Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay workarounds for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, I have seen products on the Internet that are said to make it possible to use Apple CarPlay on a Tesla. in fact, I have purchased two of them. But, I have not been successful getting either one to work. Does anyone have a solution for getting CarPlay to work with a Tesla Model S? If so, keep reading.

What Adapter or App provides the most eligant workaround for using Apple Car Play on a Tesla Model S? If you know of a relatively low-cost solution, please identify it and include step-by-step instructions fot a successful installation.

THANK YOU

The closest thing you'll get to CarPlay would be to output the screen of an iPhone over HDMI to a 3rd party HDMI adapter that inputs to the MCU via the camera line. Audio would need to be bluetooth. That would give you the audio and video, but not the interface. You'd still need to interact with the phone itself. This takes away most of the advantages that you have with a phone based interface in a car. Heck, in some states it's not even legal to interact with your phone while you're driving.

Upvote 0
I used CarPlay with my Ford Edge for almost 5 years before I sold it and took delivery on my Model S. The audio interface to my iphone music was much better than Tesla's bluetooth music version. And I really miss sending texts through Siri and audio reading of received texts. I have not found anything equal to that in Tesla OS yet. I have found that I can dictate and send texts, but it is not as refined. And I have not found a way for Tesla to read texts to me while driving and then voice prompt for my reply.

Upvote 0