Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Can any of the lucky M3 owners let me know what the sound quality is like when listening to Apple Music over Bluetooth. I can’t the bothered to transfer music to a USB drive, as I like to change up my music selection often, the ideal solution would be to connect an iPod, but failing that I’ll be streaming from my iPhone via Bluetooth.

What happens when you receive a phone call whilst streaming? Does the music automatically continue once the call has ended?

Cheers

It’s surprisingly good. The M3 supports AAC streaming over Bluetooth so you avoid the dreaded muddy SBC codec. I use Hey Siri to invoke the music so it stays hands free. My phone is in the centre console bit. I find it’s very unlikely to respond with the flap closed though so I leave it open.

Phone call automatically pauses the music or podcast and it auto-resumes when you’re done. Once it’s playing you have forward back and pause controls on screen plus (on iOS 13) album art from music (but not podcasts).

Pro tip - when using Hey Siri, you don’t have to wait for the “beep” to be played over the speakers. You can just talk naturally without pause and the phone will keep up

Coming from my last two cars with CarPlay, the system in the Tesla is a gigantic step backwards but it’s a compromise I’m willing to make vs the rest of the car benefits.

It’s surprisingly good. The M3 supports AAC streaming over Bluetooth so you avoid the dreaded muddy SBC codec. I use Hey Siri to invoke the music so it stays hands free. My phone is in the centre console bit. I find it’s very unlikely to respond with the flap closed though so I leave it open.

Phone call automatically pauses the music or podcast and it auto-resumes when you’re done. Once it’s playing you have forward back and pause controls on screen plus (on iOS 13) album art from music (but not podcasts).

Pro tip - when using Hey Siri, you don’t have to wait for the “beep” to be played over the speakers. You can just talk naturally without pause and the phone will keep up

Coming from my last two cars with CarPlay, the system in the Tesla is a gigantic step backwards but it’s a compromise I’m willing to make vs the rest of the car benefits.

that's really good to know. I was considering making the switch to Spotify. Just seemed a bit drastic changing the whole family just for 1 car though!

that's really good to know. I was considering making the switch to Spotify. Just seemed a bit drastic changing the whole family just for 1 car though!

We went for the SR+ so it's a moot point in our situation (until they release premium connectivity as an add-on) however I considered the same thing when we were looking at the LR. That being said, I was in a loaner S for a little bit with and I logged in with my Spotify and I wasn't massively impressed with the built in sound quality. It sounded like the lower bitrate modes and sound quality was noticeably different vs content over bluetooth. Small sample size and apples to oranges comparison but it was my personal experience.

Reactions: m3gt2
Sound is great via bluetooth (i have the SR+). I use Spotify and Google Podcast and the quality is great.

One thing i would say is you have to get the equilizer on the phone and car just right or can sound very bassy or too tinny.

My phone has Dolby Atmos sound equilizer and once setup right sounds very good

Reactions: m3gt2