Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch/Tesla question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Iphone 11 that works fine with my M3 with calls and texts. If I were to get an Apple Watch (which will be linked to my Iphone) and have the watch on while driving, will my messages and calls still show up on my Apple Watch? Or will it show on the car only? Or both? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have a iPhone 8 and AppleWatch Series 6 cellular. Here are my observations.

-If you ALSO have contacts/messages/chimes on your phone synced to your M3, then calls & texts received while driving will come through the car audio system. These calls/texts do also “show up” on your phone and watch, BUT you will not get a separate audible or visual notification on either your phone or watch (because everything is going to your vehicle). It should be noted that while you may have your phone paired with your vehicle (which will allow the phone to unlock/operate the vehicle), that alone does not mean that calls/texts will come through the vehicle. To enable this function, you have to turn on “Sync Contacts and Recent Calls”, “Sync Messages” and “Chime on New Messages” separately in the Tesla Bluetooth settings screen. To enter this particular menu/setting, just tap on that Bluetooth symbol/icon located on the far upper right-hand corner of your Tesla screen.

-Of course, when/after you exit the vehicle and leave the Bluetooth range of the vehicle, then the audible/visual notification for incoming calls & texts will return to either your phone or Watch.

There was a third-party (paid) Apple Watch app, but since Tesla changed the oauth process, most apps stopped working. Personally, I’d never consider the idea of giving a third party access to my Tesla account (or any other account).

There was a third-party (paid) Apple Watch app, but since Tesla changed the oauth process, most apps stopped working. Personally, I’d never consider the idea of giving a third party access to my Tesla account (or any other account).

Not sure if you are referring to the Watch for Tesla app, but that one has worked flawlessly for me. No issues so far... knock on wood.

As for giving a 3rd party access to your Tesla account, I do not know if this applies to all 3rd party apps, but at least for the one I use (Watch for Tesla), I’m fairly concern it has been confirmed that you are not really giving them access to your account, but rather a security token which is used to authenticate your identify and thus allow your AppleWatch to communicate with and access the vehicle. In other words, the 3rd party who owns this app does not really see or has access to your account.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Not sure if you are referring to the Watch for Tesla app, but that one has worked flawlessly for me. No issues so far... knock on wood.

As for giving a 3rd party access to your Tesla account, I do not know if this applies to all 3rd party apps, but at least for the one I use (Watch for Tesla), I’m fairly concern it has been confirmed that you are not really giving them access to your account, but rather a security token which is used to authenticate your identify and thus allow your AppleWatch to communicate with and access the vehicle. In other words, the 3rd party who owns this app does not really see or has access to your account.
I figured he might be referring to AutoMate which stopped working.

I would 2nd your opinion on Watch for Tesla. It's worked great.

Reactions: GreenHokie

Yep, I was talking about Watch for Tesla.

About the token, I'd rather err on the side of caution.