Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent! This gives us consumers more options in terms of selecting/buying the app which we feel is most useful.

Besides Watch App for Tesla and Stats, I wonder if there any other 3rd party watch apps that have recently added Bluetooth connectivity/functionality.

No issues here. The new Bluetooth functionality has worked extremely well for me. My watch connects with and controls everything on my vehicle every time I touch/open the app on my watch. The additional functionality on the watch (like being able to unlatch/open all four doors) is another plus. The official Tesla phone app only allows you to unlatch one (the driver’s side) door.

Hope you can figure out the cause of your connectivity issues…
I ended up uninstalling the phone and watch app and then reinstalling and re-pairing. That fixed the issue

Excellent! This gives us consumers more options in terms of selecting/buying the app which we feel is most useful.

Besides Watch App for Tesla and Stats, I wonder if there any other 3rd party watch apps that have recently added Bluetooth connectivity/functionality.
Sure, well it's not an app exactly but if you contact Elon through Twitter he can program your covid chip to act as a Tesla key. And soooooooo much more..........

I did run across this but it seems a little deep for me.
Video on youtube. I didn't try it but its free. I think the 'watch for tesla' is based on this method.

If you paranoid about exposing your Tesla login, the app "Virtual Keyfob for Watch" ($10) is installed ONLY on the watch directly, requires no login whatsoever.. but the UI is horrendous and can only unlock/lock/frunk/trunk/charge.

Do all the other watch apps require you to provide your Tesla login? even just to unlock via bluetooth?

Do all the other watch apps require you to provide your Tesla login? even just to unlock via bluetooth?

Not sure about all watch apps, but with the Watch for Tesla App, you do need to enter your login info when you first install/setup the app. However, it is my understanding that you are not really giving any 3rd party “access” to your Tesla account. Instead, what is really happening when you enter your login info that one time during the initial install is… you are simply providing a security token which is then used by the app to authenticate your identity and thus allows the app on your watch to communicate with and access the vehicle. In other words, the 3rd party who owns this app does not really see or has access to your account.

I think a few tech/security nerds have chimed in and confirmed the above is true on various other threads/posts on TMC.

Even if it isn’t true, I have zero security concerns with providing my login information during the initial install. IMO, an actual security risk/threat with this watch app is far far less likely and impactful than say all the times I use my credit card either in person or online to make a purchase or do any online banking activities.

Reactions: KerryOH
Not sure about all watch apps, but with the Watch for Tesla App, you do need to enter your login info when you first install/setup the app. However, it is my understanding that you are not really giving any 3rd party “access” to your Tesla account. Instead, what is really happening when you enter your login info that one time during the initial install is… you are simply providing a security token which is then used by the app to authenticate your identity and thus allows the app on your watch to communicate with and access the vehicle. In other words, the 3rd party who owns this app does not really see or has access to your account.

I think a few tech/security nerds have chimed in and confirmed the above is true on various other threads/posts on TMC.

Even if it isn’t true, I have zero security concerns with providing my login information during the initial install. IMO, an actual security risk/threat with this watch app is far far less likely and impactful than say all the times I use my credit card either in person or online to make a purchase or do any online banking activities.
Completely agree with above. The STATS App that I use says this:

IMG_5594.jpg

Thanks to @GreenHokie for all the info. I've always wanted an app on my watch to unlock my Tesla via Bluetooth, as opposed to cellular. Allows me to use it in the backcountry where cell coverage is unreliable.

I always thought the watch problem is that the phone uses Bluetooth Low Energy, that's how they can have it on all the time, to allow you to walk up to your car and unlock immediately; while the watch does not have BT low energy functionality.

So, it sounds like the app developers have gotten around this by not worrying about walk-up capability, because you have to open the app to enable BT, so it's more of an emergency backup function. That's also why it won't proximity lock as you walk away, since again BT has to be operating. For the phone with BT low energy, it's always on. Regular BT is not. And, you don't want regular BT on, all the time on your watch since it would run down your battery.

The weird thing for me, is I finally got a RFID chip an antenna in a watchband for my Watch, literally a week ago. It's just like those Cnick rings. It functions like a Tesla keycard. So, now my Watch has three ways to open the car, via the RFID in the strap, via app over BT, and via app over cellular.

I didn't really want to wear a Cnick ring, so the watch strap was perfect. It's not the Taptes, but probably the supplier to Taptes, Colmo, so only $120. No Taptes tax. Find it on Amazon.
by default 2023-01-05 at 4.07.31 PM.jpg
by default 2023-01-05 at 4.07.54 PM.jpg

Thanks to @GreenHokie for all the info. I've always wanted an app on my watch to unlock my Tesla via Bluetooth, as opposed to cellular. Allows me to use it in the backcountry where cell coverage is unreliable.

I always thought the watch problem is that the phone uses Bluetooth Low Energy, that's how they can have it on all the time, to allow you to walk up to your car and unlock immediately; while the watch does not have BT low energy functionality.

So, it sounds like the app developers have gotten around this by not worrying about walk-up capability, because you have to open the app to enable BT, so it's more of an emergency backup function. That's also why it won't proximity lock as you walk away, since again BT has to be operating. For the phone with BT low energy, it's always on. Regular BT is not. And, you don't want regular BT on, all the time on your watch since it would run down your battery.

The weird thing for me, is I finally got a RFID chip an antenna in a watchband for my Watch, just a week ago. It's just like those Cnick rings. It functions like a Tesla keycard. So, now my Watch has three ways to open the car, via the RFID in the strap, via app over BT, and via app over cellular.

I didn't really want to wear a Cnick ring, so the watch strap was perfect.
View attachment 894582View attachment 894581
Where? Link? Cost? Thank You