Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music song shuffle - How to get it to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been discussed or seems trivial but I tried to search previous threads for this.

With Apple Music in the car interface when you select a song from your library in the Songs section how do you shuffle your entire library? I select a song and the little shuffle icon in the music panel is selected but it just plays the next song on that page and does not seem to shuffle your entire library of songs like it does on my phone. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Thanks.

I tried that. I made a playlist with all my songs. If you turn on shuffle it does sort of shuffle but it seems to play the songs in the same order. It's not a random shuffle at all.
I've yet to encounter a real random shuffle on any device. The reality is that few if anyone would appreciate a true random shuffle. If you have a playlist of say 25 songs there's a legitimate chance the same song could be played again five songs later or even back to back if the shuffle was a true random of picking a random song from the list and randomly picking the next song. To ensure that doesn't happen algorithms are used to ensure that the same songs aren't repeated until all of the songs in the playlist have rotated which means the moment you press shuffle, the order is predetermined. If you feel you are seeing a familiar pattern of order press shuffle again and it should re-sort another list.

Last edited:
My library gets shuffled on all devices, but not in the Tesla. Annoying as hell, since I don’t use playlists.
Is there a easy way to get all your songs from the library in one playlist, without having to drag them in one by one?

When you create a long playlist the interface shows it in a paged list. For me it seems the shuffle works only within a page but not across the whole playlist. I still have to test it properly again, my playlist is 2000 songs or so. Probably the state of the song (downloaded or not) affects it, download order also can be optimized by Apple which also affect shuffle.
Anyway, frustrating.