Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music Bit rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it’s worth, Apple Music sounds better than Spotify, at least from listening to both back to back.

Apple Music vs Bluetooth, I am not as confident. Hi-Res on USB still sounds better, obviously, but I am not hearing the compression as much which is nice.

I tested all three with Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits and other songs that I have in hi-res. There’s a lot of stuff that the mastering is subpar anyway so it will not sound much better one way or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul Surfer
For what it’s worth, Apple Music sounds better than Spotify, at least from listening to both back to back.

Apple Music vs Bluetooth, I am not as confident. Hi-Res on USB still sounds better, obviously, but I am not hearing the compression as much which is nice.

I tested all three with Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits and other songs that I have in hi-res. There’s a lot of stuff that the mastering is subpar anyway so it will not sound much better one way or the other.
Can you actually hear the compression though when driving? I'm guessing not.

Can you actually hear the compression though when driving? I'm guessing not.

Yes I can still hear, but at least it's generally more to do with the mastering itself than just the track itself. There's enough of a difference for me to justify not wasting time with Spotify. Like you can tell a good mastering vs a bad one but I think some people are overexagerating the difference. I bet if we did blind A/B testing many would not get it right half of the time.

Can you tell? Yes.
Will it ruin listening to music? Lot less than spotify for sure. Maybe on some tracks but then it's down to what master is available where.

The way I look at it: if you're happy with how Apple Music sounds on Airpods, the car has more dynamic range and bass / highs rendering, but the same bitrate. If the bitrate annoys you on Airpods, then it will likely annoy you in the car. I am not THAT picky personally. I can hear a difference, but not enough for me to build a disk drive mixtape.

To each their own really.