Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early last year, Elon talked about allowing "apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display". To me, CarPlay and Android Auto seem like the way to do that, but who knows what he had in mind.

Tesla is moving away from an SDK and instead planning to allow app mirroring from iPhones to center consoles

Thanks. During this whole thread I was trying to remember when Elon made this comment so I could reference it. Of course, Tesla seems to change their minds about such things all the time.

Also here's something to note that I had posted on another thread

"Actually this isn't true anymore! 9TO5Mac
"During WWDC earlier this month, Apple made an important announcement coming soon to its HomeKit platform with iOS 11 that didn’t get enough attention. It’s introducing software authentication support, which isn’t only a big deal for getting older, already shipping accessories on the platform, but also notable in general for Apple which for the most part requires a hardware authentication chip in accessories that pass through its official Made-for-iPhone (and iPad, and Apple Watch) licensing program."

Tesla could easily implement CarPlay via an update~

"During WWDC earlier this month, Apple made an important announcement coming soon to its HomeKit platform with iOS 11 that didn’t get enough attention. It’s introducing software authentication support, which isn’t only a big deal for getting older, already shipping accessories on the platform, but also notable in general for Apple which for the most part requires a hardware authentication chip in accessories that pass through its official Made-for-iPhone (and iPad, and Apple Watch) licensing program."

Oh, that is big. I always thought that having to have the MFi chip was a big barrier to getting it into Tesla's.

8 Out of 10 Americans Want Apple CarPlay in Their Next Car

Given the popularity of Android, I don't believe that even 8 of 10 Americans are IOS users, so that says a lot. Before buying a S, one of the criteria I used to rule out multiple cars and manufacturers from consideration was Carplay support, or at least the ability to replace the stereo with an aftermarket system. Lexus could have been my first choice, but I never so much as looked at a single Lexus, knowing their shortcoming. I only considered Tesla after giving a lot of thought to various other features.

But not having the IOS integration is still a net negative in my mind. Hopefully, something good will happen with a future update one day.

I own a Tesla Model S (and live in Hong Kong). In Hong Kong, spotify is available to use on the Model S. Unfortunately, it is far from reliable and 50% of the time, it just won't play any music. I frequently need to reboot the system for it to work - even then it hardly does.

When the Model S came out, the infotainment system seemed quite advanced. However, if you look around and what the competitors from BMW, Audi and the like are doing, Tesla's system has lagged behind. Android Auto, Apple Car play etc are all integrated. Tesla's software updates prioritize the optimization of autonomous driving rather than fixing bugs on the infotainment system and mapping software, I would find a great deal more useful! I find these systems crucial for safety as a growing number of accidents are occurring because of texting - these apps use their voice assistants to help avoid those issues.

HomeKit

8 Out of 10 Americans Want Apple CarPlay in Their Next Car

Given the popularity of Android, I don't believe that even 8 of 10 Americans are IOS users, so that says a lot. Before buying a S, one of the criteria I used to rule out multiple cars and manufacturers from consideration was Carplay support, or at least the ability to replace the stereo with an aftermarket system. Lexus could have been my first choice, but I never so much as looked at a single Lexus, knowing their shortcoming. I only considered Tesla after giving a lot of thought to various other features.

But not having the IOS integration is still a net negative in my mind. Hopefully, something good will happen with a future update one day.

Reminds me of old commercials: 8 Out of 10 Americans (who expressed a preference) said their cars deserved it...

I think the biggest issue with CarPlay on a Tesla is that it takes over the whole screen. You can’t do that on a Tesla because you need their UI to be able to control basic functions of the car, including continuously displaying the speed, which I believe is required by law.

Tesla would need to be able to display it as a sub-screen in their UI, like the web browser, and I'm not sure Apple would allow that.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I think the biggest issue with CarPlay on a Tesla is that it takes over the whole screen. You can’t do that on a Tesla because you need their UI to be able to control basic functions of the car, including continuously displaying the speed, which I believe is required by law.

Tesla would need to be able to display it as a sub-screen in their UI, like the web browser, and I'm not sure Apple would allow that.
There is no requirement from Apple to "take over the whole screen". Most Carplay implementations already leave a sidebar or similar with other UI elements on the screeen in addition to the Carplay UI. The screens in most cars are just too small to implement a real windowed mode. I'm sure Apple would be happy to support Tesla with Carplay.

This is inaccurate. Here is Volvo’s implementation and Tesla could certainly do something similar.

246A971E-2C9E-4342-9F7E-9DD8D4B9470A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948