Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

applying for CA HOV stickers with temp plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirming....you applied for CAV decal using the paper-temp plate and DMV accepted this and sent you decals BEFORE you received your permanent plates and formal registration info? I just posted this earlier, before discovering this thread:

Has anyone found any tricks to speed up the process of applying for a CAV decal?​
  1. Has anyone successfully submitted an application with the TEMPORARY paper plate license?​
  2. Any tips on getting a permanent license plate number to apply?​
The epitome of "bureaucracy" - I've had decals for 7 years, I finally buy a 100% electric, and now stuck for 2+ months unable to use the HOV lane? California should find a way to issue upon PURCHASE of a CAV - or....speed up the process and charge us 10x the cost to get the decal.​
Help save 1000's of us a billion hours of wasted time getting across the Bay Bridge! Or did I miss something in how to speed this up?​
Hmmmm.... I did just this last August and the application got kicked back 3 months later stating that I needed permanent plates first. I got my plates in November and waited until Jan 1 and tried again. And my application got kicked back 3 months later stating that the check was more than 90 days old and to try again. WTF!?

I Submitted for my wifes Y using the Temp Plate Number in January. (Thinking it was the same number as the Perm Plate, Of course it isnt) Expected the the form to be sent back. Called DMV and explained the situation and they said that it will likely be sent back. About a week later the check was cashed, then a few weeks later the stickers came. The registration card that came with the stickers had our correct permanent plate number on them.

Not sure how it was corrected. Maybe i got a good processor that just hooked me up and fixed my mistake, or maybe the phone technician fixed it for me and didnt say anything? Im not too sure, but it sounds like i got lucky.

I Submitted for my wifes Y using the Temp Plate Number in January. (Thinking it was the same number as the Perm Plate, Of course it isnt) Expected the the form to be sent back. Called DMV and explained the situation and they said that it will likely be sent back. About a week later the check was cashed, then a few weeks later the stickers came. The registration card that came with the stickers had our correct permanent plate number on them.

Not sure how it was corrected. Maybe i got a good processor that just hooked me up and fixed my mistake, or maybe the phone technician fixed it for me and didnt say anything? Im not too sure, but it sounds like i got lucky.
I had the same experience, although I submitted the HOV application with just the VIN because I got tired of waiting for the permanent plates. I wrote the check on Feb. 14, DMV cashed it on May 5 and the decals arrived May 8. As in your case, DMV filled in the permanent license plate information.

I had the same experience, although I submitted the HOV application with just the VIN because I got tired of waiting for the permanent plates. I wrote the check on Feb. 14, DMV cashed it on May 5 and the decals arrived May 8. As in your case, DMV filled in the permanent license plate information.
This is my exact situation, only about 2 weeks later than you. DMV chat said it's a 90 day timeframe right now which I'm on track for. Hoping to see my check cashed in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Sacramento
Update: I submitted my check and form with only the VIN (no plate) on March 2nd and they just cashed it yesterday June 3rd. So sending in with VIN only works and the timing is about 3 months/90 Days.
my first check from January got kicked back in mid-March as “older than 90 days” and my second check went to them mid March so I guess I should see something in the next couple weeks.

all great info, and thanks for tps5352 and the separate thread about their experience. Like many, I sent the HOV sticker request based on temp plate thinking that WAS the permanent plate. We'll see.
On the other hand, I've been using the HOV lane anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: brianbcc
all great info, and thanks for tps5352 and the separate thread about their experience. Like many, I sent the HOV sticker request based on temp plate thinking that WAS the permanent plate. We'll see.
On the other hand, I've been using the HOV lane anyway.

To paraphrase a famous TV duty sergeant, "Be careful out there."
Let's be Careful Out There.jpg

I've been reading the California state Vehicle Code concerning HOV lanes and stickers. I am not an attorney, but from what I can tell it is still the law that standard cars using the HOV lanes must have more than one occupant (at least 2 or 3, depending on the jurisdiction) or display an up-to-date HOV sticker (granted to CAVs). (Two-seater vehicles and motorcycles also have access, if I am not mistaken.) Therefore, the presence of one-occupant cars (even if BEV) without HOV stickers in diamond lanes during posted commute periods would appear to still be against the law, correct? Or is having an obvious BEV adequate to ensure immunity from ticketing? Or maybe carrying proof of HOV sticker application? Regardless, even partial enforcement of diamond lanes is probably a chore, at best. I would hope that CHP personnel are more concerned with speeding and reckless behavior.

In a few years (after 2024?), once CAVs predominate, commuter lanes may either disappear altogether or return to true HOV-only status, and electric and hydrogen cars no longer granted access.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrongrobot
To paraphrase a famous TV duty sergeant, "Be careful out there."

I've been reading the California state Vehicle Code concerning HOV lanes and stickers. I am not an attorney, but from what I can tell it is still the law that standard cars using the HOV lanes must have more than one occupant (at least 2 or 3, depending on the jurisdiction) or display an up-to-date HOV sticker (granted to CAVs). (Two-seater vehicles and motorcycles also have access, if I am not mistaken.) Therefore, the presence of one-occupant cars (even if BEV) without HOV stickers in diamond lanes during posted commute periods would appear to still be against the law, correct? Or is having an obvious BEV adequate to ensure immunity from ticketing? Or maybe carrying proof of HOV sticker application? Regardless, even partial enforcement of diamond lanes is probably a chore, at best. I would hope that CHP personnel are more concerned with speeding and reckless behavior.

In a few years (after 2024?), once CAVs predominate, commuter lanes may either disappear altogether or return to true HOV-only status, and electric and hydrogen cars no longer granted access.
100% correct. And sadly our HOV and carpool lanes in Northern CA are rife with cheaters taking the risk, something I never did prior. It's my calculated risk to take the lane without the sticker, and I wouldn't squeak a bit if they busted me. Very uncommon occurrence for me, but like everything, go in eyes wide open, and don't fein ignorance later, because it's not relevant.

Reactions: tps5352