Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch 3 LTE interference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ended up taking my car into tesla Service for them to look at this and another issue. They decided to replace the mic in the car which has fixed the garbling for me. I am very surprised. Just to note I have a Apple Watch gen 1, iPhone 8 and MS Dec 2017 build.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Data points: neither I nor my wife have experience this issue. Both have Apple 3 LTE watch but with iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 respectively.

Watch won't pair with the car so logic says that shouldn't be the cause.

Noting that following upgrade to iPhone X we now have the same garbled outgoing voice issue; all other variables remain unchanged which suggests the issue is between the iPhoneX and Tesla.

Data points: neither I nor my wife have experience this issue. Both have Apple 3 LTE watch but with iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 respectively.

Watch won't pair with the car so logic says that shouldn't be the cause.
It annoys the heck out of me that the watch won't pair with the car, but that's another story.

No noticeable issues here, with Dec 2016 Model S, iPhone X 1865 on 11.2.5 (Unlocked on T-Mo), Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular.

Someone posted about this on Reddit. It's a known issue according to Tesla.

I was able to reproduce it:

(Tested this with a 2015 Model S P90D and a 2016 Model S 75D facelift, and both an iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X)

Phone call with iPhone, Apple Watch S3 LTE, all radios enabled -> other party hears interference
Turn off LTE and WiFi on watch -> no change
Set Apple Watch to airplane mode -> Issue goes away

I have tested this multiple times for almost a month, and whenever I'm on a call, if the other person complains about noise, I just set my watch to airplane mode. I haven't had the workaround fail on me yet.

Not sure if the issue is with Tesla or Apple; hope they fix it soon, though!

[Source]

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW
Since getting my Apple Watch with LTE, my outgoing call quality is completely unusable. It is only with the watch turned on and in the car. The outgoing sound is garbled and broken up. Incoming quality is just fine. Early on I thought it was just the car and Tesla replaced the mics. Apple also gave me a new phone and inspected and tested the watch. Everything is to spec. I have not seen anyone else having this issue. In fact when I had a loaner model X I had no issues. It has to be something hardware related with my car specifically. Anyone else have this issue? I have just now reached out to Tesla to see what else can be done.

I’ve had the same problem ... but did not, until this instant, understand it’s probable source. Had Tesla SC check out the car. Had Apple replace my phone. Problem persisted.

Now, it all makes sense. Thank you!

Hmmmmm. Wonder if I’m having the same problem. I’ve had a number of complaints about my Bluetooth sound quality. I always end up re starting my phone and that solves my problem. I often wear a “regular” watch so I haven’t related this to days where I have been wearing an Apple Watch. I will be looking out for this now.

Also, sometimes when others complain, I switch over to an earpiece and they still complain. Makes me think this is a Apple issue.

Hmmmmm. Wonder if I’m having the same problem. I’ve had a number of complaints about my Bluetooth sound quality. I always end up re starting my phone and that solves my problem. I often wear a “regular” watch so I haven’t related this to days where I have been wearing an Apple Watch. I will be looking out for this now.

Also, sometimes when others complain, I switch over to an earpiece and they still complain. Makes me think this is a Apple issue.

It's got to be a combo issue with Apple and Tesla. Doesn't happen in any of my other cars. Doesn't happen to most people with Tesla's even. The only solution so far that works for me is airplane mode on the watch. I've gotten quick at turning it on when a call comes in. Not ideal.....waiting for a solution......

I just discovered this thread, and I too have the interference problem with my Apple Watch Series 3 and 2017 MS 100D.

Airplane mode greatly improves the audio quality at the other end of the call.

Someone posted about this on Reddit. It's a known issue according to Tesla.

I was able to reproduce it:

(Tested this with a 2015 Model S P90D and a 2016 Model S 75D facelift, and both an iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X)

Phone call with iPhone, Apple Watch S3 LTE, all radios enabled -> other party hears interference
Turn off LTE and WiFi on watch -> no change
Set Apple Watch to airplane mode -> Issue goes away

I have tested this multiple times for almost a month, and whenever I'm on a call, if the other person complains about noise, I just set my watch to airplane mode. I haven't had the workaround fail on me yet.

Not sure if the issue is with Tesla or Apple; hope they fix it soon, though!

[Source]

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW
I have the problem as well. I sure hope apple gets a fix in for this. I'm on the latest developer beta and still has the problem.
I try to keep up with this and may be missing something, but am still not sure from all the posts above that the single issue is “with Apple”. As I said a number of posts above, my Apple Watch 3 LTE works fine in my perhaps more ancient 2015-build MS that has AP and all the other optional goodies. I don’t have any different static or cellular reception issues when I have my watch completely operational. With many of the people posting Apple Watch LTE problems not having a sig line or indicting at least a model and build-date, it’s hard for at least me to come to a conclusion this is only an Apple problem. Some of us have so many other long-standing Infotainment bugs where Tesla is clearly to blame for sloppy code or not seeing Infotainment as a priority to work on, that at this point with my own personal experience, I hope Tesla is reaching out to take ownership with Apple to resolve a JOINT issue. I admit I love my Apple gear most of the time (they are not perfect for a fact), but Tesla’s lack of attention to caring and resolving these sort of issues for months and years at a time shift where I see problem ownership should lie,

As an additional data for this issue...

I have a 2017 MS, iPhoneX, and Series 3 LTE. Recently had the iPhone replaced and the issue went away. However, after I resynched my watch to the new replacement phone... the issue came back.

In addition, I am able to reproduce the issue with all of my car bluetooth speakers and my portable bluetooth speakers. I used the portable bluetooth speaker to explain the issue during my recent visit to the genius bar.

With all of this in mind, I am taking a closer look at the AppleWatch to iPhone communication to see if I can continue to narrow down the issue. Will let you guys know if I come up with anything new.

If anybody else has any other ideas, please let us know.

As an additional data for this issue...

I have a 2017 MS, iPhoneX, and Series 3 LTE. Recently had the iPhone replaced and the issue went away. However, after I resynched my watch to the new replacement phone... the issue came back.

In addition, I am able to reproduce the issue with all of my car bluetooth speakers and my portable bluetooth speakers. I used the portable bluetooth speaker to explain the issue during my recent visit to the genius bar.

With all of this in mind, I am taking a closer look at the AppleWatch to iPhone communication to see if I can continue to narrow down the issue. Will let you guys know if I come up with anything new.

If anybody else has any other ideas, please let us know.
This is very interesting. I hadn't thought to try portable speakers. I don't have the issue in my other cars so I really thought it was just a Tesla thing.
Apple has tested my watch extensively and replaced my phone also to no avail. At this point they don't see it as their issue.
Tesla has told me they are still looking into it, but I'm sure they see it as a very isolated issue and maybe not their issue since it doesn't affect all of their cars the same way.
Having to hit airplane mode every time a call comes in is not ideal. Bleeding edge issues I suppose.