Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting! I think it would still be inconvenient - have to touch the car each time to unlock? Normal Tesla key has to sit in the console - what about the watch strap? Hmm. I'm not tempted.

Interesting! I think it would still be inconvenient - have to touch the car each time to unlock? Normal Tesla key has to sit in the console - what about the watch strap? Hmm. I'm not tempted.
I have the cnick bracelet. Once the car is unlocked there is a certain time limit to start the car. No need to put wrist by center console. I do have to lock when I walk away. The bracelet is solely as a back up.

Reactions: tCC_
Can you use the watch as an NFC card backup? I.e. take the watch off and hold it up to a spot on the car? If not, keep in mind that internet connectivity has risks. Obviously rural areas but also parking garages that are too deep. Like you park two floors down and can unlock, but you park three down and you can’t. Or the rare but occasional server breakdown at Tesla. You’re stranded.

How far away was your phone? At least 50 ft?
Yep, I have regularly left my phone at home and only used the watch app. Still works at my destination without my phone. However, the app does need to be open to lock/unlock/drive the car. If the screen turns off on the watch before getting the car into drive mode, the tap keycard message will come up, but I have found when I relaunch the WatchOS app, it will let me drive without any issues.

I was at our local Costco today and took the opportunity to record some short videos demonstrating Siri voice command, door unlock, and remote drive through only the Tesla for Watch app. I am recording with my iPhone but it is in airplane mode with Bluetooth off. I also do not have my keycard today. AW7 with LTE. Hope this helps others.

Cool, I did not until now know I could drive without my iPhone in hand. Thanks for that......

Now I can unlock the car, open the trunk/frunk, and start the car with a tap or voice command.

1664604425899.png

Reactions: JDEWD250
I was at our local Costco today and took the opportunity to record some short videos demonstrating Siri voice command, door unlock, and remote drive through only the Tesla for Watch app.

Pretty sure you mean Watch App for Tesla?

C0B8C8C9-6B00-4294-8D11-53D5F1131829.jpeg

I use it too. Great when it works.

If walking to car, have to hit “open trunk“ or tell Siri to do it long before I get there. Otherwise I end up standing behind car waiting for it to open.

Often unreliable and have to open manually anyway.

Sometimes it asks me which car I want to open, even though I’ve used its
settings on both phone and watch to associate with my Y.

Inexpensive enough that it’s worth a try.

Last edited:
If walking to car, have to hit “open trunk“ or tell Siri to do it long before I get there. Otherwise I end up standing behind car waiting for it to open.
So the app advises that if it's responding slowly to tap open the app itself earlier, before you walk out the door, just to wake up the car. Then tap or Siri whatever function you want. For me, the response is location/signal related. Certain of my repetitive exits are always consistent and timely and some others are consistently not. But my iPhone Tesla app is similar. There are locations/exits where it is very slow to wake the car up. Just not as noticeable on the iPhone because it inherently takes longer to trigger a function.

Reactions: Made in CA
For example, one specific grocery store exit consistently had me waiting at the trunk for the open trunk function to engage. So I learned that at that store I should open the app to wake up the car while at checkout, then walking out the door to raise my arm and say Siri blah blah blah trunk..........Or you could park further away.

I was at our local Costco today and took the opportunity to record some short videos demonstrating Siri voice command, door unlock, and remote drive through only the Tesla for Watch app. I am recording with my iPhone but it is in airplane mode with Bluetooth off. I also do not have my keycard today. AW7 with LTE. Hope this helps others.

I’ve been using Watch for Tesla for a while. My main complaint with it is that it often takes quite a while for it to connect to the car. If I open the frunk as I leave a store, I’m often at the car, getting my phone out before it finally opens. I assume this is just due to the lag of connecting and waking the car up. Is there any way to speed it up other than leaving the car in sentry mode so it doesn’t sleep?

I’ve been using Watch for Tesla for a while. My main complaint with it is that it often takes quite a while for it to connect to the car. If I open the frunk as I leave a store, I’m often at the car, getting my phone out before it finally opens. I assume this is just due to the lag of connecting and waking the car up. Is there any way to speed it up other than leaving the car in sentry mode so it doesn’t sleep?
As I said above park further away, or do the other thing.........

I ask Siri to open trunk when they're checking my reciept at Costco and the trunk is open by the time I reach the nearby handicap parking spots. I always have Sentry Mode on though, except when home. Why not use Sentry Mode? It is a great feature and the energy consumption is trivial on a daily basis (assuming you charge at home).

Reactions: sleepydoc