Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern with calls right now is that I think there's a non-trivial chance the stock jumps reasonably quickly to $950 after the earnings call. Not a huge chance, but there's also the chance that it runs up next week before the earnings call. All in all, enough possible upside that I wouldn't want to be stuck with a sold vaguely close to the money call.

Anyway, I had just-a-little-OTM puts expiring this Friday that I "rolled" to next Friday. It looks like ETrade charges double the commission even when the buy-to-close and sell-to-open are put together on one limit order, so it seems like a "roll" is almost always worse than buying to close when the price is high-ish and selling to open when the price is low-ish, even during the same day (that is, I thought a single commission was the supposed benefit, but I don't seem to get that).

So I bought back around $6, which on the one hand feels like I left money on the table with expiration tomorrow, but on the other hand, as someone said upthread, next week's position was the one I wanted to be in more. Overall, this will be my least profitable week in a while, but the price was pretty flat and next week stands to be better than average... so long as there's not a serious case of sell the news. Fingers crossed. :)

Finally, with ETrade I don't seem to have as good a margin situation as some of you. For instance, if I try to sell a 725 put and buy a 700 put, it takes $72,500 margin (the full amount of the sold put). You guys seemed to be saying that represented "$25,000 of capital" when you talk about the return, but if it takes $72.5K margin, I'd consider that to consume $72.5K of capital. Is that just that I don't have portfolio margin? Or are different brokers different for this?

On the margin question - I have regular account margin, and when I opened a spread for this week expiration, it changed my margin amount by exactly $2500 per pair of contracts (725/700 credit put). So things I can think of
- make sure you've got margin on the account (I'm assuming yes :D)
- on the Fidelity trade ticket, I have the choice of making the trade as Cash or Margin. My default has shifted to margin, but I double check that.
- You might need to enter the trade on a single transaction ticket, rather than as two separate trades.

Your point about being very close OTM on calls (such as 905 with shares at 845) is well taken. If I were only selling calls, I would probably be sitting out completely. I definitely would not have opened only the 905 call.

But this experiment I've been running, that did me the favor of going deeply ITM immediately and, has given me the confidence to believe I can 'recover' that call should the shares go to $950 on Feb 5. That's "only" $50 ITM, and I've been rolling from deeper ITM than that.

The value to selling strangles rather than only 1 side, is that if the shares go to $950 next week, then that means the put I sold will be going to $0 rapidly, and I'll get to roll it up and/or out for a big credit, and watch that new position also start melting away. Those big credits provide me with even more risk protection, as I collected better than $50 on the 810/905 strangle; the position remains profitable all the way up to $955 (minus closing prices and stuff). Selling an extra put along the way might get another $10 in the same time frame.

The two legs create a delta neutral position at the open. It'll stay reasonably neutral while the shares are reasonably flat, and become increasingly directional as the shares go some direction (delta going down on 1 leg, while increasing on the other). This is one reason to roll the winning position towards the losing position - that will increase your delta on that leg, and get you back closer to neutral. @bxr140 has more on this idea in a post earlier today.

And on this particular position, assignment at $905 also isn't bad - I bought those share at $853, so the big premium plus the share improvement also yields an excellent result.

On the roll mechanics, it is definitely two trades that are put together (just like a spread is two trades on a single ticket) on a single ticket. So yes - two commissions. The advantages I see and use on the rolls:
- convenience.
- slippage. Because the two contracts execute together, I don't have moves between the two transactions (good or bad) that changes the outcome I was looking for. You are absolutely correct that you can get a better result if you can find a better close and then a better open time. I don't look for those because I'm trying to avoid market timing as much as possible (such as finding the better close/open situations).
- most importantly - I've been in a situation where I COULDN'T do a BTC/STO as two different transactions, and get where I wanted to get to. I didn't have enough cash in the account to do separate transactions. The roll transaction will use the proceeds from the open transaction to pay for the close transaction.

The thing I've noticed, at least at Fidelity - the default credit / debit price seems to be worst price from each side of the trade. I tend to change that to a little bit short of the midpoint, and it usually fills pretty quickly. So an 8.50 / 9.00 range - I might set the limit at 8.70. (Not advice of course). You might want to keep an eye on that dynamic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
Hey everyone! I've read through a lot of this thread (not all of it since that may take forever, but still combing through). I am new to options trading, but I have some friends / people I know that have made some good money from trading options. I currently hold TSLA and believe in what they are doing (hence the allure of The Wheel). I know this can be as simple (to a point) or as complicated as someone would want it to be, but it seems like this is more or less a game of selling puts until you get the strike price wrong at which point you'll be forced to purchase the shares at the strike price. Then covered calls until the shares are called away, and round and round we go. In its simplest form, it seems like The Wheel is "easy" in a sense that as long as the stock price never dips below the strike price you continue rake in the premium dollars. I know if there is a rally then dollars are being left on the table, but The Wheel seem to be great at generating weekly/monthly income. The Wheel also seems to be one tool, depending upon the goals and skills of the trader, in a large tool chest.

I know on the buying side things can get much more interesting between the losses as well as the wins, so that seems to be more of an intermediate level move.

I am currently watching Options Alpha videos, paper trading on TOS, and using what I learn to "refine" my moves.

Ultimately, it seems like the Wheel is a great place to start with Tesla assuming the trader has enough capital in the event the SP goes below the sold put strike price. It also seems like it would compliment buying call LEAPs, as The Wheel would be the short term or supplemental income and the LEAPs would hopefully turn into the cash cows.

Is all of this fair to say? I know a lot of the conversation has not been around The Wheel lately, but since I'm starting out it seems like this is a good place to get my feet wet while I'm a noob.

Thanks in advance for any help!

On the margin question - I have regular account margin, and when I opened a spread for this week expiration, it changed my margin amount by exactly $2500 per pair of contracts (725/700 credit put). So things I can think of
- make sure you've got margin on the account (I'm assuming yes :D)
- on the Fidelity trade ticket, I have the choice of making the trade as Cash or Margin. My default has shifted to margin, but I double check that.
- You might need to enter the trade on a single transaction ticket, rather than as two separate trades.

Well, if I look at the "margin calculator" -- while it shows a whole variety of fields none of which are just plain "margin", the "margin available for withdrawal" that it shows goes down by $72,500 less the credit from the purchase. That is with the "strategy" set to "put spread" which puts the buy and the sell into the calculator at the same time. (Though I'm looking at this in the calculator, when I've tried to actually execute this kind of trade with less margin available than the full put execution price, it just rejects it with an "insufficient funds" message.) I don't have a "cash or margin" option in ETrade that I can see. For instance:

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 5.12.32 PM.png

Well, if I look at the "margin calculator" -- while it shows a whole variety of fields none of which are just plain "margin", the "margin available for withdrawal" that it shows goes down by $72,500 less the credit from the purchase. That is with the "strategy" set to "put spread" which puts the buy and the sell into the calculator at the same time. (Though I'm looking at this in the calculator, when I've tried to actually execute this kind of trade with less margin available than the full put execution price, it just rejects it with an "insufficient funds" message.) I don't have a "cash or margin" option in ETrade that I can see. For instance:

View attachment 629519

Have you applied for margin? That's the best I've got. It is its own application, separate from the original brokerage account and separate from the option application.

At least on Fidelity, though I see no way this balance info isn't available on every platform, there is a Balances tab that shows a larger number of different balance for different assets. So for instance, if I want to buy bonds, Fidelity will let me work with something like 2-4x my account value (zowie). There will be something about how much cash you can withdraw using margin.

The balances tab is a LOT longer than balances in accounts without margin (3x-5x as long? there's a lot of info there).

Hey everyone! I've read through a lot of this thread (not all of it since that may take forever, but still combing through). I am new to options trading, but I have some friends / people I know that have made some good money from trading options. I currently hold TSLA and believe in what they are doing (hence the allure of The Wheel). I know this can be as simple (to a point) or as complicated as someone would want it to be, but it seems like this is more or less a game of selling puts until you get the strike price wrong at which point you'll be forced to purchase the shares at the strike price. Then covered calls until the shares are called away, and round and round we go. In its simplest form, it seems like The Wheel is "easy" in a sense that as long as the stock price never dips below the strike price you continue rake in the premium dollars. I know if there is a rally then dollars are being left on the table, but The Wheel seem to be great at generating weekly/monthly income. The Wheel also seems to be one tool, depending upon the goals and skills of the trader, in a large tool chest.

I know on the buying side things can get much more interesting between the losses as well as the wins, so that seems to be more of an intermediate level move.

I am currently watching Options Alpha videos, paper trading on TOS, and using what I learn to "refine" my moves.

Ultimately, it seems like the Wheel is a great place to start with Tesla assuming the trader has enough capital in the event the SP goes below the sold put strike price. It also seems like it would compliment buying call LEAPs, as The Wheel would be the short term or supplemental income and the LEAPs would hopefully turn into the cash cows.

Is all of this fair to say? I know a lot of the conversation has not been around The Wheel lately, but since I'm starting out it seems like this is a good place to get my feet wet while I'm a noob.

Thanks in advance for any help!

All seems about right to me.

Couple idea up front - I think of this thread as a learning thread. We're all learning from each other. My hope is that when somebody has an experience that they don't want to repeat, they'll post about what happened and what they would do differently next time. I've read somewhere that wisdom is learning from other's experience - I'd like to be wise!

The other is that if it seems like free money, then it isn't. If it seems risk free, then it isn't. All decisions (and non-decisions) carry risks and rewards, costs and benefits. That doesn't mean that they are all equal - picking low risk and high reward positions is what we're all looking to do. If you can't find the risks, then you shouldn't do it - they are there, even if they are small in your eyes.

Related - if there was a high profit, scalable, and risk free trade in the market, then there is always somebody with more capital, more training, more infrastructure, and more anything else than you; we're minnows swimming in the sharks pool. The sharks would swarm it, pushing the price into line with the risk.

When I started this thread, I thought I would be actively turning the wheel as my primary reaction to an option going ITM. For me, and I think for most in the thread, this has evolved to more of a selling options thread, with I think all of us using other management techniques now for options that go ITM.

So for me, simplistically, my cascading list of preferences / priorities:
- for those that are on track to expire ITM:
-- best choice for me - roll the position. Rolling / managing positions is covered in the 3rd set of the OA videos
-- next might be take the loss and buy my way out
-- OR I might accept assignment
-- AND I also have the wheel to go with accepting assignment as a backup.

And backing all of that is my investor knowledge about Tesla (the company). If, for instance, I have a Put on track to expire ITM, then a serious choice for me is to just allow assignment, as that yields more shares (ok by me).

It's harder on the call side - I mostly want to own all my shares till I'm dead and give them away. But taking assignment at a very high strike price is hardly the end of the world either.

It's ultimately these two backstops that makes this easy for me. Oh - and I use very little margin, even though I've got margin on my account. It's more capital intensive, and I miss out on leveraged upside, as well as leveraged downside.

Besides doing the OA videos, the primary recommendation I have is to start small and conservative, whatever and wherever you begin. Get some experience with the mechanics which will also expose you to how options react to time and share price moves. Knowing the greeks exist and having an idea of what they mean is the first part, but the experience with some money on the line (skin in the game) is a lot more meaningful than some educational videos or paper trading (it's a continuum of increasing knowledge, experience, and ability).

The other thing to realize is that yes - put sales (within options sales more generally) have been our best performing for awhile. Maybe long enough to forget / not realize that if we see a downturn (plenty in the forum seem to think that can't happen), then it'll be the call sales that perform the best, and the put sales that are the most risky / least valuable. It's fluid :)

Note on the OA videos -- I think of them as:
1) Option basics
2) Getting into a trade
3) Getting out of a trade

All seems about right to me.

Couple idea up front - I think of this thread as a learning thread. We're all learning from each other. My hope is that when somebody has an experience that they don't want to repeat, they'll post about what happened and what they would do differently next time. I've read somewhere that wisdom is learning from other's experience - I'd like to be wise!

The other is that if it seems like free money, then it isn't. If it seems risk free, then it isn't. All decisions (and non-decisions) carry risks and rewards, costs and benefits. That doesn't mean that they are all equal - picking low risk and high reward positions is what we're all looking to do. If you can't find the risks, then you shouldn't do it - they are there, even if they are small in your eyes.

Related - if there was a high profit, scalable, and risk free trade in the market, then there is always somebody with more capital, more training, more infrastructure, and more anything else than you; we're minnows swimming in the sharks pool. The sharks would swarm it, pushing the price into line with the risk.

When I started this thread, I thought I would be actively turning the wheel as my primary reaction to an option going ITM. For me, and I think for most in the thread, this has evolved to more of a selling options thread, with I think all of us using other management techniques now for options that go ITM.

So for me, simplistically, my cascading list of preferences / priorities:
- for those that are on track to expire ITM:
-- best choice for me - roll the position. Rolling / managing positions is covered in the 3rd set of the OA videos
-- next might be take the loss and buy my way out
-- OR I might accept assignment
-- AND I also have the wheel to go with accepting assignment as a backup.

And backing all of that is my investor knowledge about Tesla (the company). If, for instance, I have a Put on track to expire ITM, then a serious choice for me is to just allow assignment, as that yields more shares (ok by me).

It's harder on the call side - I mostly want to own all my shares till I'm dead and give them away. But taking assignment at a very high strike price is hardly the end of the world either.

It's ultimately these two backstops that makes this easy for me. Oh - and I use very little margin, even though I've got margin on my account. It's more capital intensive, and I miss out on leveraged upside, as well as leveraged downside.

Besides doing the OA videos, the primary recommendation I have is to start small and conservative, whatever and wherever you begin. Get some experience with the mechanics which will also expose you to how options react to time and share price moves. Knowing the greeks exist and having an idea of what they mean is the first part, but the experience with some money on the line (skin in the game) is a lot more meaningful than some educational videos or paper trading (it's a continuum of increasing knowledge, experience, and ability).

The other thing to realize is that yes - put sales (within options sales more generally) have been our best performing for awhile. Maybe long enough to forget / not realize that if we see a downturn (plenty in the forum seem to think that can't happen), then it'll be the call sales that perform the best, and the put sales that are the most risky / least valuable. It's fluid :)

Note on the OA videos -- I think of them as:
1) Option basics
2) Getting into a trade
3) Getting out of a trade

Thank you for responding!

I definitely agree that nothing can compare to real world trading when emotions come into play versus taking fake money and blowing it. My thought process behind paper trading is just to mess up and figure out why, or win and figure out why. Also, paper trading takes the element of "I don't know how to even make a trade" out of the equation for me. When I first started looking into this I didn't even know how to figure out an options trade, let alone how to execute one. So I will say doing the paper trading has definitely helped in that regard. Once I start trading for real, I won't be using margin so that added layer will be avoided (for now) so in the event of a big loss I will just have a bad day instead of owing money I don't have and having an even worse day. The OA videos help me with the theory and mechanics of options since there can be a lot of moving parts involved between The Greeks, IV, etc.

Any advice you or anyone can give me will be extremely appreciated. Also, any knowledge I can bring here regarding wins or losses I will definitely post to help the ever growing conversation around Options. I appreciate you and everyone here taking the time to answer noobs like me as we all have to start somewhere.

View attachment 629519

That makes no sense I sold similar spreads on IRA accounts which obviously doesn't have margin and I don't have $72,500 in cash either and I am able to sell the same spread. As long as you have margin or at least $2500 in cash you should be able to make the trade.

Rolled down 900c 02/19 to 880c 02/12 flat, clipping about $7 of premium in the process. Goal being to try to accelerate theta. Ideally I’d like to roll down to next week at a reasonable strike, but doesn’t seem to be realistic without taking a debit.

Thank you for responding!

I definitely agree that nothing can compare to real world trading when emotions come into play versus taking fake money and blowing it. My thought process behind paper trading is just to mess up and figure out why, or win and figure out why. Also, paper trading takes the element of "I don't know how to even make a trade" out of the equation for me. When I first started looking into this I didn't even know how to figure out an options trade, let alone how to execute one. So I will say doing the paper trading has definitely helped in that regard. Once I start trading for real, I won't be using margin so that added layer will be avoided (for now) so in the event of a big loss I will just have a bad day instead of owing money I don't have and having an even worse day. The OA videos help me with the theory and mechanics of options since there can be a lot of moving parts involved between The Greeks, IV, etc.

Any advice you or anyone can give me will be extremely appreciated. Also, any knowledge I can bring here regarding wins or losses I will definitely post to help the ever growing conversation around Options. I appreciate you and everyone here taking the time to answer noobs like me as we all have to start somewhere.

I started out trying these options strategies on a low priced stock for lower risk before jumping into the "big leagues" of TSLA. I traded GE when it was in the $6 to $7 range. My first cash secured put netted me $6 and first covered call $4, and I was thrilled! Maybe something to consider to bridge the gap between paper trading and the large amounts of capital involved with TSLA trades.

I have a feb 19th 1010 call that I sold at the inclusion "spike" around 650 not expecting the stock to jump another $200. I can buy it back now for a $600 loss. I expect Monday to be green. Is the time decay more of an impact on the option value than the stock going green next week? I'm still new at this and learning one call at a time. Should I just roll it out and up at this point for a "profit" or is it silly to do that in one swoop? Buy the call back on a day like today and and then sell a rolled out and up on the buying frenzy the day before earnings.

thoughts?

I truly appreciate the help and look forward to eventually offering the knowledge to other n00bs. :)

I have a feb 19th 1010 call that I sold at the inclusion "spike" around 650 not expecting the stock to jump another $200. I can buy it back now for a $600 loss. I expect Monday to be green. Is the time decay more of an impact on the option value than the stock going green next week? I'm still new at this and learning one call at a time. Should I just roll it out and up at this point for a "profit" or is it silly to do that in one swoop? Buy the call back on a day like today and and then sell a rolled out and up on the buying frenzy the day before earnings.

thoughts?

I truly appreciate the help and look forward to eventually offering the knowledge to other n00bs. :)

Not advice of course, but thoughts! Definitely thoughts.

First observation is that rolling now for a net credit is not a profit - that is cash flow. The but-to-close (BTC) leg of the roll will show that $6 loss you mentioned, while the sell-to-open (STO) leg will be enough higher than the BTC to yield the net credit / "profit" that you mentioned. Hopefully you also would increase the strike. The longer duration will increase the likelihood of finishing ITM while the higher strike will decrease the likelihood of finishing ITM. The balance between the two is unknown.

If you haven't yet watched the 3rd set of option alpha videos, I commend those to you as soon as possible. They will talk about rolling positions (among other things) in order to extend them and provide more time for the shares to regress (i.e. - option going OTM).

I don't know what you should do, but I do know what I'm doing with a similar position. I have the same expiration covered call at the 900 strike. That's a .40 delta with $1.16 in theta. I sort of expect it to be ITM near expiration, but I have reasonable hypothesis for why ITM and why OTM at expiration. I don't want assignment - there will be tax consequences.

My option is trading around $42 and is OTM so it's got a lot of time value to decay. I opened the position at $10, so I'll have a big loss if I closed today.

My current plan is to do nothing and let time go by.

One reason is that the shares will be up, and the shares will be down, between now and then. I don't know the balance - more up than down, or more down than up. Nor do I know by how much. And I never know those things. I know that my history of predicting short term price moves - direction, magnitude, timing - is bad. I try hard to avoid decisions that are dependent on these things (for time periods under ~2 months).

What I do know is that if I roll now then I'll be buying out $42 in time value. I prefer waiting for much lower time value before rolling.

Being just a few trading days from earnings, I also know I would be closing at relatively high IV - I expect to see lower IV after earnings. I think of this as the uncertainty about earnings details increasing IV and option premiums going into earnings, with the resolution of the uncertainty lowering IV and option premiums after earnings.

A significant component of my "do nothing" plan is that I know from recent experience rolling a deep ITM call the last few weeks that I can easily keep the position alive even if the shares reach $1000 near expiration. When I say "alive" I mean that I can roll that position to a later expiration at a higher strike for a net credit. That net credit isn't a profit, but it is cash flow. As long as I'm increasing the strike with each roll for a net credit, then eventually 1 of 2 things will happen:
- the position is resolved by taking assignment at whatever higher strike I've rolled to (keeping all of the net credits along the way, but now those credits are converted from cash flow to realized gains).
- the position is resolved in the form of the option going OTM close enough to expiration that I can BTC for a net profit over the complete life of the position and all of its rolls

Resolution might take months of rolls every 1-4 weeks to arrive (but hopefully not :D).

And most importantly, do nothing lets time decay work away at that $42 time value I'm looking at, with it eventually going to $0.

Expiration day and I had 2 covered puts expiring today that I've closed. Due to earnings next week, I haven't opened replacement positions yet - I am waiting for earnings day to sell those new options under the hypothesis that I can catch a relatively high IV and high premium.

Without earnings next week, I would be opening .35 delta puts today for Feb 5. These would be the put leg of the strangle I like to be in.

I'm pretty sure I managed to catch just about the worst possible time to close - that's pretty typical for me :)

And I totally don't care - I try hard to avoid decisions where direction, magnitude, timing of the shares are critical to the decision. I know I'm bad at it, and I'm not looking for individually optimized trades - I'm looking for a more systematic approach that I can repeat all year (global optimization vs. local optimization).

The 835 put was closed at $6, leaving a roughly 75% profit. Closing yesterday would have been noticeably better ($3 or so?). Heck - the shares have moved from being ITM to $2 OTM since I closed, and are around $3.50 right now; about an hour later.

I totally don't care about catching the worst close moment - I earned 75% on the position, or 2.2% in 8 days, where I calculate the capital involved assuming these were fully cash secured puts (they weren't but I'm conservative about stuff like this). And as far as I knew, we could have traded down another $7 instead of up $7 and I'd be giving up even more of the earnings

The 765 put was closed at $0.24 leaving a roughly 97% profit, or 0.9% profit over the same 8 days (again assumes the puts were fully cash secured; they weren't).

How much margin do you need to do this kind of trading...

As much or as little capital as you have, really. I mean, for TSLA its probably good to have a couple ten-thousand, but that's mostly because the underlying price is high, and generally its a bad idea to put a significant amount of your available capital into any one position.

Also, I'm admittedly a little flippant with my generally interchanged use of "capital" and "margin" and should really try to do better, especially because there's a few different ways to interpret both. In context I think your question is referring to leverage (= the amount of 'extra' capital a brokerage gives you to trade with, beyond your account balance) and for any of these trades you don't need to need to dip into that leverage. In fact I'd strongly recommend not using leverage in any trade if you're just starting to climb the learning curve.

Reactions: adiggs
As much or as little capital as you have, really. I mean, for TSLA its probably good to have a couple ten-thousand, but that's mostly because the underlying price is high, and generally its a bad idea to put a significant amount of your available capital into any one position.

Also, I'm admittedly a little flippant with my generally interchanged use of "capital" and "margin" and should really try to do better, especially because there's a few different ways to interpret both. In context I think your question is referring to leverage (= the amount of 'extra' capital a brokerage gives you to trade with, beyond your account balance) and for any of these trades you don't need to need to dip into that leverage. In fact I'd strongly recommend not using leverage in any trade if you're just starting to climb the learning curve.

So, with 80K capital in my account, I can hold 100 shares, sell 1 call and a put. not more than that. Is that typical?

So, with 80K capital in my account, I can hold 100 shares, sell 1 call and a put. not more than that. Is that typical?

With my focus on using little margin, yes - that sounds typical. It also sounds like pretty aggressive use of margin. My math here - if the shares where $800, then that is $80k to buy the shares.

A .35 delta put is probably going to be in the neighborhood of the 750 strike (2 weeks to expiration - these are the trade setups I've been doing recently). Fully cash secured that is another 75k. Thus 0 margin would need 150k in the account to support the position.

With 80k that sounds like 0 margin loan but 75k worth of margin being used. That's about 50% margin / 50% value. If the shares start trading down the margin requirement for the 750 put will be going up and you won't be far from a margin call.

My math around the actual margin could be pretty far off, but the consequences of the shares going against you are still directionally accurate. In fact it probably is as the put/call strangle will provide offsetting changes that lower the margin requirements for some reasonably close area around the share price ($20 to each side?). As the shares keep going in that direction though, the margin requirements will be growing more quickly.

Fundamentally, theta/time decay is easily the weakest of the common influences on any contract, and certainly at your "far" expiration in 4 weeks, this weekend's theta is going to be pretty minimal. If you think stock will be up on Monday, that will likely come with a corollary increase in volatility, so the contract value will increase (unfavorably to you) because of both ∆ and volatility. So in that respect, again if you think underlying will be up on Monday, closing out the position isn't a terrible choice.

On the flip side, its possible we're ~close to a local high in volatility, so its possible the contract value has a lot of value to burn off in the coming weeks. Its easy to imagine volatility going up next week because of earnings, and its easy to imagine that the follwing days/week may also carry that elevated volatility, but its also easy to imagine that after any earnings hubaloo fizzles out that volatility will start to come back down. That's good for you, if you can hold out for that long and if you believe that analysis is accurate.

And, on that same flip side, honestly its hard for me to imagine underlying blowing past 1010 through earnings and even a post earnings rally, so IMHO 1010 isn't exactly high risk, so I'd probably let it ride through earnings and see where it lands. These are the choices we all have to make when selling options...

I started out trying these options strategies on a low priced stock for lower risk before jumping into the "big leagues" of TSLA. I traded GE when it was in the $6 to $7 range. My first cash secured put netted me $6 and first covered call $4, and I was thrilled! Maybe something to consider to bridge the gap between paper trading and the large amounts of capital involved with TSLA trades.

Definitely a good idea to get my feet wet. I've been looking into some lower cost stocks just to get some real trading in, but nothing that will kill me.

Definitely a good idea to get my feet wet. I've been looking into some lower cost stocks just to get some real trading in, but nothing that will kill me.
I’ve been trying to do some wheel strategies with SPWR. It’s in a long upswing, just like TSLA has been, so probably a good surrogate, but at a lower price. I like the renewable industry, so I’m not looking out of this industry. I haven’t published my results yet because I just bought 100 shares and turned right around and sold a CC at a strike just a few dollars above the current SP (which means they will probably be called away). I also sold a couple puts, way OTM, so just picking up $1-$2 per share, as they probably won’t get put to me. This is just to give me some real experience at a lower cost. As always, advice that’s not advice.;)

Reactions: Jkaufm32 and adiggs
I’ve been trying to do some wheel strategies with SPWR. It’s in a long upswing, just like TSLA has been, so probably a good surrogate, but at a lower price. I like the renewable industry, so I’m not looking out of this industry. I haven’t published my results yet because I just bought 100 shares and turned right around and sold a CC at a strike just a few dollars above the current SP (which means they will probably be called away). I also sold a couple puts, way OTM, so just picking up $1-$2 per share, as they probably won’t get put to me. This is just to give me some real experience at a lower cost. As always, advice that’s not advice.;)
circling back on this, I rolled up and out for a small profit. Thanks @adiggs starting this thread and all the contributors for helping teach me these techniques. This is definitely my practice stock, while trying to “mostly” hold TSLA. Last week, I bought 100 shr at $42.85 and immediately sold the 1/29 $45c for $2.00 (Not a great trade, but wanted to do the rolling part this week). With my extra cash, I also sold six $32p 2/05 for $1.05, that are ~$0.20 now and I’ll just let expire worthless next week.

So, for today my first official roll forward for a small credit.:)
BTC of SPWR 01/29/2021 C $45.00 executed at $3.48 ($1.48 debit).
STO of SPWR 02/12/2021 C $50.00 executed at $4.00 ($0.52 credit).