Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no requirement from Apple to "take over the whole screen". Most Carplay implementations already leave a sidebar or similar with other UI elements on the screeen in addition to the Carplay UI. The screens in most cars are just too small to implement a real windowed mode. I'm sure Apple would be happy to support Tesla with Carplay.
This is true. My Bolt has Carplay and there's still a bottom menu bar. Carplay does not take over the whole screen.

I would love to have Carplay in the Tesla. But I know there's a 0.001% chance of it ever happening. Only way it does is if Apple buys Tesla...

I miss CarPlay - having Waze on the big screen, Amazon Music, and my text messages read to me is greatly missed! Hopefully Tesla can add it before other manufacturers start rolling out electric models.
That's actually the only way it might happen, if an actual EV competitor were to offer AA or CP and have it be a selling point. Right now, there aren't any real EV competitors.

I think Carplay is one thing they can't add after purchase as it's hardware based. Even if they decide to add it - will probably have to purchase a new car

My Kia Soul EV did not have CarPlay for the first two years I had it. Kia released a downloadable software update (via computer to SD card) and added CarPlay to my system.

kia/hyuandai are an exception - they came with the chip but didnt have software ready yet.
Carplay and Android Auto are mostly remote display devices. Meaning the car screen is being used as a display, so no updates are needed on the car itself. One exception is adding new features, for example WIreless Carplay is only supported by BMW and Pioneer. Android Auto just released a new version that all Android Auto users will be able to use. Android Auto's new look and dark theme now rolling out (Updated) and Carplay will have a refresh with IOS 13. Android Auto's new look and dark theme now rolling out (Updated)

Tesla could even implement them via a popup, just like calendar or rear view camera, and then the user can decide whether they want it up, closed, or collapsed to the bottom like the music controls.

(Really liked AA on my previous Bolt. Hated CarPlay for its awful third party app support (Spotify and Waze) and return an iPhone XR and went back to Android because of it)

iOS 13 will bring many new Car Play features, including :

Adjustable screen size
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that change the size of the display dynamically.

I'm curious if this is something Tesla needs to implement CarPlay. Could work the same way as the current media player on the M3 (hidden, bar at the bottom, mid size screen)

• Informative
Reactions: tambam
I gave up hoping that Tesla will bring CarPlay to my M3, so I went the DIY route and added CarPlay myself. While this isn’t as good as having the CarPlay interface on my main Tesla screen, I now have a CarPlay display on a cheap android tablet mounted to the left of my steering wheel. There’s a fairly inexpensive product out of China called Carlinkit (I got mine from Amazon, but you can also find it on Alibaba and eBay) that connects to the tablet via a USB OTG cable and to my phone via a regular lightning cable. This makes the tablet look like a CarPlay headunit to the phone and the tablet displays the CarPlay screen. The tablet connects to the audio system via Bluetooth and even the left track wheel on the steering wheel can be used to control the play/pause/next/previous media tracks in CarPlay.

Of course, this was after some trial and error. Turns out some Fire tablets have polarized screens that make them unreadable in landscape with sunglasses on and none of the Fire tablets I have seem to support USB OTG Y-cables that charge at the same time, so I ended up buying a knock-off android tablet can do OTG and charging simultaneously.

Also, this product also says it supports Android Auto, but I haven’t tried that.

• Informative
Reactions: dlinsley
I gave up hoping that Tesla will bring CarPlay to my M3, so I went the DIY route and added CarPlay myself. While this isn’t as good as having the CarPlay interface on my main Tesla screen, I now have a CarPlay display on a cheap android tablet mounted to the left of my steering wheel. ...

Interesting! I’d love to have CarPlay on the Model 3, but I don’t know if I’m as motivated as you to take that route. Right now, I’m more or less able to get by using Hey Siri with the phone docked in the console. But the biggest thing my wife and I miss is the ability to get incoming text notifications and the text-to-voice reading of those messages by Siri.

Love my Tesla. Haven't loved Apple since a week after getting my iPhone 3 way back when.

Would love to see Android Auto implemented. Wireless would be a spiffy extra. Until then, working on getting a decent phone mount working that doesn't require looking down so much to see or interact with.

Apple Music has a car app so Tesla would not have to use CarPlay to get Apple Music native.

The Taycan is going to get the Apple Music car app first along with 3 years of LTE data (we get 1 YEAR of Elon time data and who knows when that is up). This likely means higher quality (think Apple requires at least 128kbps and could be the full 256kbps) audio than we (Tesla) are allowed (probably around 64kbps). No mention of other music services but sure they could be added by apps. [OT]Can't wait to see the Taycan next month and looks like it may be the first NON Tesla REAL EV. Of course it is Porsche priced but looks like it will perform. Hope they have one at the North American HQ next month and may go by to see one for fun.[/OT]

While CarPlay/Android Auto is a likely a NO GO for Tesla it sure would be nice to have the Apple Music app added now that this is allowed by Apple and the opening for future apps. Realize the extra data usage could be a problem but Tesla could charge for it.

Porsche is integrating Apple Music into the all-electric Porsche Taycan – TechCrunch