Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Media support I get, but why do people need WhatsApp / Teams support when driving? And if you're not driving, you've got your phone in your pocket you can use?
We have pool cars in the business which have CarPlay and I actually find it useful that it reads out Whatsapp messages whilst driving.

Would be a useful feature in the Tesla.

But admittedly it's kind of solving a problem that I never knew I had.... 🤣

for Waze at least can't you hook your phone up with the audio source set to bluetooth and use waze on the phone in landscape mode? Can use 'hey siri' for music too in the background while still having the main tesla display available.

should also be able to do 'hey siri read my last whatsapp message' as long as you notice you got a notification. I don't think it'll read it out by default - but I don't think carplay does either

Media support I get, but why do people need WhatsApp / Teams support when driving? And if you're not driving, you've got your phone in your pocket you can use?
I mean you can say the same about regular messages, which the native system supports… if anything CarPlay is safer in that it never actually shows you the text of any message and only reads it out unlike the native system which does and encourages you to take your eyes off the road.

I don't think it'll read it out by default - but I don't think carplay does either
CarPlay does read out Whatsapp messages. Any CarPlay supported messaging apps will only read out your message and (rightly IMO) never show the text content for you to read

Reactions: btc1k
CarPlay does read out Whatsapp messages. Any CarPlay supported messaging apps will only read out your message and (rightly IMO) never show the text content for you to read

but it doesn't read by default right? you have to use siri? Which would work fine with a dash mounted phone - I've used siri to control apple music when its sat on the wireless charger and it pipes the audio through the car

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
If they had better integration you could see your car being good for video calls while charging. The in cabin camera doing its thing and the screen showing you the other participants. For business people that might be more useful than Disney+. To do that though, you need to accept integration with Teams, whatsapp, facetime etc, and I'm pretty sure carplay doesn't do it yet anyway, but that could well be the type of service that once FSD happens business users would love. Plenty of time to sort it out :)

How would that work?

The devices establish a peer to peer wi-fi connection after an initial discovery/handshake over Bluetooth - the phone turns into a wifi hotspot that the airplay device joins to allow streaming.

That gives you the advantage of better bandwidth available with wifi.

But. As far as I know Tesla only fit a wifi aerial in the the wing mirror, which can make connections to devices inside the vehicle quite flakey.

I strongly suspect that they don't want to fit a second antenna and that may also be behind the resistance to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, because adding it as wired only makes them look like they're a long way behind and the wireless experience will be rubbish.

• Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
we’re never getting back physical controls for climate are we?

Its a logical extension but I don’t really want apple screens for my main dash.
I adjusted them so infrequently in my old car that I'm not really bothered by how it is in the Tesla. I love that I can re-enable sync with two taps now instead of going through 5 separate bloody menus to do it!

The new CarPlay looks amazing. It’s a real shame Tesla aren’t compatible. I’ve tried CarPlay on rental cars before and really hoped my next car would have it, but alas no. Tesla won out despite the lack of CarPlay for me because of boot size and supercharger network. The ioniq 5 does look good!!

Polestar and Volvo already have
Aren’t they they same entity? Or do you mean Volvo ICE cars do this?

Either way it seems pretty damn strange to essentially admit defeat on your own UI/UX and allow a completely different company to “own” the space. Particularly as it requires another device nearby to function.

Almost surreal.

Aren’t they they same entity? Or do you mean Volvo ICE cars do this?

Either way it seems pretty damn strange to essentially admit defeat on your own UI/UX and allow a completely different company to “own” the space. Particularly as it requires another device nearby to function.

Almost surreal.
Most give it as an option

Oddly enough my long standing issue is I like to listen to audio books in the car.

But if I browse the phone long enough before getting into car, it unloads whatever I was listening to, and then defaults to music app. This has been happening for a decade for me with ios.

With apple car play this is easily fixed, without it I'm already moving and now have to pull over to legally access the phone and change the play back source.

I don't need apple play on tesla necessarily, but I would like if they would add apple music/apple books/amazon music and so on.

I'd like waze for speed cameras

I'd like 3rd party chargers.

they can clearly do it, Disney being an example.