Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not certain.. I doubt it's just streaming, otherwise it'd be easy to implement a receiver and be done with it (licensing might stop airplay but some kind of chromecast variant wouldn't be hard). Obviously the whole-car variant is mac infra as it would have to still work if the driver didn't own an iphone.

Just had a play in the car as I haven’t used waze in years. Car set to bluetooth input, and Waze set to apple music for my music service.

- I can change tracks with my steering wheel (I could anyway because the bluetooth audio connection in the car sees the music)
- I can see whats coming next if I make the now playing view a bit bigger
- I can pick new things to listen to with ’hey siri’ (would prefer the button on the wheel to work but the phone picks up my voice fine)
- I can set a destination in waze and the voice will lower the music volume for spoken directions then raise it again - as far as the car is concerned its just an audio stream. If you didn’t want to play music and wanted to use the car instead, you could set waze to use bluetooth phone call which also lets you talk to siri as above
- You can ask siri to eg ‘ask waze to drive home’ and it’ll set a destination using waze. Still need to press the ‘go’ button strangely, don’t know if there is a setting in the app that can bypass that but pressing a button if the phone is securely mounted should be ok (no different to carplay). I couldn’t see any way to set waze as the default navigation app - just asking to ‘navigate to’ launched apple maps. Adding ‘ask waze’ doesn’t seem a big issue there really.

- couldn’t test incoming messages as I didn’t receive any during the test, but you can use siri to say ‘read my latest messages’ and that should work just fine. If you have ’announce incoming messages’ that may work also as you have a bluetooth connection so it may auto-read the same way it does with headphones. I’ll see if I can borrow my wife’s phone to test that at the weekend.

main limit is mounting options. if I’m on my own a magsafe mount to the right of the steering wheel is probably the easiest to see. If I have a passenger that may also work as I could pass the phone to them easily enough without looking at it. Would be kind of useful to have a way to mount a phone over the ‘car’ view on the tesla screen which is the least useful area (keeping speed etc visible) but may be difficult without some messing around making your own cradle

is there anything else significant that carplay allows that you can’t do without it?

on the wireless charge pad its hard to see - although in portrait if you put the music player view on the map is on the bottom 2/3 of the screen so you can see it, but it’d be a ’glance’ so detailed directions may be difficult. Handy for speed camera alerts or whatever you want alerting for. maybe mounting to the left of the main tesla screen would work - still not close but at least near the tesla map view?

I don’t normally search for new destinations by typing while driving anyway - normally before I set off. If needed I’ll give voice a go and if that doesn’t work I’ll find somewhere to pull over to type it in. So that’d be the same with waze ‘hey siri ask waze to navigate to XX’. you need to press the big red ‘go’ button on the app but thats all

Reactions: WllXM
on the wireless charge pad its hard to see - although in portrait if you put the music player view on the map is on the bottom 2/3 of the screen so you can see it, but it’d be a ’glance’ so detailed directions may be difficult. Handy for speed camera alerts or whatever you want alerting for. maybe mounting to the left of the main tesla screen would work - still not close but at least near the tesla map view?

I don’t normally search for new destinations by typing while driving anyway - normally before I set off. If needed I’ll give voice a go and if that doesn’t work I’ll find somewhere to pull over to type it in. So that’d be the same with waze ‘hey siri ask waze to navigate to XX’. you need to press the big red ‘go’ button on the app but thats all
You could mount your phone in landscape orientation in front of the steering wheel similar to where a conventional instrument cluster would be. I have a Brodit mounting clip that fits well and we find ideal.

Brodit Phone Mounts

Reactions: Mrklaw
You could mount your phone in landscape orientation in front of the steering wheel similar to where a conventional instrument cluster would be. I have a Brodit mounting clip that fits well and we find ideal.

Brodit Phone Mounts

that looks good and I’ve had brodit in the past. Spigen do a magnetic one that can sit either alongside the screen or near the window

Reactions: KennethS
the ability to switch audio sources on the phone.

i.e. siri won't let me open audible and start playback as far as I can tell

No. You can use Siri to open audible then press play, then Switch to Waze with Siri. And Waze has audible support in the app so you can play/pause/skip and switch apps although the button to switch is quite small it would be doable

No. You can use Siri to open audible then press play, then Switch to Waze with Siri. And Waze has audible support in the app so you can play/pause/skip and switch apps although the button to switch is quite small it would be doable
Doesn't work for me, opening audible is easy enough but then I get the "Sorry, you'll need to continue in audible" when i ask for it to play.

bought a spigen phone mount (with magsafe charger built in). From having a play, it looks like it would let me arrange the phone in any of these locations

0C7001F1-3095-42B5-9157-A5127549EF66.jpeg

the instructions suggest mounting on the top - I don’t know if thats because it has a lip that sits on top of the screen edge to help prevent it falling off, or the bottom of the screen at the back isn’t fully flat?

1 is closer to me and as driver I’d be paying attention to the map view. But 2&3 would be lined up with the map more, and be more accessible by the passenger if anything needs changing.

Anyone have examples of where they’ve mounted?

This is coming to the market, basically, they have copied Michal Gapinski's Pi and put it into a single box, time will tell if its any good and can keep up with Tesla updates but we will have to wait and see, on Aliexpress for just over £100 delivered.

This is coming to the market, basically, they have copied Michal Gapinski's Pi and put it into a single box, time will tell if its any good and can keep up with Tesla updates but we will have to wait and see, on Aliexpress for just over £100 delivered.
Not sure I’d be happy giving them money for stealing Gapinski’s code

Reactions: Arran
You need a secondary SIM card for that device. I assume in order to still have your car connect back to Tesla for app functions etc.
They've been updated to allow you to use your phone as a hotspot for the box so there's no need for a SIM card

@GeorgeSymonds where has the edit button gone? I've had to break the golden rule and double post because I couldn't edit my last post