Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a question of "be patient and Apple will come up with something that will raise the bar, like it did with the smartphone".
There's a non-visionary at the helm at Apple. Apple's tour de force was in bringing something disruptive in a market that wasn't
really expecting anything - I mean: most people were just happy with their Motorola's, Nokia's and Blackberries.

The whole thing about the automotive market, is that people do expect the tech companies to bring something that will tackle
the issues that have been handicapping Personal Mobility for decades now. Thus far, they have been waiting in vain.

Reactions: superblast
It's not a question of "be patient and Apple will come up with something that will raise the bar, like it did with the smartphone".
There's a non-visionary at the helm at Apple. Apple's tour de force was in bringing something disruptive in a market that wasn't
really expecting anything - I mean: most people were just happy with their Motorola's, Nokia's and Blackberries.

The whole thing about the automotive market, is that people do expect the tech companies to bring something that will tackle
the issues that have been handicapping Personal Mobility for decades now. Thus far, they have been waiting in vain.
I hear what you're saying, but I dunno... This is the same Apple that's become a trillion dollar company since they've created the iphone by selling $1,000 monitor stands. They don't have to be disruptive anymore. They have their market of people locked in. If Apple builds it, they will buy it.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Honestly, I don't know. I adore the Apple brand. I have been using iPhones and Apple Watch for many years and I am very happy with them. But the car? I do not know...
My thinking:
  • The car has not found it's final form factor - the CT has proven that
    • Let alone the RT
  • The RT market is huge - plenty of opportunity for Tesla competitors
  • Apple have the second best chance of finding that new form factor - they are spending huge amounts on research and won't be thinking small
  • However, Apple are indeed risk averse and unlikely to dip their toes in (Agile MVP methodology which is so powerful). They will only go for it if they have something new and major.
  • Also, they would become competitors to their current CarPlay customers
  • New form factors could include 3D printing entire chassis in one go (metal, plastic like PEEK/graphene or a mixture). Building batteries into the fabric of the car. More or less glass. More screens internally for passengers and externally for adverts. Glass that becomes a screen. Clever AR/VR glasses integration. Hub motors. Facing luxury seats with table. Side facing or rotating seats for easy ingress. Beds for sleeping whilst driving. Falcon wing style door covering 2+ rows or at the front / rear. Batteries in roof or front to reduce floor height (dynamics not important for RT). Graphene batteries. Supercapacitors... 3 wheels. Smaller wheels. Plastic panels. Gigapress chassis in one.

Rivian up over 6% based on @ZachF starting a rumor that Apple might buy Rivian.

View attachment 849505

Not sure why all the drama about an "Apple Car". Apple doesn't even manufacture their phones, they just have Foxconn slap an Apple label on their products. They don't have the manufacturing or engineering experience to consider something as complex as auto manufacturing-at this time anyway. Of course they could buy Bolts from GM, stick their label on it and mark the price up 50% and we'd hear from the media how revolutionary and advanced it is, while the fanboys line up around the block to buy them. The thing they have going for them is very deep pockets should they actually decide to get into autos.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Foxconn just slaps a label on their own products and thus the iPhone isn't really an Apple-designed product? That's my first big laugh of the day.
Apple doesn't even manufacture their phones, they just have Foxconn slap an Apple label on their products. They don't have the manufacturing or engineering experience to consider something as complex as auto manufacturing-at this time anyway
This is partly true although Foxconn simply drives the slaves so Apple can appear clean. Throughout the '90's, Apple tried hard to make a cellphone. However, their mentality was with 'best-effort' contention resolution in computing, not 'real-time' as required for a phone. They failed miserably. It wasn't until the early 2000's, when Nokia, Ericsson, and Motorola started laying off or disrespecting their engineers who knew 'real-time' computing and how to make phones. They were hired by chip companies such as Agere, Broadcom, Freescale, Marvell, etc so that Apple could purchase the phone part as a chip and their software couldn't break it. Once the phone part was available as a chip, Apple (actually Handspring was first) put their elegant 'best-effort' application interface on another 'application processor' computer, and the smartphone emerged. Google + Samsung, of course, did the same thing with Android. Once those orthogonal approaches were married, the rest is history.
Similarly, Apple probably has no place trying to build a car. However, if someone makes a good skateboard platform to handle the car part; Apple, and perhaps others, may be able to start putting the creature comforts and applications on top to cater to the occupants.

I don't think you guys get Apple at all. They are selling an Ecosystem. Everything works together. But one thing not in their vertical integration is a way to ask your phone to take you somewhere. If and when there is an Apple Car it won't be for sale, it'll come get you when you request it from your phone/watch/glasses. They'll probably bundle it with the AppleOne service. You don't need to think about insurance, or even worry about the driver robbing or raping you cause it'll be controlled by Apple and Apple software. Just one more thing you can trust because of the Apple name.

I don't think you guys get Apple at all. They are selling an Ecosystem. Everything works together. But one thing not in their vertical integration is a way to ask your phone to take you somewhere. If and when there is an Apple Car it won't be for sale, it'll come get you when you request it from your phone/watch/glasses. They'll probably bundle it with the AppleOne service. You don't need to think about insurance, or even worry about the driver robbing or raping you cause it'll be controlled by Apple and Apple software. Just one more thing you can trust because of the Apple name.
That's interesting.

Reactions: israndy