Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch interference with phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
I have an iPhone 8 with iOS12.1. When it’s in my pocket it has unlocked the car successfully at least 95% of the time for months. Last week I got an Apple Watch 4 and since then the car is unlocking on approach only about half of the time. When I unlock my phone I hear a click and the car door is unlocked. I don’t even have to tap the Tesla app, unlocking the phone is all it takes to unlock the car. I haven’t changed any settings on my phone that I know of, just paired the watch with it. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I have an iPhone 8 with iOS12.1. When it’s in my pocket it has unlocked the car successfully at least 95% of the time for months. Last week I got an Apple Watch 4 and since then the car is unlocking on approach only about half of the time. When I unlock my phone I hear a click and the car door is unlocked. I don’t even have to tap the Tesla app, unlocking the phone is all it takes to unlock the car. I haven’t changed any settings on my phone that I know of, just paired the watch with it. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I noticed the same thing recently on my iPhone X, but do not have the Apple Watch 4. Just recently, maybe two weeks ago, I had to start unlocking my phone. It's hit or miss though and doesn't happen every time. I sometimes get stuck trying to unlock 4-5 times before taking my phone. People have thought I'm trying to steal my car.

I have an iPhone XS Max and an Apple Watch 4 and have always gotten consistent opening of the Model 3 doors without having to open the Tesla app. I've only had one failure as far as I can remember and it was rectified by just opening the Tesla app (the Model 3 was already selected).

I have an iPhone XS Max and an Apple Watch 4 and have always gotten consistent opening of the Model 3 doors without having to open the Tesla app. I've only had one failure as far as I can remember and it was rectified by just opening the Tesla app (the Model 3 was already selected).
Next time perhaps try just unlocking the phone. The car may have unlocked from that even before you tapped the Tesla app, and you thought tapping the app is what did It.

• Helpful
Reactions: araxara
I have an iPhone XS and Apple Watch Series 4. 100% operation on My P3D+. No issues ...except when I have my wife's S70D selected in the Tesla App.

Oh and BTW with Remote S and Siri Shortcuts I can open the frunk or trunk or turn on the climate control with my Watch and voice...sweet.