Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I apologize if this has already been discussed to death. I did search first, and the only thread I saw dedicated to the topic was from 2016.

What, if anything, has Tesla said about whether/when they will support Apple CarPlay?

I drove an Audi over the weekend that had it, and it is pretty awesome. I didn't expect it to be a huge factor for me, but it now is. I have been on the fence between waiting for my Model 3 (the April end of my estimate is no longer looking realistic), buying a new BMW or Audi, or buying my current BMW when the lease is up in January. I've now eliminated the prospect of buying my 2014 BMW off lease, because BMWs of 2017 and later have CarPlay... so at a minimum there I'd want a CPO 2017 model, in order to get CarPlay.

I was pleasantly surprised that CarPlay even supports Google Music, which I had not expected - I'd figured it would only work for Apple Music. As an iOS+Google user I figured I'd be SOL. I use Google Music daily on my commute, and the ability to have that integrated into a touchscreen in the dash is pretty killer.

Reading more about it, I realized that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto impart a certain level of "OTA updates" to non-Teslas. No, the car's software itself can't be updated, but you can and will have new functionality become available to you through CarPlay. For example, if Apple opens up CarPlay to competitor's maps, Google Maps and/or Waze could become available overnight to iOS users with CarPlay. Same thing applies on the Android side.

Reactions: dow
I looked around and google searched and only found people requesting it to be added to Tesla vehicles with no official response one way or the other. I would love to have Android Auto included as we have it in our 2017 CRV and like the features a lot. But I understand that a good chunk of the functionality of the two applications is built into the car via the Tesla navigation system (that includes navigating/trip planning to super charger stations) as well as voice commands and streaming options at least over bluetooth from your phone. Now from the videos that have been posted, it doesn't look like some of those features are yet included in the 3, but are on the S/X and are expected to rollout via OTA updates.

I just don't want to have to interact with my phone while driving, it's nice being able to control the features/Waze/my podcast app (beyondpod), etc all through the center console/screen of our CRV.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
I looked around and google searched and only found people requesting it to be added to Tesla vehicles with no official response one way or the other. I would love to have Android Auto included as we have it in our 2017 CRV and like the features a lot. But I understand that a good chunk of the functionality of the two applications is built into the car via the Tesla navigation system (that includes navigating/trip planning to super charger stations) as well as voice commands and streaming options at least over bluetooth from your phone. Now from the videos that have been posted, it doesn't look like some of those features are yet included in the 3, but are on the S/X and are expected to rollout via OTA updates.

I just don't want to have to interact with my phone while driving, it's nice being able to control the features/Waze/my podcast app (beyondpod), etc all through the center console/screen of our CRV.

Yes, agree that much of the functionality is there, and I have all of that in my current 2014 car as well (OK, my BMW doesn't show Supercharger stations on its nav :))...

It's just that the car's navigation isn't anything special, certainly not the likes of Google Maps. I assume (maybe wrongly?) that the same is true of Tesla's nav, except that it shows a very nice display for the Superchargers, which of course is valuable. So even though my car has nav, I'm always using Waze or Google Maps on my phone instead. At least the voice commands from the phone's nav come over the speakers.

And I use bluetooth to stream Google Music from my phone, and I can change tracks through my steering wheel controls. BUT, if I want to change playlists/stations, which I often do (every time I get in the car with my 7yo, she's like, "Can we listen to my playlist?" -- at least I got her to remove Shut Up and Dance with Me!!), I have to pick up my phone and do it on the phone UI while driving. :-/

I agree this is one of the features I really want to see Tesla add. I like being able to use waze on my cars screen and also like that it reads texts and makes it easy to reply to texts while driving. Hoping this comes via a software update at some point. Phone connectivity seems to be a after thought as BT streaming isn't working with the model 3 yet either. On the flip side I really like the way the built in tune in works on the model S and that the service is included.

Thanks, although as I mentioned I had searched and only found one from 2016. Most of those are even older than that.... the first one from 2014... so not very relevant any more. But you did find one I hadn't seen from July of this year.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any indication Tesla is planning to add it.
Thanks, although as I mentioned I had searched and only found one from 2016. Most of those are even older than that.... the first one from 2014... so not very relevant any more. But you did find one I hadn't seen from July of this year.

The fact that there are no newer threads is because absolutely nothing has changed, and all we can do is repeat the same things we said in the older threads. Yes it would be nice. No, there is no indication that Tesla is going to do it.

Could you expand on this? What risk?

I'm guessing you mean that a malicious app built for iOS or Android could interfere with the Tesla software? It is not like every Android & iOS app will be available on CarPlay/Android Auto. It is an extremely small set of apps tailored specifically to work with CarPlay/Android Auto.
just read the many, many threads that this has been discussed in excruciating detail.
But basically it comes down to the fact that most other car companies have totally crappy, disconnected head units with vestigial connection to the rest of the car. Tesla is fully integrated.
Most other car companies fire and forget and don't update anything over the air.
Most other car companies get a standard head unit and "integrate" it
Most (all?) current CarPlay implementations take over the entire head unit.
Despite ill-informed suggestions this is extremely hard to do.

This thread is just going to recycle all of the comments from the previous threads - unwatching now

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and dow
It's not going to happen for a lot of reasons that have been hashed over before. It's still surprising though that Tesla can't even do basic iPod/iPhone navigation vs. the "track skip" functionality they offer now.

A peak into the thinking on this is comments from Musk or others last year that Tesla was working on their own music streaming service.

They already have you captive in the car with no XM/AM and no real iPod/iPhone integration for music and audiobooks.... why not sell you a $20 a month music streaming service?

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
Most (all?) current CarPlay implementations take over the entire head unit.

I know that I can use other functions on my head unit while running android auto. I have used the maps through android auto and music from a USB stick at the same time. I do have a aftermarket unit though. Honestly this is the biggest downside I see to the model 3. Not saying it is a deal breaker but is "point" I give Audi over Tesla. On the flip side Tesla has over the air updates for all the software which is huge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Woosie
I know that I can use other functions on my head unit while running android auto. I have used the maps through android auto and music from a USB stick at the same time. I do have a aftermarket unit though. Honestly this is the biggest downside I see to the model 3. Not saying it is a deal breaker but is "point" I give Audi over Tesla. On the flip side Tesla has over the air updates for all the software which is huge.

Yes, the over the air updates balance it out. I bought my 340i two years ago. There have been two updates to the car firmware in that time and there are still a few outstanding bugs. It's more or less been abandoned. They do offer OTA updates for the maps of the navigation system which is at least a step in the right direction.

In another 5 years all manufacturers will be doing what Tesla does now but we're not there yet.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Yes, the over the air updates balance it out. I bought my 340i two years ago. There have been two updates to the car firmware in that time and there are still a few outstanding bugs. It's more or less been abandoned. They do offer OTA updates for the maps of the navigation system which is at least a step in the right direction.

In another 5 years all manufacturers will be doing what Tesla does now but we're not there yet.
Hmm I am not aware of any firmware updates to my 2014... unless they did them during annual maintenance and didn't mention it. There are a couple of bugs with music over bluetooth but I've gotten so used to working around them that I barely notice them any more! I know there is a new touchscreen-enabled version of iDrive now, as of the 2017 model year.

I agree that OTA is where everyone is going. I have been reconsidering my plan to purchase my next vehicle vs lease, precisely because of how rapidly car tech is evolving right now. It seems like a good time to be leasing, at least if you are into tech.

First, I apologize if this has already been discussed to death. I did search first, and the only thread I saw dedicated to the topic was from 2016.

What, if anything, has Tesla said about whether/when they will support Apple CarPlay?

I drove an Audi over the weekend that had it, and it is pretty awesome. I didn't expect it to be a huge factor for me, but it now is. I have been on the fence between waiting for my Model 3 (the April end of my estimate is no longer looking realistic), buying a new BMW or Audi, or buying my current BMW when the lease is up in January. I've now eliminated the prospect of buying my 2014 BMW off lease, because BMWs of 2017 and later have CarPlay... so at a minimum there I'd want a CPO 2017 model, in order to get CarPlay.

I was pleasantly surprised that CarPlay even supports Google Music, which I had not expected - I'd figured it would only work for Apple Music. As an iOS+Google user I figured I'd be SOL. I use Google Music daily on my commute, and the ability to have that integrated into a touchscreen in the dash is pretty killer.

Reading more about it, I realized that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto impart a certain level of "OTA updates" to non-Teslas. No, the car's software itself can't be updated, but you can and will have new functionality become available to you through CarPlay. For example, if Apple opens up CarPlay to competitor's maps, Google Maps and/or Waze could become available overnight to iOS users with CarPlay. Same thing applies on the Android side.

From all indications; Tesla wants to own and control all the infotainment and the whole car software. I say if they want to do that, they have to keep up and hopefully be better.

There is so much they could do if they want that strategy. One small example is TeslaWaze. Each Tesla car reporting to others.

Could you expand on this? What risk?

I'm guessing you mean that a malicious app built for iOS or Android could interfere with the Tesla software? It is not like every Android & iOS app will be available on CarPlay/Android Auto. It is an extremely small set of apps tailored specifically to work with CarPlay/Android Auto.
No, I wasn't talking about the app. If Tesla do include Car Play/Android Auto; Tesla will be at the mercy of Apple/Google fixing their bug/security hole. Given a Tesla is always connected and can be 100% controlled by software, that's a huge risk.

• Disagree
Reactions: dm33 and hockeythug
No, I wasn't talking about the app. If Tesla do include Car Play/Android Auto; Tesla will be at the mercy of Apple/Google fixing their bug/security hole. Given a Tesla is always connected and can be 100% controlled by software, that's a huge risk.

There is no exploit where the iOS or android device can get control of the vehicle via CarPlay or Android auto.

They are literally separate and it's not possible.

It's not a huge risk. Apple carplay is a solved problem. Several manufacturers are already doing it. Tesla has no unique risk here.