Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Applications keep opening in panes OTHER than maps on 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In testing it just now I've come to the conclusion that if you hit the non-nav app button quickly it opens in bottom, and if you hold it down just for a half second or so it will open in the top. It does show you the selection, but your finger is on the top already.

I'll try doing it this way because most of the time I have no desire to change the bottom app except when the album art is of a half naked girl. I'm pretty self conscious of driving down the road with a half naked girl on my 17inch screen. Aside from those moments the top app is nav/waze/energy, and the bottom is media.

I think that this is the perfect opportunity to provide an update that allows us to select whether we prefer the app on the top or on the bottom for each app. Obviously, we each have our own personal preferences. And while I find that it works fairly well for me so far, I can certainly understand why others would be frustrated.

I also dislike the new larger maps screen. It just really doesn't seem that necessary, as the screen is plenty large already. It just makes it more awkward, and takes away from the quick and easy operation that it had before.

The $100k trip from Cheapo Air is one way and no snacks

:)

That reminds me that I am a MUG ...

... in the 90's there were glossy TV Adverts here in UK for how wonderful Business Class on Air Canada was. Of course they meant Transatlantic, but I didn't know that ...

... next time I was in USA I booked myself from Newark to Toronto with Air Canada in First Class ... and got a packet of peanuts on the way up, and a Satay stick on the way back ...

Mind you, in the 70's I flew with British Airways on a Jumbo from London to Hong Kong. They had a plane stranded in HK with a U/S engine, so they strapped a third jet (I kid you not!) under one of our wings to haul out there. A 5 hours delay leaving and two additional refuelling stops en route (guess what? the plane could not maintain cruising altitude). So on takeoff from London they offered us a free drink. I'd already decided to have a mini bottle of Champagne, as I was 18 and off on a 2-year adventure trip ... but BA decided that was not a free drink and charged me for it!!

Ho!Hum!. Hopefully Musk Mars Missions will not adopt either of those inflight service levels ...

In testing it just now I've come to the conclusion that if you hit the non-nav app button quickly it opens in bottom, and if you hold it down just for a half second or so it will open in the top. It does show you the selection, but your finger is on the top already.

Here's the answer people! Good testing @S4WRXTTCS and thanks for relaying this technique.

Curious does the manual explain this quick tap to open in the bottom? (I don't have 8 yet).

Funny, it could be a bug that it works this way. We shouldn't talk to much about this feechur else the coders might "fix" it with an update.

Just to clarify, if you want "music" in the top pane, instead of current "map" that is already in top pane, then drag the music-icon somewhere into the top pane zone and let-go, and it will open there. No need to do anything to the camera (which is already open in bottom pane)
You can't "drag" an app icon into a pane. When you press an app icon for more than a fraction of a second a drop down appears with two boxes. You can then drag the icon to one of those two boxes which represent the two panes on the display (by default the icon is in the upper box), then release the icon in the box corresponding to the pane you want the app to appear in.
You can have ANY apps open in ANY pane. You just need to go through extra legwork (tap and hold, or tap and drag) to make it happen.
Correct. This has always been the way it works.
Yes that is the way it works for me.
Agree and that ticket to Mars could cost you a million bucks for coach.
Incorrect (maybe you are joking, I can't tell). As @Upgraded pointed out, Elon's goal is for eventually the cost of a trip to Mars will be $100K/person but that is a long term goal. Initially it will be much more, around half a million but in a few years he wants it to come down to around $250K or less.
Right, but what he didn't tell was two important things. The $100k trip from Cheapo Air is one way and no snacks
I know you are joking because you used an emoji :) but it is important to emphasize that Elon said anyone who goes to Mars gets a free return ticket that they can use any time there is a spacecraft going back to earth, which will be about every two years. He emphasized that there is no "one-way" ticket, there is always the opportunity to return at no charge.

Now back on topic...

You can't "drag" an app icon into a pane. When you press an app icon for more than a fraction of a second a drop down appears with two boxes. You can then drag the icon to one of those two boxes which represent the two panes on the display (by default the icon is in the upper box), then release the icon in the box corresponding to the pane you want the app to appear in.

Correct. This has always been the way it works.

Yes that is the way it works for me.

Incorrect (maybe you are joking, I can't tell). As @Upgraded pointed out, Elon's goal is for eventually the cost of a trip to Mars will be $100K/person but that is a long term goal. Initially it will be much more, around half a million but in a few years he wants it to come down to around $250K or less.
I know you are joking because you used an emoji :) but it is important to emphasize that Elon said anyone who goes to Mars gets a free return ticket that they can use any time there is a spacecraft going back to earth, which will be about every two years. He emphasized that there is no "one-way" ticket, there is always the opportunity to return at no charge.

Now back on topic...

Mars ain't the kind of place
To raise your kids
In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did

Rocket Man - Elton John

I just wanted to voice my support of the new app behavior. I always have the camera on top and Waze (in the web browser) on the bottom. The apps open exactly where I want them to.

I'll be very disappointed if this behavior changes. *stern look*

I'll try doing it this way because most of the time I have no desire to change the bottom app except when the album art is of a half naked girl. I'm pretty self conscious of driving down the road with a half naked girl on my 17inch screen. Aside from those moments the top app is nav/waze/energy, and the bottom is media.

Thanks for this @S4WRXTTCS. This works great. I went to test it out, and you really don't have to hold long for this to work. I just have to remember to always hold slightly longer than a tap and I can always keep my camera active in the bottom pane. :) This solution works for me (although it would still be better if I could just lock the camera pane on bottom to avoid having to do this)

The "maps on top" UI "improvement" is terrible UI. It makes the app buttons inconsistent and you have to think more to get the layout you want.

As a separate complaint, there are many times I want the map on top, but I don't want the app bar to hide (either I want quick access to things there, or visibility to other information that lives there. So ironically that means I end up with the map on the bottom instead, just the opposite of what this UX designer was trying to encourage.

Tesla, please fix this. Revert it or add some settings.

I fear the Model S/X UI is going to continue to get worse, in the name of making the Model 3 match somehow.