Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The maps are Google, as well as the satellite view being Google maps, and all the Google maps POIs are on there too. Tesla add further POIs, mainly the Superchargers. Only the routing is done by Mapbox, I assume because Google routing has no provision for routing/calculating charging stops. The routing is absolutely fine, it’s not perfect, but then neither is Google routing.
The routing is the most important thing when it comes to sat nav and Google is far better than Mapbox in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into these types of displays before, but one of the main drawbacks of them is software updates for the car can stop them working, and it can then be months before the screen manufacturer releases updated firmware to fix it (which can be very tricky to find and install, it’s not automated), in fact Hansshow stopped producing their screen, due to this issue.

Is this not an issue with this particular screen that you have bought?
I will let you know .. but my VW stopped working for 10 months until it was updated with Apple Play , lets see how this goes .. when I get round to actual fitting it !

Reactions: DeejUK and teaston
The sat nav doesnt use Google maps for navigation. It uses Google only for the points of interest data. It constantly gets things wrong on my travels and is missing some streets. Turn directions are frequently wrong. Tesla uses Mapbox.
The most dangerous downside is that Tesla speed limit information is wrong particularly when it comes to 20mph zones in London and I suspect elsewhere. That is why you must always use waze which has that info updated 100%.

Reactions: Neilio and Cogarch
So I'd like the option to use CarPlay if it's all the same to you, thanks.

Whilst technically am sure it's not hard for Tesla to add CarPlay, as long as Elon is the boss it's not going to happen.

'Personality clash' I think is a nice way to put it, or just grown men behaving like kids (like we all do). Same thing happened with Mway charging in the UK when it looked liked Tesla and Ecotricity was about to join forces, and to this day we are still feeling the pain though Vicne selling up seem to have helped things.

So till Tim Cook goes, wish as much as you want, there is zero chance of CarPlay appearing in any Tesla, other car brands also make great EVs and offer CarPlay though :).

Reactions: teaston and Durzel
Whilst technically am sure it's not hard for Tesla to add CarPlay, as long as Elon is the boss it's not going to happen.

'Personality clash' I think is a nice way to put it, or just grown men behaving like kids (like we all do). Same thing happened with Mway charging in the UK when it looked liked Tesla and Ecotricity was about to join forces, and to this day we are still feeling the pain though Vicne selling up seem to have helped things.

So till Tim Cook goes, wish as much as you want, there is zero chance of CarPlay appearing in any Tesla, other car brands also make great EVs and offer CarPlay though :).

Indeed, this is why I was trying to help out by assuring people that you can live without carplay, but all I’ve been met with is hate for some reason!

Ultimately if someone wants to use Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps etc. it’s easy enough to use it on your phone with a mount, I have mine here on a magsafe mount:
B05FF103-708C-46E6-BB58-6365DA5DB790.jpeg

Indeed, this is why I was trying to help out by assuring people that you can live without carplay, but all I’ve been met with is hate for some reason!

Ultimately if someone wants to use Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps etc. it’s easy enough to use it on your phone with a mount, I have mine here on a magsafe mount:View attachment 797592
can you post the link to mount?

Reactions: Durzel
Most sat nav use online search engines so you can locate any charger and route you there. The thing that might be missing is when you want the car to find a charger automatically if it can’t make the whole journey on a charge. To do that, the sat nav needs to know when you’re likely to run out, not so easy using your phone. I do all the maths myself as, say I’ve got a 200 mile journey and want to arrive with 100 miles in the car, Tesla wouldn’t do that automatically, I could charge anywhere after 50 miles into my journey to achieve what I want (I recon I’ve a 250 mile working range), and let’s say there’s a good choice at 100 miles it would be better to use that and split the journey 50/50 than use a busy one at 150 miles. If you’re routing yourself and deciding stops, then the integration isn’t an issue,

can you post the link to mount?
It’s actually a combination of the Temai mount and Brodit magsafe holder that I made:

TEMAI 2021-2022 Model 3/Y Gravity Phone Mount (RHD) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09B6X8131/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YJK2Q2F3Q54E6Z8D1PB0

5DA81996-B5D8-45CC-BDA6-A181C3C6A17F.jpeg
C2488ABA-0855-47BD-ABA8-E3C2B82CD89E.jpeg

The routing is the most important thing when it comes to sat nav and Google is far better than Mapbox in my opinion.

If I prefer Apple iTunes to Spotify what’s the problem with that? I’m entitled to like what I like. However, I’m so very delighted that you’re so happy with Spotify. Please continue.
This must depend on the part of the country you are in, I've never seen any notable difference between Tesla's route and Google Maps route for a journey that's within range.

I'm also not entirely sure it's as simple as Tesla use Mapbox. If the car does not have a data connection it will still route using the data that's stored locally on the car, but if it's online it routes using some kind of online service that considers traffic and charger occupancy. It make sense that it's not google, as it couldn't consider all those other factors.

The mapping also needs to consider topography and all the other factors that go into the estimation of what battery will be consumed to give you a prediction of what you will arrive with, and if charging is needed. Clearly Google Maps doesn't do this in the normal APIs. I know in Polestar the version of maps in Google Automotive attempts to do this, but from what I gather from Polestar owners it's not at all accurate.

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
Most sat nav use online search engines so you can locate any charger and route you there. The thing that might be missing is when you want the car to find a charger automatically if it can’t make the whole journey on a charge. To do that, the sat nav needs to know when you’re likely to run out, not so easy using your phone. I do all the maths myself as, say I’ve got a 200 mile journey and want to arrive with 100 miles in the car, Tesla wouldn’t do that automatically, I could charge anywhere after 50 miles into my journey to achieve what I want (I recon I’ve a 250 mile working range), and let’s say there’s a good choice at 100 miles it would be better to use that and split the journey 50/50 than use a busy one at 150 miles. If you’re routing yourself and deciding stops, then the integration isn’t an issue,
From my own experience I have stopped longer at one charger than the car has planned to give me the extra range at my destination. I have also seen it change it's mind on charging stops, because the energy usage had improved and one stop wasn't required.

Just curious if you use [or "could effectively use" :) ] ABetterRoutePlanner, or whether your calculations include some aspects not covered by ABRP?
I’ve tried ABRP when travelling across Europe but didn’t really get on with it. I work out my route I want to go and then pick the charging options I want and only worry if it can’t be done. We’re heading to Devon soon, I’ve heard horror stories of Darts Farm(?) being really busy so will want to avoid that if it’s easy to do so. Not sure ABRP would take that into consideration

I’ve heard horror stories of Darts Farm(?) being really busy

Yes, its a bottleneck until the new Exeter Supercharger opens. More stalls than it used to have (8 old 150kW and 4 new 250kW/CCS ones)

will want to avoid that if it’s easy to do so

Awesome shop there though ...

Not sure ABRP would take that ["want to avoid"] into consideration

Yes, you can say "Avoid this Supercharger" - map-pin changes to a (-) to remind you that its set to AVOID.

I have exported ABRP data to Excel and then marked up for a trip to e.g. Alps. I want to know what I must leave a Supercharger with for some option - e.g. Calais in order to avoid Sevenoaks which is an old type, not many stalls, and typically is busy with everyone else just off the train ... so I have Min %age to reach the one after that - but if I have plenty of time before my train I can charge enough to get all the way home. Also what charge I need at a supercharger to reach the next one - i.e. if I arrive there "comfortably" then press on, otherwise stop and charge. e.g. if rain causes the need for more stops

So a bit like your manual planning, except that I am using ABRP as a driver-aid - much the same as I do with FSD o_O

For each stop I twiddle with:

Must ARRIVE-WITH or DEPART-WITH %age - e.g. an overnight stop where I want enough to do some sightseeing running-around, or because I will charge overnight and will depart with 100%

Set DEPART time (where that is different to "Leave when done")

My DWELL TIME - e.g. if I'm going to stop for lunch I can set to, say, 60 minutes and let the car charge as much as possible. (ABRP lets you set either, and also time & kW for a 3rd party charger)

(I also set the DEPART time for the beginning to 00:00 [and for any subsequent days setting off leg] so that all timings are relative to start time)

Having done all that what-if fiddling :) (and printed it, or saved it as an ABRP Favourite), I then click on alternative route/superchargers and ADD WAYPOINT to experiment. Coming back from Alps there is a west/east choice that can be made. One is more motorway, faster, longer. The other slower/shorter. Because shorter means less charging which can make it quicker

Here's a quick fiddle - Cambridge to Edinburgh in an M3 LR 18" Aero. 5 MPH wind, 20C, leave at 100%, arrive at 25%

By default ABRP has routed via Ferrybridge and Adderstone.

If I add Grantham as a waypoint (or mark Ferrybridge as "Avoid") it then uses Washington for the 2nd charger stop (and decides it is better to have slow-top-end to 86% rather than adding a 3rd charging stop). This is 15 miles, and 8kWh shorter, but 8 minutes longer. At 30p / kWh that's a saving of £2.40 🤓

ABRP.gif

This must depend on the part of the country you are in, I've never seen any notable difference between Tesla's route and Google Maps route for a journey that's within range.
The most common thing that I encountered was the audio instructions saying take a specific exit/bare left/right and it being wrong. The navigation was trying to direct the longest or awkward route when the layout of the road was much simpler. I had this mainly in Lee on Solent and Gosport and around Glasgow. It was consistently wrong on speed limits.

I'm also not entirely sure it's as simple as Tesla use Mapbox.
That’s a fair point. Mapbox is short of the full implementation of what’s going on.

Overall, I think it’s a far better system than other manufacturers. No one is perfect and not everyone will be happy.

From research it appears that Tesla are planning something of their own using fleet data. I imagine that’s no easy task.

• Disagree
Reactions: teaston
You don’t need a subscription for Spotify in the car, the car comes with its own spotify premium account included with premium connectivity, you don’t even need to touch the screen, just press the voice control button and ask for any song or album you like! But if that’s not good enough for you, I guess there’s just no pleasing some people.

The maps are Google, as well as the satellite view being Google maps, and all the Google maps POIs are on there too. Tesla add further POIs, mainly the Superchargers. Only the routing is done by Mapbox, I assume because Google routing has no provision for routing/calculating charging stops. The routing is absolutely fine, it’s not perfect, but then neither is Google routing.
According to my car premiu is being taken off me in May this year. I pay for a family account on Apple so don’t wish to pay another subscription for something doing the same thing. I generally have no idea of album names (nor song titles for that matter lol). Everytime I selected an artist in Spotify it played 3 songs by them and then went of to play random somgs by other artists which just irritated me.
The mapping is still nowhere near as good as my previous car, nor even a TomTom sat nav, junctions are absolutely diabolical and forget street names. They need to improve the zoom in function significantly to get anywhere near an external mapping device like G maps, TomTom or other car manufacturer.

Reactions: DM206433
According to my car premiu is being taken off me in May this year. I pay for a family account on Apple so don’t wish to pay another subscription for something doing the same thing. I generally have no idea of album names (nor song titles for that matter lol). Everytime I selected an artist in Spotify it played 3 songs by them and then went of to play random somgs by other artists which just irritated me.
The mapping is still nowhere near as good as my previous car, nor even a TomTom sat nav, junctions are absolutely diabolical and forget street names. They need to improve the zoom in function significantly to get anywhere near an external mapping device like G maps, TomTom or other car manufacturer.
I find the lack of ability to stay zoomed in frustrating when in areas I don’t know. Around Glasgow it gets a lot wrong with voice commands.

I’m the same as you regarding Spotify v iTunes. I have spent years using iTunes and I can’t be ass’d to set up Spotify - I know that it’s an awesome app - I just want to stick with what I have. Hopefully, Tesla will implement iTines on their App Store or add iTunes as a service to use.

• Disagree
Reactions: teaston and Xdama
I’m a newbie to tesla and I find the built-in saynav better than I expected it to be, however I still miss CarPlay and would prefer to use apple maps if it was available. I miss being able to share ETA with people for example.

that said, I wonder if the requirement to use teslas own mapping solution is related to navigate on autopilot? Does it have special mapping data that tells it where slip roads are etc?