Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Carplay with a WIFI Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several times a week, I get into my car and the wifi is off. I need to click on the LTE logo and turn wifi on and then it connects to my autokit hotspot. Any idea how to keep the wifi on so that it connects to the Carlinkit automatically as soon as the device is ready?
The normal behavior is or Tesla to turn off the WiFi when you put the car in Drive. With my TeslaAndroid setup I'd try to be sure it was connected before driving away.
How is the phone call support on this? I added a carplay box to a 2015 BMW and that was the wonkiest part.

Has anyone tried the the Hansshow dispay unit? My Model Y is on order and i'm on the fence over which to try.
I'm pretty sure it will be the same as what you experienced in the Tesla without the T2C. That's because the phone is also connected directly to the Tesla and uses it's speakers and mic for calls. I can control a call with the native Tesla interface or with CarPlay.

Just got my T2C a couple of days ago. It's got it's quirks, as do all of the solutions for getting CarPlay in your Tesla. Since I've only used it for two days, and I'm trying to learn my way around it's quirks, I'm not going to give it 5 stars and I'm not going to give it 1.

Prior to getting this I've been using the TeslaAndroid setup with the Raspberry Pi. So I had a SIM with AT&T and a data plan. I put that SIM in the T2C when I set it up. However, on my second day of using the device I think I've realized that I'm not actually using the SIM and am instead using Bluetooth hotspot to my iPhone.

One recommendation I can give right now - if you're going to get one of these don't rely too heavily on the included documentation. I think the insert in mine was out of date. Plus, their instructions and marketing materials have some of the worst English I've seen published. So be prepared to spend some time in threads like this one or watching videos or other online help.

Reactions: charlesoris
I agree, the instructions are mostly based on using the SIM. I don’t recall where I found the correct instructions but once I did I followed the BT method of setup. I did not have a SIM since I purchased the T2C knowing I didn’t need one, this was the selling point for me.

I started with Tesla-Android because the T2C required a SIM at the time. As soon as I got to Tesla-Android working, there was news about the T2C firmware update that removed the need for a SIM so I took the plunge.

What's weird about the Bluetooth tethering, is that I can't always tell if it's on or not. When my phone becomes the hotspot for the T2C I'll see a little green background on the time in the top left, so I know it's connected. But, that green background doesn't always appear on phone. When that happens it seems it's still got connectivity as I'll browse to sites and it works.

It's important that I have a working data connection all the time as I rely on TeslaFi to log my drives to help with my billing for work.

I guess you don’t see a BT connection, AutoKitxxxx?
I do, but isn't that also part of the handshake process to get CarPlay connected? I think on other CarPlay solutions your phone connects to Bluetooth of the CarPlay device then it gets handed off to WiFi (but the WiFi connection your phone uses for CarPlay is "invisible". Does all that sound right?

I do, but isn't that also part of the handshake process to get CarPlay connected? I think on other CarPlay solutions your phone connects to Bluetooth of the CarPlay device then it gets handed off to WiFi (but the WiFi connection your phone uses for CarPlay is "invisible". Does all that sound right?
Yes it does. In this case I believe its visible. I also see an Ethernet type connection while connected. I will take a pic later.

Reactions: timeshifter
@timeshifter lets try this again, hopefully pics are a smaller size.

38B27E9C-364B-4749-873F-EB41E0C047DC.jpeg
C15B4CFF-6F3B-4B6D-93B6-B48902DD87B3.jpeg
669F1619-491F-47C6-B879-4329128FEB67.png

I just packed up the t2c to return it. I never got the CarPlay dialog to come up. When I’d go to Settings>General>CarPlay, the device would appear on the available cars list but only showed a spinning icon next to it, and would eventually time out. I looked at every FAQ and read all the Reddit posts I could find. I do use T-Mobile as my service provider and there were special instructions in the FAQ, but it didn’t seems to make a difference.

Thanks. I still will contend that having your phone connected to the AutoKit-XXXX hotspot is a mis-configuration. One, because that was pointed out to me on the TeslaAndroid discussions. Two, because I think I've noticed that my phone is really slow accessing the Internet in that case. If you think about that - the data comes in to the phone, out to the T2C via the hotspot, then back to your phone.

I just packed up the t2c to return it. I never got the CarPlay dialog to come up. When I’d go to Settings>General>CarPlay, the device would appear on the available cars list but only showed a spinning icon next to it, and would eventually time out. I looked at every FAQ and read all the Reddit posts I could find. I do use T-Mobile as my service provider and there were special instructions in the FAQ, but it didn’t seems to make a difference.
Hate to see it. I'm still new to the T2C so not sure I could help too much, but maybe post some pics and screenshots of what you're seeing and I or someone else might be able to help.

Is T-Mobile your phone service provider? Do you have a SIM for the T2C?

Hello, Please post or send to me the wired carplay solution. Thanks
Because you asked, the open source “Tesla Android project“ (google this phrase) supports wired CarPlay & wireless CarPlay. I use wired CarPlay on long road trips. I’d use the older 2022.45.1 version rather than the latest 2023.4.2 because new version freezes up after 15 minutes. That bug will be fixed pretty soon. I‘ve been using it everyday for months. Here is a page outlining the equipment I used & explanation of parts.

Last edited:
Hate to see it. I'm still new to the T2C so not sure I could help too much, but maybe post some pics and screenshots of what you're seeing and I or someone else might be able to help.

Is T-Mobile your phone service provider? Do you have a SIM for the T2C?
T-Mobile is my phone provider. I did not use a SIM directly in the T2C.

To their credit, they did reach out to me on Amazon. Unfortunately they did not read the careful troubleshooting report I put together and kept responding with notes copied from the online FAQs. I finally responded that the device failed to achieve their step #1 which was to connect through Bluetooth, connect to 192.168.3.1, and update. I was able to update it by connecting through WiFi. There was clearly something wrong with the Bluetooth connection on the unit I had. It would connect to my phone but never allowed access to the config page or gave the prompt that it was a CarPlay device.

Eventually I decided that the benefits of the device weren’t worth the effort I put into making it work. I’ll keep a lookout on what others say and revisit in the future if the device sounds more reliable.

I had similar experiences with them about a year ago with their adapter on an Android device. Kept trying to explain what was happening and it was like they didn't speak any English. Finally I made a couple of YouTube videos showing the problem. Support also improved when we moved the conversation to WhatsApp (or WeChat). I think they like to communicate through Amazon for some reason.

Note that it may have been a different Chinese vendor, or the actual manufacturer I was communicating with. These products are sold by lots of different sellers all claiming to be the manufacturer. I think that's one reason people complain that there are so few reviews on this device on Amazon. I bought mine. Later I Googled T2C and went to the Amazon link. It looked like the exact item I ordered but it was a different listing. Maybe the post the item again and again to start a clean slate of reviews.

I'm confused about the data flow with this. Does the T2C create a hotspot that you connect both the phone and the car? Or is your phone the hotspot? Does music play over the wifi? Is it hi-res or whatever quality the phone has? Or does it use bluetooth? Does it work over a USB connection to the car?

The only part of this I'm interested in is being able to play hi-res music on my phone and have it play in the car at full resolution. I have Tidal already and I'm mostly happy with that anyway, but if this will let me play hi-res 24/96 music from Qobuz, I'll buy one.

Because my Tesla is in the shop I used my daughter's Suburu this weekend and it has Carplay, the first time I've used it. It is nice that I can get everything from my phone with it, and it is a wired connection so I assume hi-res. That's a big assumption though. Also, Apple frequently limits music rates to 16/44.1 but maybe that's not an issue. In home audio I always know what I'm playing, but in the car so much is hidden.

For data connection the T2C connects to your iPhone's hotspot over Bluetooth. Your Tesla's WiFi connects to the WiFi signal that the T2C creates. When you load the webpage at tespush.com that is intercepted by the T2C and it's used for CarPlay, so you can think of CarPlay as a website that the Tesla browser is displaying.

For audio, it essentially works the same as it does in your Tesla without this device, your phone connects to the car via Bluetooth. So while using this you'll use the browser to control CarPlay (and by extension your iPhone), you'll have the Bluetooth source selected on the Tesla screen. Phone calls are handled similarly - Bluetooth just like without. This setup just gives you another way to control calls.

For your main concern - I don't think this will help you get the better audio quality that you desire. Unless there's a player on your phone that can output that music over Bluetooth.

You might want to look into the Tesla Android project. It's more flexible and powerful and can do many things including CarPlay.

For me I'm all about CarPlay and the T2C does a better job for me after one week of use.

I just tested. I “forgot” the WiFi AutoKit_XXX connection on my phone and no longer see this WiFi connection when using the T2C. I believe I may have connected to this WiFi connection while testing. Maybe this is why you see it?

I just tested. I “forgot” the WiFi AutoKit_XXX connection on my phone and no longer see this WiFi connection when using the T2C. I believe I may have connected to this WiFi connection while testing. Maybe this is why you see it?
Could be. I also did the forget command soon after I posted that question. So I haven’t seen it in a while. And I’m not looking for it as I’ve had a pretty good first week of usage, as I’ve got a pretty feel for how it all fits together now.

Reactions: jerome8283
Status
Not open for further replies.