Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music - "Choose Media Source" every time entering the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had this issue too for the past few weeks every time I got into my car but two days ago I got the 2023.2.12 update and I haven’t seen the issue since. Has anyone else noticed this?
I also received the 2023.2.12 update, and for the past couple days I notice Apple Music resuming mid-song exactly where it left off between drives - first time it's behaving properly this way. Will keep an eye out next few days, but hopefully it's actually fixed and not just coincidence...

(OT: Like your username/avatar - Thunderbird 2 is of course the best Thunderbird!)

Reactions: Thunderbird 2
The other issue I'm having with Apple Music is a lot of buffering and song skipping. It will often skip 2-3 songs in a row in a playlist. Frankly, I'm having far more success playing my Apple music via BT from my phone at this point.

The other issue I'm having with Apple Music is a lot of buffering and song skipping. It will often skip 2-3 songs in a row in a playlist. Frankly, I'm having far more success playing my Apple music via BT from my phone at this point.

The thing that Apple Music (from the car itself) has over BT Apple Music from the phone is audio stability in terms of no glitches, and artwork that shows up 100% of the time. That said, BT Apple Music at least starts playing correctly, and uses the phone's buffering system, whereas the car doesn't use any buffering beyond the current song.

I also received the 2023.2.12 update, and for the past couple days I notice Apple Music resuming mid-song exactly where it left off between drives - first time it's behaving properly this way. Will keep an eye out next few days, but hopefully it's actually fixed and not just coincidence...
I have 2023.2.12 and all day today I’m not able to play anything from Apple Music. All I get is the spinning icon. Other streaming works fine. So it’s not the LTE.

Update: after Apple Music resumed properly a few days in a row between drives, now the last couple drives it's back to Choose Media Source when getting back in the car

I still get the choose your music intermittently on car start but also getting annoying audio interruptions during playback every now and then which only seem to be on apple music.
I've also been getting fraction of a second audio interruptions every few minutes on Apple Music. I think I've also had those on Spotify but lately I've been mostly listening on Apple Music so mostly observing it there

I've also been getting fraction of a second audio interruptions every few minutes on Apple Music. I think I've also had those on Spotify but lately I've been mostly listening on Apple Music so mostly observing it there
I never used spotify in the car since I always had apple music but used my free slacker when driving before it was available and never noticed these interruptions.

After Tesla added support for Apple Music, I signed up for a 4 month free trial of Music to see how it stacks up with Spotify which I now normally listen to in the car.

After experiencing many years of bugs with Tesla's USB/media player, I guess I wasn't too shocked to run into problems almost right away with the new Apple Music app. Specifically:

- after playing Apple Music, if I leave the car and come back some time later, the media player shows "Choose Media Source" instead of playing where it left off. Seems to happen almost every time.
- often it takes several minutes before I can successfully pick an Apple Music playlist/song/radio station to start playing successfully - instead all the while continuing to display "Choose Media Source" and spinning a progress icon. The Spotify app doesn't have this problem.

Is "Choose Media Source" the new "Loading error..." USB listeners spent years dealing with? And why oh why can't Tesla engineers build a half decent media player?
Same as well for me iny 3, Y and S! Annoying!

I’ve had this issue too for the past few weeks every time I got into my car but two days ago I got the 2023.2.12 update and I haven’t seen the issue since. Has anyone else noticed this?
I have the same issue even with 2023.2.12. I’ve tried logging out of my Apple account, then starting again by scanning in the QR code and authorizing. Still getting the same “Choose Media Source.” Frustrating!

I have the same issue even with 2023.2.12. I’ve tried logging out of my Apple account, then starting again by scanning in the QR code and authorizing. Still getting the same “Choose Media Source.” Frustrating!
You’ll want week 6 for the significant improvements, from what I gather.

You’ll want week 6 for the significant improvements, from what I gather.

I've had 2023.6.1 for 6 days so far and this Choose Music Source issue still exists. Can't say what other "improvements" there are to Apple Music with this release since I seem to spend half my time just simply trying to get it to play!

The same kinda issue is with the favorites on Sirius. It seems like stuff will work for a while then the car forgets everything, where u left off, what your favorites are. The interface is shite. Even the tech at the Tesla service said it sucked. He said: everyone complains about it. But there is nothing they can do. Its your fault you spent 100k on a car with a 1990 audio interface

This issue happens on Spotify as well. I stopped using Apple music and went to Spotify because it worked with Tesla at the time. But ever since they added Apple music and incorporated the media player in the bottom left, this issue of finding media started.
My only temporary fix is to select a new media source, then go back to Spotify. Then it works until next time. Im on 20023.6.8 and its still happening.

This issue happens on Spotify as well. I stopped using Apple music and went to Spotify because it worked with Tesla at the time. But ever since they added Apple music and incorporated the media player in the bottom left, this issue of finding media started.
My only temporary fix is to select a new media source, then go back to Spotify. Then it works until next time. Im on 20023.6.8 and its still happening.
On the plus side, since it’s happening with both Spotify and Apple Music now, more chance of it getting fixed (hopefully).