Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have carplay in my wife's 2017 Volt and I don't get what the hype is all about. Apple map sucks compared to Waze / Google maps, I found it annoying how Siri always tries to read your incoming text messages (must have siri turned on for Carplay to work) and overall I just don't feel it adds any value at all.

I would much rather see Spotify integration for the US vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: Porfiry
We have carplay in my wife's 2017 Volt and I don't get what the hype is all about. Apple map sucks compared to Waze / Google maps, I found it annoying how Siri always tries to read your incoming text messages (must have siri turned on for Carplay to work) and overall I just don't feel it adds any value at all.

I would much rather see Spotify integration for the US vehicles.
Is there no way to to change the text reading in settings somewhere? That does sound annoying.

CarPlay supports Spotify.

Agree about Apple Maps. With an iPhone I want CarPlay for its support for Google Music and texts. As I mentioned above, if I were to get a car with CarPlay/Android Auto I might seriously consider switching back from iOS to Android just for Waze. On the other hand, if I were to get an Audi I could have Virtual Cockpit navigation (with Google Earth overlay) alongside Google Music on CarPlay on the head display...

I wish that Tesla would find a way to support other superior music and map services like other car makers are doing. IMO they should focus on what they do well and leverage what others do well.

Well, as soon as you go to your messages (for example on your iphone) it starts reading the new message. I haven't found a way to turn this feature off yet but if anyone knows how-to feel free to tell us :)

Waze supports Spotify too so I guess if Tesla integrated Waze (I know it's not going to happen probably) then it would be great.

As far as Audis.. I commute a good 28 miles each direction / day and wanted a car that's comfy and has HOV access that's why I went with the model S.

If you don't need to have HOV lane access for faster commute or don't care about gas prices (kinda expensive here in CA) then by all means you should get a car that offers everything you're looking for. It's the 2nd most expensive thing people buy after a home so make sure you get what you will be happy with! The new S4 is very pretty ;)

edit: thanks for that link, I'll give it a shot tonight! :)

Reactions: WhiskySTL
That's good but you are talking to a software engineer with more than 10 years of experience
I have worked with some brilliant software engineers and some really stupid software engineers. I have worked with "java developers" who know less java than I do (I am not a software engineer). I have worked with too many contract SW engineers to count who had to be let go because they were not what they made themselves out to be - but who quickly moved on to other gigs, building up years of "experience" of scraping by as the lowest common denominator on a team. Bragging about your experience as a generic "software engineer" like it proves you are a security vulnerability genius actually makes you less credible than you were before.

I have worked with some brilliant software engineers and some really stupid software engineers. I have worked with "java developers" who know less java than I do (I am not a software engineer). I have worked with too many contract SW engineers to count who had to be let go because they were not what they made themselves out to be - but who quickly moved on to other gigs, building up years of "experience" of scraping by as the lowest common denominator on a team. Bragging about your experience as a generic "software engineer" like it proves you are a security vulnerability genius actually makes you less credible than you were before.
Oh ya, I also have Master degree in Information System Auditing and I designed and programmed security framework for a software that was certified by California Department of Justice. You can believe what you want to believe, I am done with this thread.

Oh ya, I also have Master degree in Information System Auditing and I designed and programmed security framework for a software that was certified by California Department of Justice. You can believe what you want to believe, I am done with this thread.

So you have all of these credentials but you don't understand that the infotainment system in the car and the drive systems are completely separated from each other?

You have all of these credentials and supposed expertise and don't understand that Google and Apple both integrate Carplay via a secured API that only provides the ability to do screen display and basic control integration (volume, track skip, jog shuttle selection of on-screen elements)?

You rail about how Tesla won't take the security risk even though the following companies have all had their engineers look at Carplay and Android Auto under the hood and have integrated it into their offerings;

Yes, I'm sure that the engineers doing infotainment at Tesla are sharper and more knowledgeable about the supposed "security risk" than Google and Apple engineers as well as all of these guys. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Abarth
Acura
Alfa Romeo
Audi/VW
Bentley
BMW
Buick
Cadillac
Chery
Chevrolet
Cowin Auto
Chrysler
Citreon
DS Auto
Dodge
Ferrari
Fiat
Ford
Genesis
Havma
Holden
Honda
Hyundai
Jeep
Kia
Lambo
Lincoln
Maserati
Mercedes
MG
Mini
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Opal
Peugot
Porsche
Renault
Roewe
Seat
Skoda
Subaru
Suzuki
Vauxhall
Volvo

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't know why people are arguing about this - the simple reason why Tesla does not include Apple Carplay and Android Auto is that they want to control the ENTIRE user experience in their vehicles. They'd rather have no other company in the infotainment ecosystem. Slacker and Spotify are on the way out with Tesla Music. Wouldn't be surprised if Google Maps got the boot if and when Tesla has the spare resources to create a mapping system that's designed around their self-driving car hardware/software.

Reactions: voip-ninja
I don't know why people are arguing about this - the simple reason why Tesla does not include Apple Carplay and Android Auto is that they want to control the ENTIRE user experience in their vehicles. They'd rather have no other company in the infotainment ecosystem. Slacker and Spotify are on the way out with Tesla Music. Wouldn't be surprised if Google Maps got the boot if and when Tesla has the spare resources to create a mapping system that's designed around their self-driving car hardware/software.

You are right... but having conspiracy theories that Tesla does not allow it because of super secret squirrel security sounds better to some knowledgeable types.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
FYI, found this article comparing Apple CarPlay with Android Auto. Android Auto does look even better... You can't beat Google Now (not to mention Waze!). I seriously may switch phones if I end up in a car that supports it, although I've enjoyed my iPhone very much.

Android Auto vs. Apple CarPlay: Which In-Car System Is Right for You?

I really like android auto. Few things I think are huge. Number one is just say ok google and ask the assistant. No need to push any buttons. Can have it send texts, enter a destination in the gps etc. Number 2 3rd party map app support. Works great with Waze. I use waze all the time for traffic and notifications, third internet radio apps, 4th reads messages from text and even facebook messenger. Really hoping Tesla decides to support it at some point. I have it in my car now and it is really useful.

I really like android auto. Few things I think are huge. Number one is just say ok google and ask the assistant. No need to push any buttons. Can have it send texts, enter a destination in the gps etc. Number 2 3rd party map app support. Works great with Waze. I use waze all the time for traffic and notifications, third internet radio apps, 4th reads messages from text and even facebook messenger. Really hoping Tesla decides to support it at some point. I have it in my car now and it is really useful.
After now having had a few months of hands on use of Android Auto on our other car, I couldn't agree more. Just very smooth and intuitive. Nice having Waze integrated now (although some features from the full app are missing). I'm finding interacting via Google Assistant a treat. Our younger kids love it as well as they will keep asking Google random questions during drives. Would be nice to have in our Model X...

Reactions: THXULTRA