Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music integration…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of it has to do with Apple dropping their advertising from being the biggest at about $3.5m a week in Q1 (about 4% of all Twitter ad revenue) down to barely $132k according to the latest figures with their ad agency recommending pulling all adverts from Twitter altogether. As about 90% of all Twitter revenue comes from adverts, such a drop threatens Twitter’s viability. Lot’s of other companies have done the same and latest outburst won’t really help attracting those firms back. Will it lead to Tesla pulling Apple Music support? I wouldn’t be surprised at all as Musk has shown multiple times he can be somewhat petty.

Reactions: Canyonero
A lot of it has to do with Apple dropping their advertising from being the biggest at about $3.5m a week in Q1 (about 4% of all Twitter ad revenue) down to barely $132k according to the latest figures with their ad agency recommending pulling all adverts from Twitter altogether. As about 90% of all Twitter revenue comes from adverts, such a drop threatens Twitter’s viability. Lot’s of other companies have done the same and latest outburst won’t really help attracting those firms back. Will it lead to Tesla pulling Apple Music support? I wouldn’t be surprised at all as Musk has shown multiple times he can be somewhat petty.
There also seem to be some comments in respect of Apple threatening to pull the Twitter app from the App Store. I’m guessing probably related to the $8/month subscription and Apple wanting their 30% cut.

I can see this getting messy, but I’m hoping they’ll come to an arrangement.

I dunno, this seems like something that ought to come up during the purchase due diligence that he didn't bother doing.

Apple's 30% cut of in-app purchases (15% if revenue less than $1m) is hardly a secret. It was announced on stage by Steve Jobs back in 2008, Musk even tweeted about it back in May, so it seems like he's got amnesia or something. The timing of all of this suggests that he's just had the invoice come in for the first month of Twitter Blue (before it was suspended), saw Apple took 30% of it, and threw his toys out of the pram.

This isn't a fight he'll win. Epic Games lost in court on substantively the same arguments, and are in the process of appealing.

I also find the whole "free speech vs Apple" a really strange attack strategy. They have every right to pull advertising from something that doesn't suit their worldview, but for some reason Elon seems to think that means they are anti-free speech. Very weird.

He's approaching Kanye levels of mania.

The last thing we need is yet another platform/standard!
not gonna fly. devs won't jump the ship.
Blackberry had huge fan base, QNX based OS and apps were not there. they tried for 3-4 years I think until they pulled the plug.

Phones were good (hardware wise), OS (BB10) was fantastic (some features from BB 10 are now on android/ios) but it just didn't fly.

Reactions: Durzel
I dunno, this seems like something that ought to come up during the purchase due diligence that he didn't bother doing.

Apple's 30% cut of in-app purchases (15% if revenue less than $1m) is hardly a secret. It was announced on stage by Steve Jobs back in 2008, Musk even tweeted about it back in May, so it seems like he's got amnesia or something. The timing of all of this suggests that he's just had the invoice come in for the first month of Twitter Blue (before it was suspended), saw Apple took 30% of it, and threw his toys out of the pram.

This isn't a fight he'll win. Epic Games lost in court on substantively the same arguments, and are in the process of appealing.

I also find the whole "free speech vs Apple" a really strange attack strategy. They have every right to pull advertising from something that doesn't suit their worldview, but for some reason Elon seems to think that means they are anti-free speech. Very weird.

He's approaching Kanye levels of mania.
Elon needs a reality check, perhaps the collapse of Twitter will be that in the long run. He needs to discover that his hyper intense way of working simply isn't going to be successful and isn't allowing him to achieve his goals. How much further along would FSD be if he didn't mandate that all the developers are based in one small part of the world and generally work in his offices. There's so much talent that simply couldn't or wouldn't consider working for Tesla. Recruitment of talent is the limiting factor.

not gonna fly. devs won't jump the ship.
Blackberry had huge fan base, QNX based OS and apps were not there. they tried for 3-4 years I think until they pulled the plug.

Phones were good (hardware wise), OS (BB10) was fantastic (some features from BB 10 are now on android/ios) but it just didn't fly.

Yup, same for Windows Phone too. You'd have to burn billions to build it up to be viable from scratch, and you'd be fighting the dominance of Apple and Android all the time... so maybe it's right up Elon's alley after all?

Interesting discussion in the last page... my thoughts

1) Elon Musk has finally shown how much of a man child he is. He has demonstrated how much of a PR/marketing facade he was showing to the world. I can't stand the guy anymore and I used to be someone who said he was my role model.

2) Blue $8 and Apple's cut... Apple only takes 30% cut if you use their systems to manage the subscription. Twitter developed their own backend to the subscription so I doubt this is a reason. Some devs charge a higher subs price using iOS in-app purchase - the only condition AFAIK is that they can't "divert" people from the ios app onto a website to bypass the system. But Twitter can send you an email with a link to the twitter subs portal that falls entirely outside of the ios IAP ecosystem. Also, quite funny here because the conditions between Tidal/TuneinRadio/apple music and Tesla are not publicly known - Tesla will be supposedly be getting a cut of Apple Music subscription revenue - it might be a bit rich to make a fuss about ios IAP and not your own Tesla ecosystem - this is something very different with EPIC by the way - EPIC did not receive revenue from Apple.

3) If he pisses off every Apple user who owns a car, I think he will be in trouble and the BOD will eventually kick him out from his CEO role.
a) there are already talking about it and Elon Musk's way to spin it is to say he doesn't and never wanted to be CEO in the first place
b) Musk tried to take Tesla private and failed due to opposition from existing investors (i.e. BOD) - if he tries to pull another one I think he will be in trouble

1) Elon Musk has finally shown how much of a man child he is. He has demonstrated how much of a PR/marketing facade he was showing to the world. I can't stand the guy anymore and I used to be someone who said he was my role model.

2) Blue $8 and Apple's cut... Apple only takes 30% cut if you use their systems to manage the subscription. Twitter developed their own backend to the subscription so I doubt this is a reason. Some devs charge a higher subs price using iOS in-app purchase - the only condition AFAIK is that they can't "divert" people from the ios app onto a website to bypass the system. But Twitter can send you an email with a link to the twitter subs portal that falls entirely outside of the ios IAP ecosystem. Also, quite funny here because the conditions between Tidal/TuneinRadio/apple music and Tesla are not publicly known - Tesla will be supposedly be getting a cut of Apple Music subscription revenue - it might be a bit rich to make a fuss about ios IAP and not your own Tesla ecosystem - this is something very different with EPIC by the way - EPIC did not receive revenue from Apple.

3) If he pisses off every Apple user who owns a car, I think he will be in trouble and the BOD will eventually kick him out from his CEO role.
a) there are already talking about it and Elon Musk's way to spin it is to say he doesn't and never wanted to be CEO in the first place
b) Musk tried to take Tesla private and failed due to opposition from existing investors (i.e. BOD) - if he tries to pull another one I think he will be in trouble
I’m curious, why would Tesla receive a cut of Apple Music revenue?

I literally laughed at the suggestion that Apple would pay Tesla when Apple Music is made available in the car. That is complete fantasy. I assume it was a joke that was missed, if Apple take a cut from Twitter then Tesla should take a cut from Apple Music. Apple won't pay that way round.

Actually it is, you can download tracks and albums into the Apple Music app for playback when you have no internet connection.
In the same way you can on Spotify, it's not just a streaming service.
The comment was a suggestion the Apple Music app in your car would be able to play music downloaded onto a phone. That is not how AM works. It’s possible the car itself may be able to download music directly, however it wouldn’t stream from another device.

Reactions: Canyonero
The comment was a suggestion the Apple Music app in your car would be able to play music downloaded onto a phone. That is not how AM works. It’s possible the car itself may be able to download music directly, however it wouldn’t stream from another device.
Is that basically not what we already have, playing music stored on a phone via bluetooth?

Aren't there multiple issues going on here? The one I've not seen mentioned in the last page or so, and I thought I'd read elsewhere, is that Apple don't allow any unmoderated apps that can be used for dodgy broadcast propoganda, and Musks free speach crusade crosses the line for them. It doesn't seem to be a very high bar either to be accepted. So its less about the money (although I'm sure it is behind the scenes), its partly about what Musk is saying he wants to do.

Musk hates anybody trying to impose restrictions or put limits on what he wants to do, and he goes all out to take them on, often needlessly just to try and prove a point. He thrives off the publicity and the Musk fan club love to adopt the seige mentality attitude that the world is against him.

The problem with developing a phone isn't the technology, or the software its the massive number of 3rd party apps we all rely on and which have critical mass. Just looking at my phone, i've apps for 5x financial institutions, 2x air lines, 5x car charging companies. 4x BBC apps, 3x amazon apps, 2x camera apps, a central heating app, 2x home automation apps, 3x google apps, an NHS app, and thats just the tip of them, all different companies, all of which would need to invest. Would I be happy to lose any of those? No, not really. So how do you get all those apps ported to his phone? I know if they're developed in Progressive Web Apps the port should be relatively easy, but not so easy with the security safeguards etc that are required and trust on that side of things.. And I wonder how many are developed that way.

You can't easily. And while the skylink interenet anywhere could be useful to some, I can't say I've been to many places where I've struggled to get reception to the point I'd change my phone.