Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music quality > Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my ears at least, native AM tracks sounds pretty damn good, better than the Spotify app. Also as good as my 320 AAC playing off a USB stick…I’m impressed.

Also the ability to tap albums and artists is very helpful and the search function that yields good results.

Sometimes it is a bit slow to load from startup, got a media playback error a few times, but other than that all good.

Will Siri work to control?

Reactions: richyrich
To my ears at least, native AM tracks sounds pretty damn good, better than the Spotify app. Also as good as my 320 AAC playing off a USB stick…I’m impressed.

Also the ability to tap albums and artists is very helpful and the search function that yields good results.

Sometimes it is a bit slow to load from startup, got a media playback error a few times, but other than that all good.

Will Siri work to control?
No you can not use Siri to control Tesla’s Apple Music app. I’ve not seen a way to make tesla voice assistant control tesla Apple Music app, this would be great in addition to supporting Apple podcast app & books app.
siri will control CarPlay’s Apple Music app. There are ways to get CarPlay in a display behind tesla steering (model 3/y) wheel & other methods put CarPlay in the tesla web browser so it is nice and large. This is what I do via the tesla-android open source project.

Being new to Apple Music I'm disappointed, my playlist music on my phone shows up in the apple music app in the car but the songs are gray'ed out. Then it seems laggy unlike Tesla's music streaming service it's instant when I hit skip.
CarPlay / phone provides Instant audio when skipping songs probably because the media is on your phone or when streaming perhaps Apple somehow buffers portions or entire song before and after current? even in random mode apple knows which is next. Sounds like something Apple would do.…..or there is nothing fancy and tesla cellular speed/quality is to blame.

CarPlay / phone provides Instant audio when skipping songs probably because the media is on your phone or when streaming perhaps Apple somehow buffers portions or entire song before and after current? even in random mode apple knows which is next. Sounds like something Apple would do.…..or there is nothing fancy and tesla cellular speed/quality is to blame.
I don't know what's going on, like when I click next it spins a loading circle then the next song but when it's on the Tesla streaming music when I click next it goes right away so I don't think it's the cellular speed. For the grey out songs, these are songs NOT from apple music, like Mp3s that I had and loaded on my phone. I assume it's grey out because they have to be downloaded from apple music? If so I don't have the energy to download hundreds of songs and remake playlists.

I've been testing out Apple Music since getting the holiday update to see if I want to use it instead of Tidal. Those damn interns at Tesla keep forgetting to add the Shuffle button to the Tidal app and I'm kind of sick of listening to my songs in the same exact order for the past year.😩

So far I think the sound quality of Apple Music is on par with Tidal, at least to my non-audiophile ears. It's been widely reported that there's no buffer between songs in Apple Music, and I've been getting the same 1~3 second pause between songs as others have noted, but it doesn't bother me. The app is definitely far from perfect, but between the decent sound quality and shuffle button, I think I'm going to switch from Tidal.

I've subscribed to Apple Music for years but used Spotify in my MY then dropped that for Tidal (great deal with Military discount). I just got the update last night and Apple Music seems to work well so now I'll be getting rid of Tidal too. Nice to have one less subscription to pay and account to maintain - I'm really trying to simplify so this is great. I need to get used to the quirks of Apple Music in my MY but no worries, I usually listen to Audiobooks when I drive anyway. Along with finally getting FSD beta after 4 years I'll be grinning all day... :)

Reactions: GadgetGary
Still discovering new things about AM. Does seem like in playlists where I have traditional songs that are a part of the AM library and ones that I’ve downloaded into AM myself (like remixes or something) the experience is mixed. Looks like AM tries to match my uploaded remixes and if they can’t find them they just don’t play the song? Interesting… still trying to figure it out and whether it matters if the songs are downloaded to my phone or not??

Sound quality still superb

Reactions: richyrich
I've subscribed to Apple Music for years but used Spotify in my MY then dropped that for Tidal (great deal with Military discount). I just got the update last night and Apple Music seems to work well so now I'll be getting rid of Tidal too. Nice to have one less subscription to pay and account to maintain - I'm really trying to simplify so this is great. I need to get used to the quirks of Apple Music in my MY but no worries, I usually listen to Audiobooks when I drive anyway. Along with finally getting FSD beta after 4 years I'll be grinning all day... :)
I also listen primarily to audiobooks in the car, especially if I’m alone or if I want the kids in the backseat to fall asleep.

I haven’t heard any rumors or anything about audible being added to Tesla, but that would be awesome! Another reason to pay for the premium connectivity

Reactions: Dennisis
I also listen primarily to audiobooks in the car, especially if I’m alone or if I want the kids in the backseat to fall asleep.

I haven’t heard any rumors or anything about audible being added to Tesla, but that would be awesome! Another reason to pay for the premium connectivity
You can get Audible in your Tesla ...message me and I'll tell you. I do not want to spam this thread since we'd be talking about Audible.

One note on this - I have the updated and much improved Audible on my Apple Watch Ultra and listen on my Air Pods Pro 2’s, works like a charm. I drive, run, and walk without lugging along my IPhone.
PSA - In many areas of the United States, wearing headphones and ear buds while driving is illegal. Some states have a loophole where it is legal if one ear remains uncovered. Check you regional laws to be sure.

Laws info:

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to work well, there is no prebuffer...didn't mention that.

I thought Apple Music was at the bottom of the list in terms of audio quality:

I mean I still use it! But I think it can definitely have better audio quality, hoping a future update will improve it!

Reactions: ilovecoffee