Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apply PPF after Fixing Rock Chips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed some chips on the front bumper after washing the car, which has less than 500 miles on it, so I was thinking of getting a PPF for at least the bumper. Drove 3000 more miles and still thinking of getting a PPF.

1. How serious are these (photos attached)?
2. Does it make sense to get a shop to repair the chips, then to a second shop to apply the PPF? (Whats the approximate costs to repair such chips, and will it look strange after the repair job?)
3. How hard is it to apply PPF on the hood and side mirrors myself? Those surfaces look much easier than the front bumper.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Comparison after 3000 miles.jpg
    Comparison after 3000 miles.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 1,730
Last edited:
1. For 3,000 miles the damage does not look bad at all. Looks like the repair job will be around $200-$500 because it looks like the chip was deep enough to remove all the layers of paid and thus the repair shop will have to sand down and blend paint to make it match.
2. It does make sense to go to an actual shop to apply pdf as it gets very messy and will take sometime. Its better to have someone install it that has done it many times before
3. I would say to have a trusted shop to apply it own the mirror and hood as well. As stated earlier it gets very messy because you need to coat both sides of the vinyl with soap water and need to have a lot of patience and accuracy to make sure everything fits well. We recommend that you also use PPF on your bumper with a set of Mud flaps to offer full protection. If you have the model Y, we carry mudflaps and other accessories in addirtion to our floor mats. You can check us out at www.Teslashields.com

Reactions: nyxynyx
Depending on how much you want to spend... Personally I would probably do my own touch up, as those don't look too terrible. I don't know how much it'd be to have it fixed.
I would 100% have a reputable shop do the ppf. It's really easy to make it look terrible, over stretch it, have bubbles and such. When you have a pro do it, it'll look absolutely flawless. My front ppf is almost invisible, with the exception of seeing the edges in a few places where edges aren't wrapped.