love those systems. I use them all the time in my ICE car. The issue with Carplay/Android Auto is they do not communicate with the car. The power of using the built in nav is that it routes automatically based on the range and power consumption of the car. Should you be using more juice then it calculated (Such as a windy day or crap weather), it will add or modify the charge stops to compensate. Carplay/Android Auto currently don't have any capacity to do that. Until those Apple and Android systems can communicate with the car and actively route based on the SoC, they are about useless in my opinion.

If one day, Carplay/Android Auto become two communicating systems that can dynamically route and add/remove charging stops based on current SoC and average Wh/m, then I'll use them in a heartbeat.

One last thing, all the car automation systems rely on you using the built in nav... So pretty much nothing more then basic autopilot if you don't use the built in nav. Because so much of the functionally of the automated systems rely on using the built in nav, I don't see them opening up to putting in Carplay/Android Auto anytime soon.

i think ford does a good job with carplay with their touch screen, which is not too different than tesla
Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-apple-carplay.jpg

Reactions: Gy2020 and jmaddr
I fully understand there could be issues with using a non-Tesla navigation system, although as far as the car is concerned, it would behave as if it weren’t using nav at all. However, what I really want CarPlay for is twofold: one, it provides drastically better handling of texts and phone calls with my iPhone than using Tesla’s infotainment stack; and two, there are plenty of times when I don’t need or want Tesla’s nav and would prefer to use a CarPlay-supported nav system (I generally like Apple Maps quite well).

Of course, I don’t expect things to change regarding Tesla and CarPlay, and I went into my Tesla purchase with my eyes wide open about the CarPlay situation (and the SXM situation as well, although I hold out hope there that an app will show up for SXM via streaming, alongside Apple Music). But the fact that I made the decision to live without CarPlay doesn’t mean I no longer want it in my Teslas ;)

Reactions: Tinkerin and jmaddr
Car play doesn’t need to talk to the car in a meaningful way. All it does is use the car’s screen as an auxiliary touch screen interface. There are other threads on this, I’m one to agree - many like the Tesla interface but there are many people who would love to have carplay available.

Example where CarPlay would have been nice: Yesterday I was driving home from our cabin. Tesla maps routed me straight through a bunch of road construction, using local residential roads that you’re not allowed to use for a detour. Apple maps did the same but also give you a choice of routes with similar times, making it easy to pick an alternate route.

Example where CarPlay would have been nice: Yesterday I was driving home from our cabin. Tesla maps routed me straight through a bunch of road construction, using local residential roads that you’re not allowed to use for a detour. Apple maps did the same but also give you a choice of routes with similar times, making it easy to pick an alternate route.

Perhaps you know this, but it's easy to send a route from one's iPhone, using Apple Maps, to the Tesla navigation system. I've done it a few times. You use the "share" icon on the iPhone.

As one who hankered for Apple's car play and have it on my ICE SUV, In my Tesla I do not miss car play at all. Tesla's interface is far ahead of Android Auto and Car play, it is no more an issue. That said, I do intend to add a Hansshow display in front of the steering when their display comes out with a front blind spot camera. The display comes with wireless car play. After seeing the installation on YouTube it does not seem a big deal.

When I got my Tesla, it was the number one thing I missed. now I dont want it. I missed using Waze, but it cant take into account charging stops. Still wish Tesla would incorporate crowdsourced police and accident info. But a car manufacturer would get WAY too much *sugar* for incorporating basically a crowdsourced radar detector, and its another thing people would complain about having to interact with the screen for. I had Apple Music, but I migrated my playlists to Spotify using a free trial for an app that worked perfectly, Also I have REALLY enjoyed the "Daily Drive" Playlist. Some artists also do awesome live performances for Spotify, at least the ones I enjoy.

Im over the fact that CarPlay isnt an option. just took getting used to.

Edit: Also, with CarPlay, a jailbroken device can let you watch videos while driving. I know because I used it on my kia (Yeah, I know its wrong. listening to the office while driving in traffic was great). Tesla won't allow any software that can bypass their restrictions especially with regulators on their ass.

Sounds extreme, but I genuinely am looking to sell my Telsa as in car functionality it the highest priority on my list. This was cemented yesterday when I drove another ICE car with CarPlay and everything just worked seamlessly again as it did before. Access to apps I love and use, plus far superior mapping, message handling etc....and that was a 30 min journey. I've talked about feeling less safe in the Telsa before given it's terrible UI to do ANYTHING while driving, yet driving with CarPlay yesterday I genuinely felt much safer as CarPlay was familiar and logical. I've had my Tesla 8 months now and still hate the UI, Jumping back in with CarPlay after 8 months and it was effortless again and so much better for I use an infotainment system.
I get that Tesla don't want to open up to other manufacturers, but to ignore them completely is just annoying. I have 12k on the clock and whilst I love the drive and the no fuel aspect, the UI is a big enough driver for me to look at another CarPlay car.......I don't think ,I'm completely alone in that