Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not happening. Tesla is too fond of vertical integration. I see a future where the entirety of the Tesla experience is all Tesla. Maps and routing software by Tesla. Music by Tesla.

It would be nice to have Carplay / Android Auto, but there'd need to be a fundamental shift in how the company sees the infotainment experience in their vehicles. From my perspective, Tesla is allowing outsiders into the environment (hardware & software) as a necessary evil and would have 100% of everything in house if it wasn't impractical to do so.

There is no exploit where the iOS or android device can get control of the vehicle via CarPlay or Android auto.

They are literally separate and it's not possible.

Yeah. I don't know what that guy is talking about. Carplay doesn't even run on the car's system. All it does is fancy screen sharing from the phone which does all the work. He is spreading fake news about security risks.

Yeah. I don't know what that guy is talking about. Carplay doesn't even run on the car's system. All it does is fancy screen sharing from the phone which does all the work. He is spreading fake news about security risks.

Spreading fake news? Read this

Android Auto review: A beautiful, but beta alternative to awful OEM solutions

The final part of Android Auto is the "Receiver Library" which is the software that makes a car Android Auto-compatible and lives in the car infotainment system. The Receiver Library lets Android Auto take over the display, and it sends the phone touch inputs and other car data. This library can run on an Android, QNX, or a Linux-based infotainment system. This part is the car manufacturer's responsibility, so it's also the most difficult to update.

So there is a stack on the car's infotainment system, they are not separate.

Spreading fake news? Read this

Android Auto review: A beautiful, but beta alternative to awful OEM solutions

The final part of Android Auto is the "Receiver Library" which is the software that makes a car Android Auto-compatible and lives in the car infotainment system. The Receiver Library lets Android Auto take over the display, and it sends the phone touch inputs and other car data. This library can run on an Android, QNX, or a Linux-based infotainment system. This part is the car manufacturer's responsibility, so it's also the most difficult to update.

So there is a stack on the car's infotainment system, they are not separate.

Obviously there is a interface between the two systems otherwise it wouldn't work.That's like claiming the HDMI ports on your TV are a security risk in hookup a Blu-Ray player. Where are these documented CarPlay/Android Auto security risks? Sounds like fake news.

Obviously there is a interface between the two systems otherwise it wouldn't work.That's like claiming the HDMI ports on your TV are a security risk in hookup a Blu-Ray player. Where are these documented CarPlay/Android Auto security risks? Sounds like fake news.
So now the claim that they are separate system has been disputed.

Vulnerability is not disclosed to the general public until it has been fixed most of the time. Heck, company even pay for vulnerability discovered by outsider. Just because it's not documented does not mean it doesn't exist. Ever heard of NSA hacking tools set?

So now the claim that they are separate system has been disputed.

Vulnerability is not disclosed to the general public until it has been fixed most of the time. Heck, company even pay for vulnerability discovered by outsider. Just because it's not documented does not mean it doesn't exist. Ever heard of NSA hacking tools set?

OK, I was staying out, but this is just lame. Obviously anything can have hacking exposure. Tesla better get rid of their LTE connection, remote unlocking, bluetooth streaming and playing music off of USB sticks, because any of those are vectors for hacking attempts. You have failed to show why this is any more dangerous than any of the others (it's certainly far less dangerous than the remote app interface).

The most probably reason that Tesla hasn't implemented this while other car manufacturers have is that the other manufacturers use off the shelf head unit components with support already built in. Tesla uses a custom implementation of everything and would need have a custom implementation of the receiver library. Their programmers are busy with EAP and FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
OK, I was staying out, but this is just lame. Obviously anything can have hacking exposure. Tesla better get rid of their LTE connection, remote unlocking, bluetooth streaming and playing music off of USB sticks, because any of those are vectors for hacking attempts. You have failed to show why this is any more dangerous than any of the others (it's certainly far less dangerous than the remote app interface).

The most probably reason that Tesla hasn't implemented this while other car manufacturers have is that the other manufacturers use off the shelf head unit components with support already built in. Tesla uses a custom implementation of everything and would need have a custom implementation of the receiver library. Their programmers are busy with EAP and FSD.

In the case of CarPlay I believe that Apple dictates that when Carplay is active it needs to fully occupy the vehicle display.

This in and of itself, disregarding any other technical constraints would prevent Tesla from ever implementing it.

Reactions: MP3Mike

Great on what you said, but going back to my statement. Adding CarPlay/Android Auto does increase security risk and why would Tesla do that? Thus why I said it's highly unlikely, is that wrong? People bash me by saying Car Play and Android Auto are bullet proof

Trying to understand the hype re: CarPlay.

I'm Renting right now a Volvo XC90 with product installed.

It's Awful.....maybe just volvo's interpretation?

CarPlay has its uses. Volvo interpretation is the same because everyone's CarPlay is the same.
Well they aren't exactly the same, in that the overall experience has some dependency of the quality of the car's infotainment system in general.

I have only experienced it in an Audi, and it seemed pretty excellent. Display was bright and intuitive. Audi has a touchscreen as well as physical controls to access and control the different apps. Admittedly, though, I was on a test drive so it wasn't an extensive experience. The salesman plugged my iPhone in and it seamlessly showed my Google playlists, my text conversations, etc.

In most cars you have to physically tether the device. BMW is
currently the exception in that they support CarPlay over bluetooth. I'm sure others will catch up soon.

Well they aren't exactly the same, in that the overall experience has some dependency of the quality of the car's infotainment system in general.

I have only experienced it in an Audi, and it seemed pretty excellent. Display was bright and intuitive. Audi has a touchscreen as well as physical controls to access and control the different apps. Admittedly, though, I was on a test drive so it wasn't an extensive experience. The salesman plugged my iPhone in and it seamlessly showed my Google playlists, my text conversations, etc.

In most cars you have to physically tether the device. BMW is
currently the exception in that they support CarPlay over bluetooth. I'm sure others will catch up soon.

I have what was Kenwood's high end Carplay offering from last year in an older Acura we own. It works fairly well although on my older phone it periodically shows a black screen or the head unit has to be rebooted. It does require a physical USB connection.

It takes over the head unit when it is active although you can go to the Kenwood home screen and it shows the album artwork of whatever Carplay currently has going along with the normal Kenwood controls for changing sources.

I've rented a Ford, Chevy and had a loaner BMW all of which had Carplay in the last six months. All of them are identical as far as the Carplay integration itself is concerned, the only difference is the different manufacturer's home screens when you are not in Carplay as well as some minor differences in touch screens vs steering wheel controls or jog shuttles.

The biggest misconception about CarPlay from those who have never used it is that it is going to mirror any app from your iPhone. A common thing I see people say is "I'd love to have <fill in the blank app> on my head unit while driving". They don't understand that only a tiny number of curated apps work with Carplay and super popular apps like Waze, Google Maps, Twitter, etc., don't work with it. I think the last count I saw was about 30 CarPlay apps and nearly all of them are audio apps.

The biggest misconception about CarPlay from those who have never used it is that it is going to mirror any app from your iPhone. A common thing I see people say is "I'd love to have <fill in the blank app> on my head unit while driving". They don't understand that only a tiny number of curated apps work with Carplay and super popular apps like Waze, Google Maps, Twitter, etc., don't work with it. I think the last count I saw was about 30 CarPlay apps and nearly all of them are audio apps.
Are you saying I can't catch Pokemon by tapping my car's infotainment screen??

Hopefully Apple will soon open the door to competitors' map apps. Then CarPlay will be able to support Waze and Google Maps. Of course if you have an Android phone, you are in luck on both counts already... That'd almost be enough reason to replace my iPhone.

Are you saying I can't catch Pokemon by tapping my car's infotainment screen??

Hopefully Apple will soon open the door to competitors' map apps. Then CarPlay will be able to support Waze and Google Maps. Of course if you have an Android phone, you are in luck on both counts already... That'd almost be enough reason to replace my iPhone.

My whole family has iPhones so that's not going to happen. I don't see Apple giving Carplay access to any other mapping app any more than they allow you to choose what email client you want to be the default in iOS.

Great on what you said, but going back to my statement. Adding CarPlay/Android Auto does increase security risk and why would Tesla do that? Thus why I said it's highly unlikely, is that wrong? People bash me by saying Car Play and Android Auto are bullet proof

Having a USB port in the car also increases the security risk. So does having a web browser. I think the security risks CarPlay and Android Auto are minimal, because the attack surface is minimal (third part apps run on the phone and only talk to the car though a restricted API), and the car's infotainment system is already firewalled from the car's critical functions.

Having a USB port in the car also increases the security risk. So does having a web browser. I think the security risks CarPlay and Android Auto are minimal, because the attack surface is minimal (third part apps run on the phone and only talk to the car though a restricted API), and the car's infotainment system is already firewalled from the car's critical functions.
LTE/USB are already on the car by Tesla, I don't care about that. This is talking about adding more stack on top not by Tesla/ It will create higher security risk which is why it is highly unlikely Tesla will do it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja