Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

applying for CA HOV stickers with temp plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrorob

stealth performance M3
Aug 27, 2014
oakland, ca
in reply to an earlier question i had about license plates, it was stated that you can apply for the CA HOV stickers with your temporary plate number. the state either holds onto it until you get your real plate # allocated or just goes ahead and issues the stickers - not sure.

however, i was looking at the HOV sticker webpage today, and i see this in the FAQ:

3. I just purchased my eligible vehicle. Can I immediately apply for a CAV decal?

No. The vehicle must be registered in your name. The transfer of ownership (from dealership or private party) must be completed before the application can be submitted. You will receive a registration card from DMV once the transfer of ownership is complete.​

i assume then that since i have not received anything from the DMV (neither plates nor registration) that i can not apply. all i've got is the stub that is attached to the front paper plate which does bear my name but is not a registration slip (i think it's the same thing that's taped to the window on the passenger side.)

has anyone here just sent in REG1000 with the temporary plates and no registration and had success? the car was leased if that is relevant. i see at least one horror story here in the forum where the addresses did not between the REG1000 and what tesla submitted and the DMV kicked it back, but it's not clear if the temp plate number played a part in that rejection.

thanks

I waited until I got plates / final registration. I dont expect any government office to "hold it till XXX is processed". I would expect someone to open the envelope, see the car is not registered, and return it as unable to be processed.

No idea if they do that or not, but government entities tend to not be the most "customer focused" organizations. I would wait till you had permanent registration if I were you.

I did wait for mine to come in before applying. I believe I had read some others that applied too early get refused but then it was back at the end of 2018. Calif back then was processing plates/registrations in about a month I think. Would think there are other threads, maybe under Community/California on this same topic, so might check there.

Yep, here you go: California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

CAV Decal 2020

Last edited:
Reactions: hbutler97
thanks - given the long delay right now with both receiving plates and the dmv processing sticker applications it seems to me that just sending the application in with the license number field left blank is probably the right thing to do, based on the linked thread. by the time they process the sticker app i will hopefully have a license number in the database.

this will be the 4th time i’ve done this and i think at least once i’ve applied with the plate field blank and it worked out. what’s different now is the paper plates and given how brittle the DMV can be i didn’t want to do something that would cause the application to be rejected outright.

I got the impression when I purchased my model 3 in Jan 2020, Tesla applied for the HOV sticker along with the license plate. Is this correct?

while i saw a few bolts that already had stickers when i went to lease my bolt in 2017, i think the normal case is for the purchaser to apply for the stickers. tesla should do whatever it takes to get your license plates for you, but the stickers are your responsibility.

I got the impression when I purchased my model 3 in Jan 2020, Tesla applied for the HOV sticker along with the license plate. Is this correct?

Nope,at least not any tesla owner I have read of, nor myself. I wouldnt WANT them to "automatically apply" for HOV stickers in any case. If I didnt need them (for example) I could not register for HOV lane access, and then when I sold the car the new owner would still be able to register for access as long as it had not been registered before.

We must have a license, so they should do that. HOV lane access is optional so they shouldnt automatically apply for it, especially given you are supposed to have your license and registration etc.

has anyone here just sent in REG1000 with the temporary plates and no registration and had success? the car was leased if that is relevant.

thanks
Yes, just sent pic of temp reg in front windshield, a pic of the temp plates, and a copy of the one page doc I signed at delivery (saved as a pdf file in your Tesla web page).

Got my decals in around a month later. Just after the real plates were delivered:rolleyes:

Reactions: Jpandes
What did you send to them along with the DMV form and check?
If you own your car, don't need the stickers this year and will still have your car in 2024, I suggest you wait until Jan 1, 2021 or later. See Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board for expiration as to why.

I bought a new '19 Bolt at end of Jan 2019. I still intentionally don't have the stickers. Didn't need them for my commute. Don't want the clock starting sooner than needed. Also, when the time comes, a car that's never had the HOV stickers or has late expiration will be worth more than one that expires earlier.

If you own your car, don't need the stickers this year and will still have your car in 2024, I suggest you wait until Jan 1, 2021 or later. See Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board for expiration as to why.

I bought a new '19 Bolt at end of Jan 2019. I still intentionally don't have the stickers. Didn't need them for my commute. Don't want the clock starting sooner than needed. Also, when the time comes, a car that's never had the HOV stickers or has late expiration will be worth more than one that expires earlier.

So you don't have to apply in a specific timeframe after you purchase your car? I wish I had known this earlier, but perhaps like schmluss, my application will get kicked back and I can do this.

So you don't have to apply in a specific timeframe after you purchase your car? I wish I had known this earlier, but perhaps like schmluss, my application will get kicked back and I can do this.
On the bolded part, correct. However, there's also the risk that they could stop accepting applications for some reason (e.g. a cap).

Back to the 1st point, this is why some people buy used EVs or qualifying PHEVs that have never received CA HOV stickers (usually from outside CA) and then get CA HOV stickers for them.

Yes, just sent pic of temp reg in front windshield, a pic of the temp plates, and a copy of the one page doc I signed at delivery (saved as a pdf file in your Tesla web page).

Got my decals in around a month later. Just after the real plates were delivered:rolleyes:
Confirming....you applied for CAV decal using the paper-temp plate and DMV accepted this and sent you decals BEFORE you received your permanent plates and formal registration info? I just posted this earlier, before discovering this thread:

Has anyone found any tricks to speed up the process of applying for a CAV decal?​
  1. Has anyone successfully submitted an application with the TEMPORARY paper plate license?​
  2. Any tips on getting a permanent license plate number to apply?​
The epitome of "bureaucracy" - I've had decals for 7 years, I finally buy a 100% electric, and now stuck for 2+ months unable to use the HOV lane? California should find a way to issue upon PURCHASE of a CAV - or....speed up the process and charge us 10x the cost to get the decal.​
Help save 1000's of us a billion hours of wasted time getting across the Bay Bridge! Or did I miss something in how to speed this up?​