Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple developing their own car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read this whole thread, so someone may already have made this point.

Anyways...

While Jobs was alive Apple used to be about "Making a dent in the universe".

Swooping in on Tesla's turf with electric cars, batteries/energy storage and maybe even solar panels would be one way to start making such a dent again.

Maybe there are other ways as well, but right now I can't think of any.

And like Musk has said repeatedly: Tesla will not be able to do this in time by themselves…

Last edited:
Apple Executive Adds to Chatter That Company Is Looking to Cars - Yahoo Finance

Confronted by a shareholder Wednesday at a rare public forum over where Apple is looking to invest its cash, Jeff Williams, Apple’s senior vice president of operations, seemed to suggest the automotive industry.

“The car is the ultimate mobile device, isn’t it?” Williams said during the Re/code conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. Pressed further by Re/code co-founder Walt Mossberg, Williams appeared to pull back a little, addressing the importance of Apple’s in-car information and entertainment system, CarPlay.

Apple Executive Adds to Chatter That Company Is Looking to Cars - Yahoo Finance

Confronted by a shareholder Wednesday at a rare public forum over where Apple is looking to invest its cash, Jeff Williams, Apple’s senior vice president of operations, seemed to suggest the automotive industry.

“The car is the ultimate mobile device, isn’t it?” Williams said during the Re/code conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. Pressed further by Re/code co-founder Walt Mossberg, Williams appeared to pull back a little, addressing the importance of Apple’s in-car information and entertainment system, CarPlay.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind during this discussion is the over 150 billion dollars Apple has parked overseas that they can't bring back to the US. Opening a car factory in Europe sure would be a good way to leverage that money.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind during this discussion is the over 150 billion dollars Apple has parked overseas that they can't bring back to the US. Opening a car factory in Europe sure would be a good way to leverage that money.

I agree. After last quarter, Apple now holds $193.5 Billion in Cash and Marketable Securities. At the end of this quarter, Apple's cash position may be one quarter of a trillion dollars. Their cash position, Apple's executives hinting at an automobile, and Elon's comments ("I hope Apple enters into the auto market, etc.") lead me to believe they are strongly considering entering into the auto arena. I believe Tesla will be involved in some way.

Re-conceiving what a car looks like and how it functions without a driver is right up Apple's alley. Their core competency isn't computers, phones or tablets, it is design. By 2020, which is the target date I hear about a possible Apple car, companies like Mobileye will have autonomous driving to license, and companies like Tesla will have inexpensive batteries and electric drive trains to sell. And Apple has five years to design a car that looks great and functions great without the need for a driver. Seems like a slam dunk to me.

And can anyone point to the experience Apple has in building ANYTHING with so much as a single moving part? Their hard drives were bought from someone else...

Technically Apple doesn't build anything today. They have Foxconn and other contract companies for that.

Foxconn announced they will start building EVs back in 2014 (currently not for Apple, for other customers).

There are also other contract options like Magna (where Apple execs also paid a visit according to sources).

Apple has all the cash in the world to choose the best supply options should they decide to go ahead.

Shouldn't that be "opening a car factory in the U.S."? No being able to bring back has probably a lot to do with not wanting to bring back for fiscal reasons. Ireland and the Netherlands are famous for the tax shelter constructions they offer.

This is baseless speculation on my part, but Apple's event this year (9 Sept. 2015) is in an unusually large venue: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/04/apple-decorating-bill-graham-civic-auditorium/

Before Apple was confirmed to have reserved the venue for its product launch event, some here speculated that it might have been being prepped for a Model X reveal: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/04/apple-decorating-bill-graham-civic-auditorium/

It's expected that Apple will launch iPhone 6S series, a new iPad, and a new Apple TV on Wednesday, but this doesn't seem to warrant the bigger than usual event. Could Apple be revealing plans for a car too? That would be insane if they rolled out a prototype of an EV. It would be the biggest product move in Apple's history. Ok, so I think that this most likely won't happen, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

This is baseless speculation on my part, but Apple's event this year (9 Sept. 2015) is in an unusually large venue: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/04/apple-decorating-bill-graham-civic-auditorium/

Before Apple was confirmed to have reserved the venue for its product launch event, some here speculated that it might have been being prepped for a Model X reveal: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/04/apple-decorating-bill-graham-civic-auditorium/

It's expected that Apple will launch iPhone 6S series, a new iPad, and a new Apple TV on Wednesday, but this doesn't seem to warrant the bigger than usual event. Could Apple be revealing plans for a car too? That would be insane if they rolled out a prototype of an EV. It would be the biggest product move in Apple's history. Ok, so I think that this most likely won't happen, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

if they did, i could see tesla stock tanking for a few days as the market goes nuts.

We passed one of the Apple development minivans today...
That is a remarkable assumption you are making about the purpose of that vehicle you saw.
I think it is possible that Apple is seriously planning on building a car.
I think it is unlikely that Apple is at the point of testing prototype hardware or software inside a conventional looking vehicle on public roads. But I could be wrong.

We passed one of the Apple development minivans today, on 280S.
It was in the far left lane, going maybe 5mph slower than everyone else.

My wife's remark was: "Well, if it's self driving you would think they would teach it to follow the DMV driver's guide!"

These have been vetted on Apple Rumor site for months. Indications are the vans are all about mapping and street photo data. Now, That could lead to data for self driving cars. Apple Maps or some sort of collaboration with the auto manufacturers.

from Apples product development, source says

Apple's recruitment of Tesla workers has had a "big impact" on the marque's ability to keep up with development of future vehicles, a well-placed source with knowledge of the situation told AppleInsider. Tesla is preparing to deliver its Model X crossover this month following numerous delays.

It's not clear how, or even if, Apple's plans have impacted the Model X. The Model S sedan also suffered significant setbacks during its development, which began well before the kickoff of "Project Titan."

The story may be different for the mass-market-targeted Model 3, however. Tesla's Model 3 is tentatively scheduled for delivery in late 2017, but whispers of delays are already circulating throughout the industry.

Apple is thought to have as many as 1,000 employees working on Project Titan, with many of those coming over from Tesla. The hires run the gamut from production managers to senior engineers.
Apple is thought to have over 1,000 employees on Project Titan, many poached from Tesla.
In February, Tesla founder Elon Musk revealed that Apple offered $250,000 bonuses to lure Tesla workers to Cupertino, an offer Musk said few had accepted.

"Apple tries very hard to recruit from Tesla," Musk said. "But so far they've actually recruited very few people."

The tide appears to have turned, however. A later report indicated that Tesla employees were "jumping ship" for Apple's project, which is "too exciting to pass up."

Thanks to the mounting problems for Tesla — still a fragile company despite its reputation — AppleInsider's source "would not rule out" an acquisition of Tesla by Apple.

Musk has acknowledged having formal meetings with Apple in the past, and despite categorizing such a deal as "very unlikely" he has been unable to tamp down the rumors. Adding fuel to the fire, Musk was spotted in deep conversation with Apple design chief Jony Ive at an Oscars afterparty in February.

Still, an acquisition would seem unlikely for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Apple's longstanding aversion to big purchases — the Beats deal notwithstanding. Apple seems to have overcome the recruiting hump, and Tesla has already released all of its patents into the public domain.

certainly doesn't sound good if Apple is really poaching Tesla's good engineers. initially this was blown off by Elon but this report makes it seem like it's got much worse and apple really is taking away Tesla's good talent. I know Tesla doesn't pay very well (per glassdoor), and I'd have to say as much as I love Tesla if apple offered me a substantially higher salary and bonus, sorry Tesla, I'd leave too. you gotta pay your engineer's top dollar if you want them to stick around.

Are we talking autonomous folks being poached or engineering in general? I doubt the X delays are due to poaching (though AP delays may be in part), but if they're losing engineers due to the work environment (hours worked, low pay etc), then I could see a big problem for Model 3.

I think the pay could be worked around with stock vs cash being given to employees, but if they're burned out and unhappy, that's not going to change much.