Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, what a bitchy reply!

It’s not a pointless question, because I am interested in the answer, if it’s all the same to you, thanks.

Maybe it is, but this kind of question is usually followed up with some reason why those of us who want it should actually be happy with what Tesla have given us or wait for some rumoured update that may never arrive or that Tesla should not divert resources into providing it because <something> is more important.

All of those, except Apple maps, should be available in the upcoming Tesla app store, not great for right now, but at least there is a solution in the pipeline. And it should work better than Carplay, hopefully none of the carplay issues like music not auto resuming, carplay not connecting/launching, no need to have your phone with you or connected to the car etc.

Bit like this guy 🤣

Anyway, no offence was meant.

Incidentally, if you have any concrete news of the Tesla app store and who has confirmed they will be contributing to it then I'd be very interested.

Maybe it is, but this kind of question is usually followed up with some reason why those of us who want it should actually be happy with what Tesla have given us or wait for some rumoured update that may never arrive or that Tesla should not divert resources into providing it because <something> is more important.

Bit like this guy 🤣

Anyway, no offence was meant.

Incidentally, if you have any concrete news of the Tesla app store and who has confirmed they will be contributing to it then I'd be very interested.
The thing is, I can get why people who haven’t owned a Tesla would be apprehensive about losing Carplay, I had Carplay for 3 years and despite its annoying foibles I mentioned above, I was really apprehensive about losing it when I bought my first Tesla.

But I wouldn’t want to use any other maps on the Tesla, the built in one uses the best maps & satellite view (Google maps) and includes automatic Tesla charger routing. Also features like sending destinations to the car from your phone, clicking on my next appointment address in the Tesla calendar etc. just make it better overall than any nav on Carplay.

And Spotify is the best music streaming service, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a Spotify account as a premium Spotify account is included in every car with the premium connectivity subscription.

I went from being a die hard Carplay fan, to now not missing it at all, so I think other people should be able to too.

And Spotify is the best music streaming service, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a Spotify account as a premium Spotify account is included in every car with the premium connectivity subscription.
But here’s the thing, a lot of people pay for other streaming services and they don’t want to migrate to Spotify because of the car they drive.

Others have music saved to their phones and don’t want to stream.

Also features like sending destinations to the car from your phone, clicking on my next appointment address in the Tesla calendar etc. just make it better overall than any nav on Carplay.
But if I’m already on a mapping app on my phone and set the destination I wouldn’t have to send it to Tesla because CarPlay/AA runs off the phone you just entered a destination on

As for the calendar, you literally have the same functionality you describe on CarPlay…
no need to have your phone with you or connected to the car etc.
But for 99% of people who own a Tesla, your phone is the car key

The thing is, I can get why people who haven’t owned a Tesla would be apprehensive about losing Carplay, I had Carplay for 3 years and despite its annoying foibles I mentioned above, I was really apprehensive about losing it when I bought my first Tesla.

But I wouldn’t want to use any other maps on the Tesla, the built in one uses the best maps & satellite view (Google maps) and includes automatic Tesla charger routing. Also features like sending destinations to the car from your phone, clicking on my next appointment address in the Tesla calendar etc. just make it better overall than any nav on Carplay.

I went from being a die hard Carplay fan, to now not missing it at all, so I think other people should be able to too.
Everyone has their own view on things, some like new others like their comfy old slippers. I personally find the nav on my BMW was far better than the one on the M3 particularly at junctions. Also having tried Spotify premium, I can say it’s not for me, I just don’t like it. So should I be able to like it as much as carplay, if so why?

Reactions: roadcred

I've not yet had any use for automatic routing via Superchargers and I would be happy to trust Tesla's maps if I was in that situation, but I have found the fundamental routing algorithm to be below par compared to Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze most of the time because it frequently sends me down narrow potholed roads and frankly I'm concerned about the long term damage I might be doing to my suspension.

As others have noted, some of those other features are already possible with native phone apps, so I'm not sure we can count them as advantages unfortunately,

Don't get me wrong, I use Tesla's navigation regularly but only because it's useful to know how far away from my destination I am and at the very least it will get me to where I'm going so that's better than Apple Maps was when it launched. Sometimes I think it even happens to take me by a good route, although I'm sure that's purely accidental.

I don't like Spotify, I would argue that it is not the best music streaming service but that's a subjective preference I think. I had it for 12 months when I got my car and now it's gone I don't miss it for one single second, I'm quite happy for you to keep it but why are the trying to argue that I should put up with it?

You can keep those features, I don't want to get rid of them. I'll probably even prefer them eventually - well, maybe not Spotify.

This is illustrating my point quite well - your requirements are obviously different from mine.

Reactions: Mrklaw and MrT3
I don’t trust Teslas routing via chargers anyway, I do my own sums. The only downside to using a 3rd party app is it wouldn’t precondition the battery.

As for the ‘app store’, it’s not Teslas way. They don’t even have an official API for third parties. That said. I expect Twitter to be in the cars anyway.

Well I have one of these to fit

But I'm waiting form my black dash trim to arrive from China before I fit it .... been 6 weeks so far

The dash came in 5 days with no duty to pay , but I have bought from a reseller not the manufacturer and I see a complaint they the latest IOS has broken the Car Play , I will post an update when I do get to fit it

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 74
In the OP the linked eBay item shows the screen being used as a makeshift stand-in for the Model S/X's dashboard display. Is this actually a thing? Or is that some dodgy eBayer with a flair for Photoshop making stuff up to sell tablets/screens? I've never used Apple CarPlay, but if there's a thing that could replicate the dashboard display that I'm used to from my Model X in the Model Y I'll be taking delivery of (at some hitherto undetermined point), that'd be ace.

What apps do you want Carplay for?

Spotify & Google maps on the Tesla are great, and on the odd occasion I use Waze or Apple maps I just do it on my phone, so for me Carplay would add nothing really (and I did use Carplay a lot on my BMW).
I have an Apple family subscription for my music. I’d be very happy to just be able to play iTunes in the car. I’m not interested in another subscription for Spotify when I pay for Apple. The Tesla Google maps isn’t Google. It’s a Google satellite overlay and uses another mapping service.

I don’t care about the other Apple car play features.

• Disagree
Reactions: teaston and Xdama

But I wouldn’t want to use any other maps on the Tesla, the built in one uses the best maps & satellite view (Google maps) and includes automatic Tesla charger routing.
The sat nav doesnt use Google maps for navigation. It uses Google only for the points of interest data. It constantly gets things wrong on my travels and is missing some streets. Turn directions are frequently wrong. Tesla uses Mapbox.

• Disagree
Reactions: teaston and candida
In the OP the linked eBay item shows the screen being used as a makeshift stand-in for the Model S/X's dashboard display. Is this actually a thing? Or is that some dodgy eBayer with a flair for Photoshop making stuff up to sell tablets/screens? I've never used Apple CarPlay, but if there's a thing that could replicate the dashboard display that I'm used to from my Model X in the Model Y I'll be taking delivery of (at some hitherto undetermined point), that'd be ace.
Yes, these screens can do this, you need to connect to a plug in behind the dash which is part of the car’s FSD computer. Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how it all hangs together.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
I have an Apple family subscription for my music. I’d be very happy to just be able to play iTunes in the car. I’m not interested in another subscription for Spotify when I pay for Apple. The Tesla Google maps isn’t Google. It’s a Google satellite overlay and uses another mapping service.

I don’t care about the other Apple car play features.
You don’t need a subscription for Spotify in the car, the car comes with its own spotify premium account included with premium connectivity, you don’t even need to touch the screen, just press the voice control button and ask for any song or album you like!

The maps are Google, as well as the satellite view being Google maps, and all the Google maps POIs are on there too. Tesla add further POIs, mainly the Superchargers. Only the routing is done by Mapbox, I assume because Google routing has no provision for routing/calculating charging stops. The routing is absolutely fine, it’s not perfect, but then neither is Google routing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have one of these to fit

But I'm waiting form my black dash trim to arrive from China before I fit it .... been 6 weeks so far

The dash came in 5 days with no duty to pay , but I have bought from a reseller not the manufacturer and I see a complaint they the latest IOS has broken the Car Play , I will post an update when I do get to fit it
I looked into these types of displays before, but one of the main drawbacks of them is software updates for the car can stop them working, and it can then be months before the screen manufacturer releases updated firmware to fix it (which can be very tricky to find and install, it’s not automated), in fact Hansshow stopped producing their screen, due to this issue.

Is this not an issue with this particular screen that you have bought?

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK