Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music integration…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds very similar to Tidal, and I'm glad they've bitten the bullet to allow Apple music than keep resisting. At one point they thought about doing it all themselves! (Don't both clicking the article unless you really want to, its 5 years old, but included as I fact checked myself before posting)

Its not really curious.

1. The Apple Music subscription will not be included.
2. The facility to play music from your own Apple music sub is included.
3. Content downloaded on your device will play without premium connectivity
4. Premium Connectivity will allow you to play from cloud.
5. Tethering your device as hotspot will allow same.

So what is being released is the ability to control your existing Apple music from the car's display.. Thats it.
Your comment is very confident, bearing in mind it doesn’t quite tally up with how Apple Music works.

For example, in respect of point 3, what device are you referring to? The car? I doubt the car will download any music. If you’re referring to your phone, that’s not how Apple Music works. It’s a streaming service, not a remote control for music stored on your phone.

Tesla allow certain things to work through mobile tethering and block others, so it’s down to them as to what can and can’t work without PC. I’m hoping you’re right in that it will work via tethering without PC, but I shall wait until there is confirmation of this before making assumptions.

Reactions: Skie
3. Content downloaded on your device will play without premium connectivity

So what is being released is the ability to control your existing Apple music from the car's display.. Thats it.
Are you saying that content downloaded on to the phone (personally I dont stream and all my content is downloaded) will play through the apple music app even without any internet?

Your comment is very confident, bearing in mind it doesn’t quite tally up with how Apple Music works.

For example, in respect of point 3, what device are you referring to? The car? I doubt the car will download any music. If you’re referring to your phone, that’s not how Apple Music works. It’s a streaming service, not a remote control for music stored on your phone.

Tesla allow certain things to work through mobile tethering and block others, so it’s down to them as to what can and can’t work without PC. I’m hoping you’re right in that it will work via tethering without PC, but I shall wait until there is confirmation of this before making assumptions.

Assuming it supports downloads it'll, I expect, work the same as Tidal:
  • You can stream standard quality over cellular with premium connectivity.
  • You can download playlists/albums/tracks to the Teslas internal storage in hi-fi/lossless but only when connected via wi-fi (either home wi-fi or a mobile phone hotspot)
  • I've always had premium connectivity, but it's possible to play downloaded music without a cellular connection as there's a 'downloaded' tab in the Tidal UI

That’s not how Apple Music works.

You took me out of context by that single quote, I was asking the op. I know exactly how it works just dont know based on what the op said how this app is supposed to work by what he said. To put it into context, I have apple music on my mac (formerly iTunes) and I can play all my library offline. Both purchased and through apple music subscription.

Some interesting information hinted at by Teslascope suggesting launch of an app store on Twitter.

Suggesting new visualisations also for all.
The AppStore idea has been around since 2015 when the MS and MX had ‘Add app’ or words like that on the binnacle display

Tesla refresh the display around Xmas, we’re on V11

Add the two together and it looks like all they’re doing is speculating (aka guessing) with no real info to support it, mixed with a request you’ve read as a roadmap. Gets them clicks though.

Some interesting information hinted at by Teslascope suggesting launch of an app store on Twitter.

Suggesting new visualisations also for all.
They probably wouldn't do it, but if they are doing this for entertainment/music apps, then they could put FSD in the app store as well, so it follows you with every car you then get into/rent/or later purchase. One lifetime purchase needed. job done.

Reactions: phil4