Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Iphone 8 or X?

Which new Iphone will you preorder?

• Iphone 8

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Iphone 8 Plus

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Iphone X

Votes: 78 83.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my X an hour or two late so I’ll get it early Dec. The smaller footprint with ~same screen size as my 7+ plus facial recognition made me do it.

If Apple ever provides for multiple sims as do ALL real Chinese phones I’ll buy three of them instantly. I really hate changing sims when traveling, which I do constantly. I hate even more the periodic loss of a sim while changing them on an airplane. In the meantime, it’s X, which no longer comes with a sim tool, btw.

If you are upgrading, go for the latest release. So for this one, I will choose X.

The other philosophy is that you get better value buying the previous model. You still get great performance, but at a much lower cost, and avoid the bugs that sometimes appear in the newest tech.

(I didn't take my own advice. I bought my SE on the first day. I wanted a smartphone and I liked the size. I still like it. Bigger phones hold no appeal for me and the SE does everything I want a phone to do.)

iPhone X, solid release. FaceID works in pitch black darkness (I have newborn twins, comes in handy often late at night!). The screen is great, camera is a bit better, etc.. etc.. I’ve upgraded from a 7Plus so the new smaller form factor with a similarly sized screen is great.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Ordered my iPhone x the day of release from ATT with delivery Dec 2 - 18. The next day I looked at the Apple site chose my store and they had it in stock. Canceled my ATT order, ordered online and picked up at my local store that afternoon... Great Phone.

Reactions: Whisky
We got our iPhone Xs on Friday, and I have done the switchover. In my post up thread I noted the change in iTunes theoretically not managing apps and requiring downloads of all current apps (in the App Store). I chose to do the iPhone upgrade/swap tethered to my Mac with iTunes (not from the Cloud and not with the new method of pointing the camera on the new iPhone towards the screen on the old one). After doing the migration, I waited while apps were downloaded from the Cloud (not shown as being installed through iTunes). Interestingly one of my legacy apps in my iTunes library but definitely not on the App Store reinstalled just fine (I did not need to do a manual install). Several older apps however appeared to reinstall on my iPhone X with a very small cloud symbol next to them. When I tried to launch these apps, a pop up message said that the app was not available on the App Store for download (but these apps did not load from iTunes). Not sure what determines how and when old apps get migrated. The few apps that had the small cloud symbol were not crucial. The one legacy app that was critical (and was still iOS 11 compatible) did load and works fine.

BTW my reasons for migrating from iPhone 7 to X:

Face ID--works really well, and specifically for a number of reasons Touch ID never worked for my wife, so she was constantly entering her passcode into her iPhone. I won't address the security issues, but the convenience is really great.
Screen--the OLED display is pretty spectacular (...yes, catching up with Samsung).
Camera--really spectacular.
Form factor--the size is only a bit bigger than my 7, but the display is as big as the iPhone Plus models
Processor speed--noticeably faster
Qi wireless charging--not mission critical, but nice to have.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Whisky
I ordered my 256GB iPhone X mid-morning on the 27th on T-Mobile's site. They said that it would ship between the 10th and 17th - estimated. I was fine with that since I was going to be in Florida on a trip during the Day One Rush on 11/3.

I got back on 11/8 to discover my phone was already on it's way and arrived that day.

Reasons for going from my 128GB iPhone 6+ to the 256GB X:

- Wireless charging. I now have a MUCH nicer setup in my car with a Qi-compatible dash mount. I just put my phone in and it's charging. Between that and Bluetooth, I'm not fumbling with cables.
- 256GB means I can put my entire 100+GB music library on my phone. that means more variety when I'm running.
- Larger screen, smaller handset. I like that.
- Face ID sounded good, decided to give it a try (Update: Love it)
- $300 credit towards the 'X' from T-Mobile. No other trade-in sites would give me that much for my old phone.
- Longer battery life; at least it appears that way.
- 3 years of incremental camera improvements (6s, 7, X) means less need for my Sony 'real' camera.

Now that I've had it for a week and a half, I'm really liking my decision.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I ordered at 3:30am on launch day from Apple's website (took that long to get the order to go through) and it was delivered on Monday. Pretty happy with it so far. I was upgrading from a 7 Plus.

On a 6s+ now, just picked up 4 X 256 gbs for Christmas, I played with it in the store, I'm not going to miss the home button and the freaking screen pops compared to my 2 year old 6s+. Kids (both teenagers) are going to freak out when they see these. Hard part is keeping the secret with my wife bookmarking stuff on amazon for christmas, they ain't stupid, when they see her list with the x case on it - they will make the leap...

Also did a promo where I turn in six phones and get ~ $300 each in credit to offset the $5K in hardware, aiso rolled the monthly costs into my new plan and kept the same monthly price... so I'm good.

Also picked up two LTE watches for the misses and me, for our anniversary, I wouldn't get the LTE option, we don't really use it and I will not activate it, so I wasted $100 for two red dots (stupid).

getting the kids the wifi 3.0 watch for Christmas also... I know my 18 YO will use it, not sure on 16 YO son who is a heavy gamer ... He wants an Alienware Threadripper - whatever the hell that is...

Begging the wife to let me order the Roadster 2.0 as a Christmas gift.... she won't listen to any irrational discussion on the topic, told me to wait and buy a used one when I turn 55.. :(

Last edited:
LOVE LOVE LOVE My 10! It is the best phone I've owned in years, and I've tried them all. I have every iteration of iPhone models and I have so many Android phones I could even count them and this is by far the best smartphone I've ever had.

Having said that, it's brand new and there are issues with it that come from first generation products. Some apps don't work properly on it. The screen doesn't take advantage of NetFlix/YouTube/Etc., and all the other things people are mad about. You have to take into consideration that this is a brand new device and not a 3-4 year old model, so there are bugs and kinks that will be fixed in later models and later by the app developers. So, if you like the old model, get the 8.

Now, after a couple of months, I am completely bowled over by my iPhone X. The Face recognition is a big part of it. Now that I am used to the swipes it is much faster to get the information I want. Responsiveness of various music features is a big deal. The camera is another step forward. I could care less about emojis but I am not sure how I could care less than I do. Then the smaller size is a distinct advantage.

From time to time I use my spouse's 6S+. It is fine, but the hedonist in me prefers the X.