Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you carry the key card?
I do carry it in my wallet but I don’t take anything with me on swims, other than my Apple Watch and my driver’s license. The Tesla for Apple Watch app allows you to fully unlock the car and be able to drive. It does so by saving the password or token. However, this also only works because I have the cellular Apple Watch so it can communicate to the car through Tesla API. I wouldn’t be able to control much if I only had the WiFi/GPS-only Apple Watch.

Been going ‘naked’ without phone or FOB for years on ‘17 Model S and X. Various Watch apps that give full control including locking, sentry, climate, charging, and driving. Provided you have network connection.

Have not tried anything other than un/locking on our ‘22 MYP or SPlaid yet. But don’t expect anything to change as the only real notable difference is lack of FOB and Y and addition of KeyCard on S.

Reactions: Daekwan and UCF3
I do carry it in my wallet but I don’t take anything with me on swims, other than my Apple Watch and my driver’s license. The Tesla for Apple Watch app allows you to fully unlock the car and be able to drive. It does so by saving the password or token. However, this also only works because I have the cellular Apple Watch so it can communicate to the car through Tesla API. I wouldn’t be able to control much if I only had the WiFi/GPS-only Apple Watch.
Does the phone have to be powered on, within range of cellular service to be able to use the Apple Watch with LTE to drive the Tesla vehicle? Is the password/token stored on the Apple Watch or on the iPhone?

Are you sure that the app allows you to drive ? I have and it only unlocks the car.

Are you sure that the app allows you to drive ? I have and it only unlocks the car.
Absolutely certain and have used solely my watch when I was without my phone and wallet. When I go swim laps at an indoor pool, I literally only have my watch with me and my driver’s license in a pocket. I go straight home from the pool because I’m all wet and don’t plan to stop anywhere else where I’ll need my regular wallet. Worst-case, I can use Apple Pay with my watch to pay for something. The watch is all I need to unlock the Y and drive it. Of course I do need to remember to manually lock the Y with the watch since walk-away autolock doesn’t work when all I have is the watch (no phone, no keycard).

Make sure you have an Apple Watch that has cellular support, not the WiFi-only model. If your watch has cellular, then the next step is to go into the app’s settings and make sure you have your Tesla password entered correctly, or use the alternate token option.

Initially the watch voice commands and remote drive didn’t work and was caused by me mistyping my password into the app. You can test this by logging into your Tesla account from a browser and check if the account has been locked due to too many bad attempts from the watch app. I had to reset my Tesla password from a browser and very carefully make sure I entered the new password correctly into the watch app and everything has been working perfectly ever since.

Edit: Just realized you said the car unlocks for you. Well, if it unlocks then all the API bits and pieces must be working so I’m not sure why remote drive fails for you. Does it give an error in the logs?

Last edited: