Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music and Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y with the holiday update. I’m an Apple Music user and love that it’s now available directly in the interface.

Is there a way to make Apple Music the preferred music player for voice commands? Or do I need to disable all other options to make this happen? I’d prefer not to as I occasionally do use them.

I noticed every voice command starts a new Tesla Radio station when I ask to play a specific song or artist. I’ve also tried adding “Play….. on Apple Music” to my voice commands and that doesn’t seem to work either.

Thanks!

Reactions: lifjoy
I have a 2023 Model Y with the holiday update. I’m an Apple Music user and love that it’s now available directly in the interface.

Is there a way to make Apple Music the preferred music player for voice commands? Or do I need to disable all other options to make this happen? I’d prefer not to as I occasionally do use them.

I noticed every voice command starts a new Tesla Radio station when I ask to play a specific song or artist. I’ve also tried adding “Play….. on Apple Music” to my voice commands and that doesn’t seem to work either.

Thanks!
You got it, once you remove "Streaming" from the available list then songs will default to the next player on the list,
However you can Voice command the song to play on a specific player like so: "Play Never Gonna Give You Up on Apple Music" 😁

I push the right button on the steering wheel and start every trip, for example, with “Hey Siri, play on the road again by Willie Nelson” and it works every time. The key is “Hey Siri”, which bypasses the useless/bothersome/expensive Tesla streaming. The odd thing is that sometimes Siri repeats the requested song, sometimes it plays it once, and sometimes it keeps playing similar genre music. Also, if you word your command to Siri correctly, you can get it to play a whole album. Good luck.

I push the right button on the steering wheel and start every trip, for example, with “Hey Siri, play on the road again by Willie Nelson” and it works every time. The key is “Hey Siri”, which bypasses the useless/bothersome/expensive Tesla streaming. The odd thing is that sometimes Siri repeats the requested song, sometimes it plays it once, and sometimes it keeps playing similar genre music. Also, if you word your command to Siri correctly, you can get it to play a whole album. Good luck.
Not in my car now but are you talking about the Apple Music app on the Tesla (not playing Bluetooth)? If you are using Siri isn't that through your iPhone and only applicable to the Music app on the iPhone. Are you saying Tesla has Siri integration. That dosn't sound correct but would love for it to be. Will have to check.

Not in my car now but are you talking about the Apple Music app on the Tesla (not playing Bluetooth)? If you are using Siri isn't that through your iPhone and only applicable to the Music app on the iPhone. Are you saying Tesla has Siri integration. That dosn't sound correct but would love for it to be. Will have to check.
There's no Siri integration in the car. Using Siri to play music streams it from your iPhone via Bluetooth. Note that if the music isn't stored on your phone, you'll be using cellular data while stream from there.

There's no Siri integration in the car. Using Siri to play music streams it from your iPhone via Bluetooth. Note that if the music isn't stored on your phone, you'll be using cellular data while stream from there.
That is what I thought but this thread is about the App in the car and not about using Bluetooth. So the Siri response isn't applicable to the OP's question.

That is what I thought but this thread is about the App in the car and not about using Bluetooth. So the Siri response isn't applicable to the OP's question.
True but I just wanted to note a simple and cheap (if you already have unlimited cell data and Apple Music) way to not have to pay Tesla for their cell service and enjoy music.