Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple products service model compared to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Tesla is having a bad time getting service to grow along with sales.

But Apple as an example of great customer service? Please, I never want to suggest a car gets treated like an Apple device. Broken tire pressure sensor hmmmm gotta replace the whole car. A rodent chewed a cable hmmmmm gotta replace the whole car. Want a third party to replace the parts and not the whole car? Wait a month for the repair because of their anti-consumer and anti-repair policies. And then have your car display an "Unauthorised cable" message every time you get into it.

But yes. Tesla service, the lack thereof, is a fantastic reason to not buy a Tesla in more remote places.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: totoro722 and OCR1

But Apple as an example of great customer service? Please, I never want to suggest a car gets treated like an Apple device. Broken tire pressure sensor hmmmm gotta replace the whole car. A rodent chewed a cable hmmmmm gotta replace the whole car. Want a third party to replace the parts and not the whole car? Wait a month for the repair because of their anti-consumer and anti-repair policies. And then have your car display an "Unauthorised cable" message every time you get into it.

But yes. Tesla service, the lack thereof, is a fantastic reason to not buy a Tesla in more remote places.
Is that your personal experiences or just something you read on the internet?

I dropped my iPhone in the lake, once, my fault totally. Took it to the Apple Store, told them, and told them I had accident protection thru my credit card, so they'll pay for it. The "genius" told me he'd take it to the back, and check the sensors. Came back, told me the water sensors hadn't been tripped, and he'd replace it for free. I repeated that he didn't have to do that, since I had accident protection, but he said that was fine. Gave me a new iPhone, when he didn't have to. That's customer service. And, that's not the only instance where the Apple Store did something for me for free, when I was totally ready to pay.

Then again, when my brother goes to the Apple Store for service, he always pays. I've been told that the "genii" have alot of latitude. If you are nice, treat them with respect, don't expect anything, they might surprise you; while if you're demanding, expect something for nothing, then you likely won't get it. My brother is pretty demanding.

Is that your personal experiences or just something you read on the internet?

I dropped my iPhone in the lake, once, my fault totally. Took it to the Apple Store, told them, and told them I had accident protection thru my credit card, so they'll pay for it. The "genius" told me he'd take it to the back, and check the sensors. Came back, told me the water sensors hadn't been tripped, and he'd replace it for free. I repeated that he didn't have to do that, since I had accident protection, but he said that was fine. Gave me a new iPhone, when he didn't have to. That's customer service. And, that's not the only instance where the Apple Store did something for me for free, when I was totally ready to pay.

Oh, and don't forget, "Wanna trade in your iPhone because we engineered it to suck after a couple years? Sure, we'll give you 1/6th the value after only 2 years, only if it's in perfect condition."

Oh, and don't forget, "Wanna trade in your iPhone because we engineered it to suck after a couple years? Sure, we'll give you 1/6th the value after only 2 years, only if it's in perfect condition."
Lol, more hyperventilating. You’d think a Tesla owner would know better, when it comes to manufacturers and battery strategy. After 500 cycles, at high power demand, like during gaming, the power draw can cause random shutdowns, so the phone’s BMS throttles down the phone, because random shutdowns can lead to data loss. The goal is to extend the useful life of your phone. But, since Apple didn’t tell users what was happening, people thought that Apple was slowing down their phone, to get them to buy a new one.

As for resale value, iPhones have the highest resale value in the market. My sister just traded in her iPhone 7 for a $400 credit at Verizon. The 7 is 5yrs old.

I don’t understand this logic and hate about Apple. Your screen cracks, they fix it and give you a loaner phone. Shoot I completely destroyed a new iPhone (100% my fault) and they swapped me out a new phone for just over $100 and I didn’t even have insurance. Apple customer service is phenomenal and supports the Tesla argument for not having dealerships. All Tesla needs to do is answer the phone after you buy a car from them. It’d solve a lot of problems.

Lol, more hyperventilating. You’d think a Tesla owner would know better, when it comes to manufacturers and battery strategy. After 500 cycles, at high power demand, like during gaming, the power draw can cause random shutdowns, so the phone’s BMS throttles down the phone, because random shutdowns can lead to data loss. The goal is to extend the useful life of your phone. But, since Apple didn’t tell users what was happening, people thought that Apple was slowing down their phone, to get them to buy a new one.

As for resale value, iPhones have the highest resale value in the market. My sister just traded in her iPhone 7 for a $400 credit at Verizon. The 7 is 5yrs old.

You and your sister are easily manipulated. That trade in credit was inflated because she's overpaying monthly. How could you not see that??

My iPhone 10 Xs Max was barely 2 years old, and I had to charge it again by noon, and again in the afternoon, and again in the evening. It used to easily get through the day, but after a year, it started losing it until I really couldn't go anywhere with it without an external battery pack. Apple makes it very hard to change the battery for a reason.

Don't let the tech companies fool you next time.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
You and your sister are easily manipulated. That trade in credit was inflated because she's overpaying monthly. How could you not see that??

My iPhone 10 Xs Max was barely 2 years old, and I had to charge it again by noon, and again in the afternoon, and again in the evening. It used to easily get through the day, but after a year, it started losing it until I really couldn't go anywhere with it without an external battery pack. Apple makes it very hard to change the battery for a reason.

Don't let the tech companies fool you next time.
Manipulated? The cell contract with Verizon costs the same with an Android as it does with the iPhone. The only difference is the offer of $400 off for an old iPhone trade-in.

Did you check the "Battery" in settings? There was a bug going around that was draining batteries, some sort of background process that never stopped. If you look at the Battery setting, it would show some process was running 100% of the time in the background. I think you only needed to remove the app, then reload it, to fix the problem.

Of course, the Battery setting can also tell you if your battery is beyond its rating, needs to be replaced. Is $69 to get a new battery too much?

Reactions: akenham
Yes, you are paying for any inflated trade in's with the contract, and if they aren't doing the same trade in percentage with an Android vs an iPhone, you're not getting all the benefits you are paying for in the monthly fees when you trade in an Android. AT&T wanted to give me only $200 for my iPhone Xs Max, but I sold it on eBay for $400.

There's no free lunch.

Battery settings were fine. It shows 87% and Peak Performance, and no, there are no apps that are going crazy eating the battery. I moved all the same apps to the new phone and it lasts all day easily. But in a year, it will start the battery degradation thing to push me to upgrade again.

Apple has made it super hard for you or 3rd parties to work on the phones. Look at the YT videos on that topic. It only gets worse. I used to be able to change my own screen for $30, but the last time I cracked a screen, it was $500, which was half the price of phone when it was new. Thank goodness I didn't crack the other side at the same time, or it would have been the full price of the phone to fix it.

Back to the battery. At one point, Apple had it locked in so you had to get them to change the battery if needed, but even though you paid the ransom for a battery change, they made you sign an agreement that said the process of them changing the battery could break certain wireless capabilities, like bluetooth, and they couldn't fix that if it happened, and they also would not be responsible.

Nice, right?

And before you mention it, I don't do the Apple Care because they still charge you a deductible, and I have come out way ahead on self-insuring my electronic device compared to paying for their plans even with an occasional broken screen that I have to pay 10 times what it should cost to replace.

I really don't want Tesla to mimic the way Apple treats its customers, but you can ask Rich Rebuilds that they definitely are already doing their best to copy Apple to get you over a barrel and then create situations to make you pay out the nose.

• Funny
I wouldn't hold Apple up as an example of good customer service. Their products have been more and more cheaply built for years, they are DESIGNED TO FAIL, Apple goes out of their way to prevent third party repair shops from fixing Apple products, they overcharge for repairs that aren't covered under warranty, and their products and accessories are ridiculously overpriced. And of course, it really irritates me that the Apple box says "Designed by Apple in California", then they do not mention the part about "Built in sweatshops in China/Taiwan/wherever", but no jobs for Americans for greater corporate profit!

I'll never give a dollar to Apple.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and SunCharged
I wouldn't hold Apple up as an example of good customer service. Their products have been more and more cheaply built for years, they are DESIGNED TO FAIL, Apple goes out of their way to prevent third party repair shops from fixing Apple products, they overcharge for repairs that aren't covered under warranty, and their products and accessories are ridiculously overpriced. And of course, it really irritates me that the Apple box says "Designed by Apple in California", then they do not mention the part about "Built in sweatshops in China/Taiwan/wherever", but no jobs for Americans for greater corporate profit!

Don’t. They don’t need your dollar. Buy something else. Haters seem to never be happy, so move on.

Not so in England. I traded in my sons slightly marked iPhone X for an iPhone 12 recently and got £275 for it. That's about a third of the price of the new phone, and it had a scratched screen. My iPhone X is now over 3 years old and working perfectly. That siad, I do know that they engineer their software updates to slow older phones down.

What specific product is "more and more cheaply built for years"? How do you know they are "DESIGNED TO FAIL"? Did you just read that on the internet?

Apple allows "certified" third party repair shops to fix Apple products. If you get an uncertified repair and they botch it, Apple doesn't want to be responsible for your botch job.

Overcharge? What is that based upon?

Apple employs over 100,000 people in the US. Current Mac Pros are assembled in Texas. Electronic supply chains moved to China a couple decades ago, and so, every US electronics company has their product manufactured there. Dell was the first. My college friend was the top lawyer there, and I recall her going to Xiamen, China when they were negotiating the contracts.

Who are you giving your dollar to? Samsung? Dell? HP? Do you even realize they have their products manufactured in the same contract manufacturing facilities as Apple?

I hate Apple with a fiery passion. So much so that I have no Apple products and admit that I had to Google this but....

Apple has a customer service phone number: 1-800-MY-APPLE (800–692–7753) I even just called it and within minutes had a real live human being. On a Sunday afternoon no less.

They're already on a different level than Tesla who offers NO customer-facing phone number.

*drops mic*

/thread

Reactions: ladysbff
I hate Apple with a fiery passion. So much so that I have no Apple products and admit that I had to Google this but....

Apple has a customer service phone number: 1-800-MY-APPLE (800–692–7753) I even just called it and within minutes had a real live human being. On a Sunday afternoon no less.

They're already on a different level than Tesla who offers NO customer-facing phone number.

*drops mic*

/thread
I am with you, I also don't like apple products.

Reactions: Ostrichsak