Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What apps do you want Carplay for?

Spotify & Google maps on the Tesla are great, and on the odd occasion I use Waze or Apple maps I just do it on my phone, so for me Carplay would add nothing really (and I did use Carplay a lot on my BMW).
I miss Waze’s camera alerts the most, Apple Music too… I know I can Bluetooth it but it’s much nicer using the screen

What apps do you want Carplay for?

Spotify & Google maps on the Tesla are great, and on the odd occasion I use Waze or Apple maps I just do it on my phone, so for me Carplay would add nothing really (and I did use Carplay a lot on my BMW).

We've been around this loop on several occasions, that's a pointless question.

Personally I dislike the Spotify interface and its algorithms, I have literally no idea how it became so popular, but I also have no objection to it being available for you and I'm really happy that you like it.

Similarly I find Tesla's routing to be poor when compared to pretty much every routing app I have on my phone, I'd rather use almost any other one most of the time. It absolutely refuses to use one of the main roads in my area for some reason, which isn't a problem for me because I know where I'm going, but anyone who doesn't know the roads is going to take the most ridiculous route around narrow residential streets and I strongly suspect the problem is not confined to my locality.

So I'd like the option to use CarPlay if it's all the same to you, thanks.

You can't even complain that Tesla are diverting development resources to provide it in this case 😉

We've been around this loop on several occasions, that's a pointless question.

Personally I dislike the Spotify interface and its algorithms, I have literally no idea how it became so popular, but I also have no objection to it being available for you and I'm really happy that you like it.

Similarly I find Tesla's routing to be poor when compared to pretty much every routing app I have on my phone, I'd rather use almost any other one most of the time. It absolutely refuses to use one of the main roads in my area for some reason, which isn't a problem for me because I know where I'm going, but anyone who doesn't know the roads is going to take the most ridiculous route around narrow residential streets and I strongly suspect the problem is not confined to my locality.

So I'd like the option to use CarPlay if it's all the same to you, thanks.

You can't even complain that Tesla are diverting development resources to provide it in this case 😉
Wow, what a bitchy reply!

It’s not a pointless question, because I am interested in the answer, if it’s all the same to you, thanks.

1000% this!

Elon has been quite outspoken about Apple in the past, and Elon's shadow looms large over Tesla in terms of the things it does.

If they can add Disney+ to the car, which only existed as of the end of 2019, and they haven't added anything Apple related in the years prior - it's a pretty safe bet that it's not a technical reason they haven't done it, it's a political / emotional one.

Reactions: mswlogo
I miss Waze’s camera alerts the most

I have car SatNav on mute, for the map, and Waze for the voice commands. I find Waze chooses better route, but it is ignorant on optimising for charging (it will take me long-way-round-M25 if that is quicker ... for me the extra 5 - 10 minutes of charging needed would kill it!

Its definitely a compromise - I don't have phone-stuck-to-screen, its just in the phone charger - so I can't easily see the phone map, and its too small for my aging eyes anyway. If the two start to diverge significantly I might have to pull over and check. But I check route overview (of both) before I start. They either agree, or I decide I'm happy with Waze, and once I make the turns Waze wants the car SatNav will change ... I mostly use the car map display to zoom in when I need help with complicated junctions and exact timing / position of which turn to take etc.

And I have the benefit of any other Alerts that Waze gives me - my experience is that it reroutes for accident far sooner than Tesla would do.

Apple are famously controlling of their platform, I bet Tesla would need to provide them with source code access to the car in order to get MFI certification with CarPlay, clearly a conflict of interests there.

Also, Apple's integration with EVs (Set up electric vehicle routing in Maps on iPhone) I think isn't actually a thing yet, at least I've not seen it mentioned in any of the content on the BMW iX or i4 which was supposed to be the first with it.

I get that often folks are driving where they know they won't need charge, but from a user experience things will get confusing pretty fast if people who don't understand plug in their CarPlay phones and this then contradicts onboard navigation that knew about charging.

I think it's one of those things that is easy to ask for, but it would be rubbish if we actually got it as people here seem to expect.

Apple Music (not streaming but easy access to music on the phone rather than the poor bluetooth option you get as standard), Audible, Webex, Apple Maps, Waze, Messages (much better than the standard) and an interface that is larger/safer to use whilst driving.
All of those, except Apple maps, should be available in the upcoming Tesla app store, not great for right now, but at least there is a solution in the pipeline. And it should work better than Carplay, hopefully none of the carplay issues like music not auto resuming, carplay not connecting/launching, no need to have your phone with you or connected to the car etc.