Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably because their own stuff is far better, and tightly integrates vehicle management directly into the display and navigation, there really is no need for either.

CarPlay does several things much better (in my opinion) and after 3 years with it and now 3 months without it in my X, I miss it very much. My list would be:

- Better music interface, Tesla’s struggles trying to unify features of different services vs native apps on CarPlay

- Waze routing, consistently better arrival estimate and often route than Tesla

- Voice commands are better handled through Siri. Been calling and texting, navigation and selecting music for years, Tesla users are excited to get a poor version of that in late 2019.

- Phone, shows favorites first (duh) and gives access to voicemail

- Usability: Buttons and other controls better positioned and sized, results in much less mis-taps than on Tesla

- ‘App switching’, the Tesla double black bar at the bottom is a usability mess.

Anyway just my opinion and it’s subjective. I personally could live with a somewhat foreign iOS interface somewhere on the big screen of the X.

Apple evidently needs special hardware installed and I'm sure wants some royalties for implementation.
And honestly, I don't think that the adoption is high enough to justify.

Other manufacturers are adding just so they can be technically advanced, not a Tesla problem.

Royalties and/or hardware requirements are likely a major reason.

Another factor is that these are two separate solutions, that are essentially "add ons" to the vehicles interfaces, and don't necessarily integrate cleanly.

It seems inevitable that Tesla will have to do something about this in the next few years, if they are the only EV manufacturer without any screen mirroring support.

Tesla (Musk) promised to provide a 3rd party app store as early as when the first Model S was sold in 2012 - and we're still waiting... But allowing 3rd party apps to run on the MCU raises huge security concerns, because it would require Tesla to have a bullet-proof operating system that would completely isolate the 3rd party apps from any critical vehicle operations.

A better solution is to have the 3rd party apps run on an external processor (Apple and Google already provide this and an app store for mobile devices) and limit access to the vehicle to the display, limited screen inputs, and audio input/output.

Years ago, Musk promised Tesla would provide a 3rd party or internally developed screen mirroring feature - still waiting...

And like most new features Tesla releases, we'll likely get little or no warning when Tesla announces it. Maybe version 11...

Reactions: Vitaman