Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I could suggest some anger management for you.

I am still amazed that strangers want to tell me how I should be using my car. If you don't want CarPlay, don't use it. Don't tell me in some condescending manner how I should not want it.

And just to be clear, listening to and responding to texts / emails using audio / voice is no different than talking on the phone hands free. Thus, unless you NEVER EVER make or receive calls in your car, don't start lecturing me about staying off the road if I want to hear a text while driving.

You can use anything you want in your car. You just need to buy the car that has features you want the most. That's why we have so many different brands for people to choose from.

Your point on hand free phone call is correct though. It is a distraction and should be kept to the bare minimum. Any extra things you do just add more risks for you and other people on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrGrPa
You don't need Apple's garbage in your car.
Lord almighty delivery me from the anointed who think they know best.

Tesla's lack of CarPlay/AndroidAuto is not a due to worries about aesthetics or UI design, it's due to Tesla management not prioritizing it. Tesla just does not care (enough) to make it happen because new buyers - and perhaps current owners to a smaller extent - don't care enough to force the issue.

Reactions: goRt
Ahem...

Porsche is integrating Apple Music into the all-electric Porsche Taycan – TechCrunch

Ball in Tesla’s court now. Personally I find CarPlay outdated compared to Tesla’s integrated system - but there are definitely some upgrades needed (SMS reading etc).

I have CP in my other card (Yukon) and its great, love it. But don't want it in my Tesla. However, would love BT or USB audio playback integration. Give me a choice of what streaming service I want that's integrated into the radio (Slack, Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music). To me that will be the best integration. CP is lightweight on features. Waze would be nice, sure.

I have CP in my other card (Yukon) and its great, love it. But don't want it in my Tesla. However, would love BT or USB audio playback integration. Give me a choice of what streaming service I want that's integrated into the radio (Slack, Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music). To me that will be the best integration. CP is lightweight on features. Waze would be nice, sure.

Yeah I had CP in my previous car for 3.5 years (2016 Golf R). I don’t miss it in my the Tesla.

Tesla is the last hold out on proprietary head units. Every other brand has phone screen mirroring.

On an average drive, I have to pick up my phone a half dozen times to use my preferred (and unsupported by Tesla) apps.

It is rather pathetic at this point. Annoys me every time I have to squint and read my phone screen on a drive. Feels like last decade.

So I thought I would miss Apple CarPlay. After having my car for a week, I have to tell you that I don't miss it at all.
First, although Bluetooth is not my cup of tea for Apple Music, it is actually okay for the car.
My address book is fine. I can use the microphone to call Siri and get whomever I want to speak with.
The big one is the map system. While in California last month I ran up 15.5 gb of data while using the map function for a week.
Now, I can put an address in my Apple Map and send it to the car and it keeps a list of the places to visit. It is preloaded in the car before I step in it. And I'm not using my phone's LTE to drift through locations.
Using the phone instead of the screen is not that bad. Not to mention, Tune-In is really an awesome app.

I thought I would miss Apple CarPlay, but put that in the basket of XMSatellite Radio, I miss neither of them right now.

R.

Carplay or no carplay - could Tesla at least add a 30 second fast forward button for podcasts?

It is these little things that Tesla's proprietary walled garden nav ignores. You get addicted to a phone media app or feature and then have to work with Tesla's closed implementation that is so annoying. Tesla needs to give up on their media implementation and follow all the other brands who embraced phone screen mirroring.

Tesla is the last hold out on proprietary head units. Every other brand has phone screen mirroring.
CarPlay is actually not screen mirroring. What I see on my phone is usually very different than what's on my car's LCD.

Attached is a pic of my phone w/Apple Maps on my Bolt and another w/a rental '19 Altima I recently had w/Waze on a visit to Arizona.
IMG_0049.jpg IMG_0146.jpg
I also used it on a rental '18 Elantra. None of these cars have built in nav systems. (Well, Bolt has something where you can subscribe to Moronstar to get directions but I'm not going to pay for that.) Many new cars now have both CarPlay and Android Auto support. Bolt's had both since it came out w/model year '17 in Dec 2016.)

Was also a bit surprised (or not so surprised?) that the '19 Altima had a USB-C port in addition to the typical USB 2.x port.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
CarPlay is actually not screen mirroring. What I see on my phone is usually very different than what's on my car's LCD.

Attached is a pic of my phone w/Apple Maps on my Bolt and another w/a rental '19 Altima I recently had w/Waze on a visit to Arizona.
View attachment 464167 View attachment 464168
I also used it on a rental '18 Elantra. None of these cars have built in nav systems. (Well, Bolt has something where you can subscribe to Moronstar to get directions but I'm not going to pay for that.) Many new cars now have both CarPlay and Android Auto support. Bolt's had both since it came out w/model year '17 in Dec 2016.)

Was also a bit surprised (or not so surprised?) that the '19 Altima had a USB-C port in addition to the typical USB 2.x port.

At least what android auto does is to host a server through USB where it renders an offscreen user interface which is sent over as a compressed stream. The infotainment in the car is actually a client which subscribes to that stream and shows it while sending touch screen feedback.

I would be happy with dumb screen mirroring in a portion of the Tesla screen. Some believe adding third party functionality would be a security risk (not me). Display of mirrored content with touch feedback is something unlikely to pose any risk. Plus, if every other car company can figure it out, certainly Tesla can.

I just want my well-manicured phone setup to be available while driving. Tesla may have the best proprietary system, but it cannot mirror my phone setup. Heck, even the 2-3 Teslas I drive regularly are not in sync for the entertainment options. They just need to cede the field when it comes to media.