Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music Integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i signed into my Apple music in my model 3 once i had installed the layest holiday update and all was great, and as i had heard all my none purchased songs appeared as well. However when i took a closer look all my none purchased songs were greyed out and wouldn't play. This is the first device other than my iphone i have used with Apple Music and i don't use itunes. I checked my phone and all the none purchased items looked fine and would play on my phone so not sure whats wrong. Any body had the same issue yet or any ideas what to do?

Reactions: Espi2451
What does none purchased mean?
Non-purchased. Songs you’ve added to your library via Apple Music but didn’t purchase outright. So if you cancel Apple Music, they would go away.

There’s also the ability to download and own the songs.

Primary difference: non-purchased songs are .m4a files (they’re wrapped in encryption); songs you own are .mp3 files.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Upvote 0
I’ve had no trouble playing non-purchased music so far. Be aware — many tracks may look “grayed out,” but they will play just fine. If it is just the artist and/or album title that is grayed out, it seems like that is just because Apple Music can’t match the track to one in its catalog, and therefore the link that normally allows you to tap on the artist or album title to see more by that artist or the whole album in Apple Music isn’t active. With the bright white text, you can tap it to jump to the artist or album. On the grayed out tracks, nothing happens when tapping, but you can still play the track. Also: tapping and holding will ‘uncheck’ and ‘recheck’ a song for the purposes of having it not play when Apple Music is playing through the list or on shuffle.

Reactions: Espi2451
Upvote 0
Wondering this exact issue. I have a ton that are greyed out. Also, can you shuffle when playing all songs on the app?
I have found a solution to this. I had to sign into itunes on my pc after reading another thread on this. You have to upload your none purchased items to the cloud for them to play on all devices, including your car
Wondering this exact issue. I have a ton that are greyed out. Also, can you shuffle when playing all songs on the app?

Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
I’ve had no trouble playing non-purchased music so far. Be aware — many tracks may look “grayed out,” but they will play just fine. If it is just the artist and/or album title that is grayed out, it seems like that is just because Apple Music can’t match the track to one in its catalog, and therefore the link that normally allows you to tap on the artist or album title to see more by that artist or the whole album in Apple Music isn’t active. With the bright white text, you can tap it to jump to the artist or album. On the grayed out tracks, nothing happens when tapping, but you can still play the track. Also: tapping and holding will ‘uncheck’ and ‘recheck’ a song for the purposes of having it not play when Apple Music is playing through the list or on shuffle.
Interesting, because I have different experience — I'm trying to figure out how it works/doesn't work :)
I have some 10k+ songs uploaded to iTunes Match or purchased in iTunes Store and I see a following "pattern":
• songs that AM somehow recognised get substituted by versions found in the AM catalog. For example, I have live versions of Audioslave songs that show up the same as in my music library, but AM plays studio versions. The artist name and album name are both greyed out. They are not found in the artist catalog in AM (in Tesla)
• songs that were uploaded to iTunes Match don't work
• songs that were matched by iTunes Match don't work
• purchased songs are a mixed bag. I have a playlist, where a purchased song by Sponge play just fine, but Truly tracks are greyed out...

Which is weird, because I've read that the Tesla app uses the "web version" of AM and everything works fine in the AM web player. Also, the quality in the web player is 256 kbs, while the Tesla app is horrible, worse than Spotify.

Upvote 0
My experience so far with my 2020 model 3 -- I had subscribed to Match months before getting Apple Music. Match does not expire until end of February.
When I go to my "library", all the music is there when sorted by album or song. NO artists are listed in "artist" view. Even though they appear fine in my iPhone and on Apple Music itself in artist view.
I also tried on my brother's 2022 model Y. My artists don't appear there in artist view either. But HIS artists appear in artist view when he logs in to his model Y or my model 3. So it's got to be something about my Apple Music library. My brother does NOT have Match and only has Apple Music.
I went into Apple Music, and removed all songs from Apple Music Library. I then had Apple Music re-add all my music to the cloud library. That process took about 12 hours.
Unfortunately, it did NOT solve the problem and I still cannot see artists in artist view in "library" when logged into my account.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if the Match subscription could be interfering -- but I can see all the music in album or song view and play all the music too.
Finally, about 20 percent of the time when I get into the car, Apple Music won't play anything at all until a reboot of the infotainment system. I can play music from Slacker or Spotify fine, but if I go into Apple Music it says "choose source."

Reactions: EwanMcTeagle
Upvote 0