Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music is awful on Intel (mcu2). Is it any better on mcu3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone.

I tried to use Apple Music on my 2021 M3. It… works I guess. It just takes like 10 seconds for each song to load and the menus are super laggy. I was wondering if this is specifically a mcu2 thing or if the integration is just bad. Can anyone weigh in here.

I think I’m going to go back to the regular built-in streaming app for the time being. I can’t skip a song in Apple Music without waiting 15 seconds for the next one to start playing. There are many other random bugs too. Too many to discuss.

Hey everyone.

I tried to use Apple Music on my 2021 M3. It… works I guess. It just takes like 10 seconds for each song to load and the menus are super laggy. I was wondering if this is specifically a mcu2 thing or if the integration is just bad. Can anyone weigh in here.

I think I’m going to go back to the regular built-in streaming app for the time being. I can’t skip a song in Apple Music without waiting 15 seconds for the next one to start playing. There are many other random bugs too. Too many to discuss.

I have a model 3 with intel (2018) and a model Y with AMD ryzen. I dont find the performance on either to be different. It certainly is not what you describe, however. Apple music seems to be a bit more reliant on a good cell signal to me, than spotify. They work mostly the same (the only way I can see any difference is if I drive both cars back to back, and even then I have to be looking for it.. and its not that different).

You're lucky it's only a 15s lag. I get lags as long 2-3 minutes, and it often just gives up and says it has no connection, even if I have decent connection (2-3 bars, which is OK for everything else, other streaming, voice commands, etc).

It seems to need a near perfect connection to work well. I generally don't use it, which sucks, since we are all in on apple music. We still use the phone-bluetooth which is great, but the sound quality suffers noticeably.

And I don't have any lag on my phone when streaming apple music. Weird.

I am using Apple Music on my M3LR (2018) and it works great. I have found that occasionally it will totally hang and I need to restart but for the most part, it just works. If you haven't already you may want to try logging out of Apple Music on the car and then logging back in / reauthorizing - but yes, it needs a good signal.

I have to log in every 3rd ish time I use it.

The whole thing is a mess. Why do most of the other streaming options work well? I bet it's the sound quality, and larger data streams. I'd be happy to have lower quality streams, just to have something, until the connection gets better.

Or let us download music to the car?

Hey everyone.

Mine is slow skipping songs compared to running Apple Music via Bluetooth connected to my phone. Not 10 seconds slow, but probably 2-3 which feels like 10 seconds.

Mine also stops working quite frequently. It appears to be logged in but won't play anything, until I log out and sign back in again, then it's fine for a few days before repeating itself.

I'm assuming most of this is just early implementation buggy behavior and they'll get the kinks worked out. But all and all, I find myself reverting back to bluetooth due to the issues.