Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apply light force to steering wheel 5 seconds after applying force to wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get them every 60 seconds on a road trip and it has annoyed me to the point of not wanting to use autopilot. If Tesla doesn't do something about this problem, why bother with FSD.

1. This doesn't only happen on FSD, I don't have FSD - I only have the normal autopilot and I get this issue consistently - it started a few months back, maybe 2-3.
2. This issue isn't related to me not applying enough force on the wheel. I have had the car since 2019, and it had no problem with how I applied force.
3. The notification is different from the normal one you see. In this notification, the hands are red, and it repeats every 10 seconds. It's very frustrating as it bothers you when driving, it stops the music, and you're basically forced to stop using Autopilot altogether. Awful experience.
4. Did anyone had their car checked by Tesla service? I suspect the issue is with the torque sensors in the wheel, or something else - as the notification is different. Sometimes the notification shows as soon as you engage autopilot (always watching the road, with enough pressure on the wheel).

I recorded two video to show what it looks like:

With music to see how it stops:

This is what the notification looks like:
IMG_9093.jpg

And normal notification when you're not holding the hands on the wheel:
IMG_9094.jpg

Any help is appreciated. I can't use Autopilot as long as these issues persist.

Noticed that driving with the Yoke, there seems to be far less nags than in my previous X with a roundy steering wheel. Believe that the longer radius makes inputting suffient torque easier. Just resting hand on yoke seems to be enough.

1. This doesn't only happen on FSD, I don't have FSD - I only have the normal autopilot and I get this issue consistently - it started a few months back, maybe 2-3.
2. This issue isn't related to me not applying enough force on the wheel. I have had the car since 2019, and it had no problem with how I applied force.
3. The notification is different from the normal one you see. In this notification, the hands are red, and it repeats every 10 seconds. It's very frustrating as it bothers you when driving, it stops the music, and you're basically forced to stop using Autopilot altogether. Awful experience.
4. Did anyone had their car checked by Tesla service? I suspect the issue is with the torque sensors in the wheel, or something else - as the notification is different. Sometimes the notification shows as soon as you engage autopilot (always watching the road, with enough pressure on the wheel).

I recorded two video to show what it looks like:

With music to see how it stops:

This is what the notification looks like:
View attachment 863471

And normal notification when you're not holding the hands on the wheel:
View attachment 863472

Any help is appreciated. I can't use Autopilot as long as these issues persist.
That’s perhaps interesting. I think I have only seen that notification in construction zones (hard to say, these disappear quickly; I would have to review my videos).

You’ll have to fix your video links. Hopefully we’ll be able to see what the car is seeing, and not just the screen.

You’re also in Spain so who knows how things work there.

That’s perhaps interesting. I think I have only seen that notification in construction zones (hard to say, these disappear quickly; I would have to review my videos).

You’ll have to fix your video links. Hopefully we’ll be able to see what the car is seeing, and not just the screen.

You’re also in Spain so who knows how things work there.
I'm on the highway always when I activate autopilot. There were no constructions zones, just an empty highway. It happens both at night and during the day.

Just roads, you can see on the display there's nothing around. Here's one during the daylight, and you can see the side of the road. Excuse the french.

Hard to tell. Could be defective or whatever. You know how to apply torque so not that. No idea what the car is seeing so hard to tell whether it is upset by the situation.

In situations of low confidence it will double beep you all the time. Not sure why it would be upset about the situation here of course (cannot see, could be a bug, hardware failure, etc.)

Hard to tell. Could be defective or whatever. You know how to apply torque so not that. No idea what the car is seeing so hard to tell whether it is upset by the situation.

In situations of low confidence it will double beep you all the time. Not sure why it would be upset about the situation here of course (cannot see, could be a bug, hardware failure, etc.)

If hardware failure, what might it be? I don't think it's the torque sensor in the wheel, because the notification type is different (red hands). I would try to cover the camera and see if it does this thing - maybe the camera is broken and the software is now trying to use the camera somehow.

Does he? I can't tell if torque is being applied there in that video. Andu, please watch this video and try holding the wheel like I do:

Does he? I can't tell if torque is being applied there in that video. Andu, please watch this video and try holding the wheel like I do:

He claimed since 2019 so I am taking his word for it.

I agree that in the video it is hard to tell.

But I’m assuming turning force is being applied.

You can just hold the steering wheel normally (highly recommended!), no need for weird hand positions. Just have to apply turning force. 9 and 3. I usually provide no force at 3.

Reactions: Dewg
If hardware failure, what might it be? I don't think it's the torque sensor in the wheel, because the notification type is different (red hands). I would try to cover the camera and see if it does this thing - maybe the camera is broken and the software is now trying to use the camera somehow.
Red hands can come and go quickly in low confidence scenarios. Basically on merges, construction zones, etc., it needs basically constant force applied to the wheel, no period of low torque permitted. For example, immediately after an AP engagement:

Not exactly the same as the other video, because the warning disappeared quickly (perhaps because I was already torquing the wheel or nearly immediately did?), and there was no blue flashing.

I agree if it were a hardware failure you'd expect to see more of the standard progression. And presumably you'd end up in AP jail at some point (he does not have FSD), which was not mentioned in this case.

So to me it seems like the car is upset by something it is seeing or has lost confidence, possibly semi-permanently. Might need to be reset or something. No idea really.

Last edited:
It's being applied, I've had the car for several years and I haven't changed my driving style. The car has introduced this issue. If I apply it even harder, it exits Autopilot.
Don't worry. This idiot toy car company will likely just remove your steering wheel all together, after removing radar, ultrasonics, and changing the UI so hard it takes a blood hound to find any settings now. But they'll give you an XBox controller to steer with, which you'll have to pay $2K for. And you'll still have to hold the controller a certain way or the features you paid for won't work. Yay - this is progress!!

Reactions: 2101Guy
I keep both hands on the wheel but have a very light touch and steering on comfort. With FSDbeta I started to get the silent blue-alert apply steering force nag roughly every 30 to 35 seconds it was incredibly distracting and IMHO dangerous (eyes off road to check the message on the screen several seconds). I also tried the one-hand technique in the youtube video and STILL got the nag message almost as often (but not quite). Rarely the red audible hands-on-wheel alert, but in a 2 hour trip over a HUNDRED nags. Ouch.

I also tried scroll wheel - not a big deal but, distracting to see with my peripheral vision on the screen and have to check if it is trying a lane change soon, something important for the alert or just nagging (usually nagging) to keep my hands on the wheel - when they ARE! It isn't my fault Tesla didn't put capacitive touch sensors in the wheel!!

So I bought a counterweight on ebay and it works perfectly - hope Tesla's engineers don't defeat this.

WIth this device on, I tried entirely hands-free (usually I don't drive hands free) and after 10 min. hands-free no nags yet! I stopped timing and went back to one-hand or two-hands lightly on the wheel and just 1 nag in 30 min. Much safer for me / less distraction.

There are quite a few sellers on ebay with similar designs - the one I bought looks like in the pictures and arrived in a few days, fits like a glove on my MY2022. Quite heavy (when autopilot OFF, a slight pull to the right) but when I jammed a Perrier bottle in the steering wheel, which was just wide enough to stay put, that sometimes wasn't enough weight and I'd still get a nag every minute or two. Strong magnets, seems very secure and I hand not trouble steering / parking with it on.

I think if you put steering on "sport" - maybe a lighter touch with one-hand-on-wheel might register as torque and fewer nags, but then the car moves more easily than I like from the lane when I steer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.16.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.16.21 PM.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.16.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.16.49 PM.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.29.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.29.23 PM.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I keep both hands on the wheel but have a very light touch and steering on comfort. With FSDbeta I started to get the silent blue-alert apply steering force nag roughly every 30 to 35 seconds it was incredibly distracting and IMHO dangerous (eyes off road to check the message on the screen several seconds). I also tried the one-hand technique in the youtube video and STILL got the nag message almost as often (but not quite). Rarely the red audible hands-on-wheel alert, but in a 2 hour trip over a HUNDRED nags. Ouch.

I also tried scroll wheel - not a big deal but, distracting to see with my peripheral vision on the screen and have to check if it is trying a lane change soon, something important for the alert or just nagging (usually nagging) to keep my hands on the wheel - when they ARE! It isn't my fault Tesla didn't put capacitive touch sensors in the wheel!!

So I bought a counterweight on ebay and it works perfectly - hope Tesla's engineers don't defeat this.

WIth this device on, I tried entirely hands-free (usually I don't drive hands free) and after 10 min. hands-free no nags yet! I stopped timing and went back to one-hand or two-hands lightly on the wheel and just 1 nag in 30 min. Much safer for me / less distraction.

There are quite a few sellers on ebay with similar designs - the one I bought looks like in the pictures and arrived in a few days, fits like a glove on my MY2022. Quite heavy (when autopilot OFF, a slight pull to the right) but when I jammed a Perrier bottle in the steering wheel, which was just wide enough to stay put, that sometimes wasn't enough weight and I'd still get a nag every minute or two. Strong magnets, seems very secure and I hand not trouble steering / parking with it on.

I think if you put steering on "sport" - maybe a lighter touch with one-hand-on-wheel might register as torque and fewer nags, but then the car moves more easily than I like from the lane when I steer.
Dude, please delete that. People don’t need to know. It’s heavily frowned upon. Especially here.

Even though I have one.

Keep it off everyones radar please.

$199 for the yoke. Not happening. Giving it a few weeks as the China men will copy the design and sell for less than $80