Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way too soon to say that we're in a new trading range, but this is starting to look like that 5 year trading window where we got steadily better news and steadily improving financials with no movement in the share price.

After the huge run last year, a full year for digesting and establishing a new trading floor doesn't sound unreasonable to me at all. Then some help from the MM short sellers (share manufacturers), another year or two of holding the share price down, we could be in this vicinity for a long time to come.

Especially if Tesla if effective at deploying any profits into new infrastructure, that in turns yields higher volumes and revenue, to in turn be deployed into new infrastructure, etc.. This will keep the financial metrics based investors off balance and thinking that the company is struggling, when it is actually thriving.

That terrifies me. I sold about 350 shares and converted them to options when we dip after the big run. The calls are down a good bit, the Jun 700s I have are down 20k and the January 1000 40k 😢 . The Jun 700s have to go soon because I don't want them to become a total lost. Only a few contracts are making a little money, Jun 22 600s and March 23 550s but I am getting nervous I don't cover the lost of the others. I been trying to make money back by selling calls but the premiums are terrible and the strikes that pay decently are too risky for my comfort. I sold a few put credit spreads for Friday but a few grand doesn't seem to help that much.

That terrifies me. I sold about 350 shares and converted them to options when we dip after the big run. The calls are down a good bit, the Jun 700s I have are down 20k and the January 1000 40k 😢 . The Jun 700s have to go soon because I don't want them to become a total lost. Only a few contracts are making a little money, Jun 22 600s and March 23 550s but I am getting nervous I don't cover the lost of the others. I been trying to make money back by selling calls but the premiums are terrible and the strikes that pay decently are too risky for my comfort. I sold a few put credit spreads for Friday but a few grand doesn't seem to help that much.
I have plenty of OTM LEAP spreads, mostly Jan'22 to Jan'23. I just have to look at the Q2 forecasts and what's coming later this year for Tesla and any worry about those disappears. I do have a few Jun18 770/840 spreads that I am concerned about, so will look to roll those out to at least Jan'22. I may do the same with some Sept spreads but still plenty of time for it to pop back up before then.

For this week I sold 4x680P-. Still confident they will end OTM or at least with a decent profit. I'll hold off any CC until I can see better where this is going to land and sell some close OTM on a pop for Friday.

Reactions: Yoona
Anyone got a good rule of thumb/tricks for having enough cash to buy to close positions to roll for those of us that fly too close to the sun? Realizing by upping my share count to round 100, I've depleted cash reserve
@Lycanthrope explained the roll one at a time trick. Also having a CSP helps. If the CCs go up, the CSPs go down. I feel better when selling both with strikes about $50-$100 apart, ideally 1:1 ratio but I’m closer to 2:1 calls:puts. I now leave all the premium as cash until it’s obvious the CCs are OTM. My biggest problem is shares spread across multiple accounts, each with it’s own nuisance issue (past mistakes). The smallest account has the least flexibility, only selling way OTM CCs, no puts and usually trades last after the SP has declared itself. The middle account has some June 800p that I can’t buyback yet, so I’m selling fairly aggressive weekly CCs, hoping to collect enough premium by June. Keeping more cash in that one, but able to buy a few shares here and there. About 1:1 ratio c/p in that one, but not helping the weekly trades. The biggest account is nearly 1:1 c/p balanced, has a nice cash buffer, recently added another 100shr, and is making the most premiums. This is really the way to be more relaxed. I don’t have enough cash for a $100/day or $300/wk SP jump, but that’s what I need to work on.

@Lycanthrope explained the roll one at a time trick. Also having a CSP helps. If the CCs go up, the CSPs go down. I feel better when selling both with strikes about $50-$100 apart, ideally 1:1 ratio but I’m closer to 2:1 calls:puts. I now leave all the premium as cash until it’s obvious the CCs are OTM. My biggest problem is shares spread across multiple accounts, each with it’s own nuisance issue (past mistakes). The smallest account has the least flexibility, only selling way OTM CCs, no puts and usually trades last after the SP has declared itself. The middle account has some June 800p that I can’t buyback yet, so I’m selling fairly aggressive weekly CCs, hoping to collect enough premium by June. Keeping more cash in that one, but able to buy a few shares here and there. About 1:1 ratio c/p in that one, but not helping the weekly trades. The biggest account is nearly 1:1 c/p balanced, has a nice cash buffer, recently added another 100shr, and is making the most premiums. This is really the way to be more relaxed. I don’t have enough cash for a $100/day or $300/wk SP jump, but that’s what I need to work on.
Ok so this is helpful, so the cash to roll seems like another good reason to have cash secured puts in same account… since a $100 day rise or $300/week rise you simply could buy to close the csp and roll the calls right?

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Just
In my experience, buying weekly calls - unless in an unusual situation like the split/S&P run up - is lost money, LEAPS, if bought at the right time, tend to wok out OK, monthlies just keep me awake at night...

All things being equal, do you guys use max pain more to pick the likely price at expiration on Friday? Or max pain plus the adjacent call wall? In determining strike, etc. if you are trying to get closest to the pin so to speak?

Update on my positions...
  • Closed 750cc 05/07 at 70% gains on Monday [couldn't resist 70% gain over the weekend];
  • Bought 2 more 850c 03/2023 leaps (3 away from target number) on Tuesday;
  • Had to roll 1100cc 06/2023 down to 1000c 06/2023 to settle a margin call on Wednesday; I am opting to roll that position rather than sell recently purchased leaps to settle any margin calls;
  • Sold 705cc 05/07 this morning, Thursday, at $2.1/contract [at time of writing this post, could clip 50% gain]; I intend to close this position if it hits 80% gain on the day, otherwise we'll see what tomorrow brings;
I'm looking forward to my brokerage following suit with IBKR and eTrade and going back to a 30-40% margin requirement on TSLA.

Game plan if/when that happens is to complete my purchases of leaps and then slowly unwind the 1000c 06/2023 by paying debits from the cash raised to bring that back to a more near term covered call position. For instance, if I was willing (or if maintenance excess allowed it) to pay back all the cash in debits, I could roll the 1000c 06/2023 down to a 900c 12/2021 at today's prices.

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000
All things being equal, do you guys use max pain more to pick the likely price at expiration on Friday? Or max pain plus the adjacent call wall? In determining strike, etc. if you are trying to get closest to the pin so to speak?

I generally look at max pain, and then the call wall(s) to see what hurdle there might be if "big news" comes out. I also try to keep tabs on the main investment thread for any news that hasn't hit mainstream, but that's been harder with work, since the "signal to noise" ratio of that thread can sometimes be quite low.

Newbie question... Does anyone know the risk of buying a Bull Put Spread on a Thursday?

For example, a BPS +p630/-p640 right now is $88 per contract. If i sell 10 contracts (because i want $880) and it puts me in a margin call situation, does it matter since the contracts will expire tomorrow and i'll never get the margin call anyways?

Not doing it, but just curious what is the risk of deliberately putting oneself in margin on a Thursday for a spread. Assume closing tomorrow is 680. Assume I have 4 days to settle a margin call.

Thanks in advance!

I executed what amounts to a roll via separate BTC / STO call orders, moving 720c expiring tomorrow to 710c expiring on 5/14. Around a $5 net credit - in this case I would have been better with a market roll transaction yesterday - would have gotten me that $5 net credit along with a 725 strike price.

I'm feeling comfortable with the 710 strike nonetheless - 710 is the other side of 700 and those strikes that are multiples of 50 are frequently walls in the max pain view of the world.

Actually I wouldn't mind a jump that pushed these calls ITM - the puts are again getting deeper ITM than I would like. With a 6 trading days to go to expiration time value is down under $1. I'll be doing the math more carefully, but I'm thinking that its time to roll these for time (primarily) and a strike improvement. I'd guess right now that will be more like a 4 week roll than a 2 week roll. I'll post about this when I do it, along with the different positions that I consider.

EDIT: to add; the two deep ITM puts (760 and 750 strike for next week) each still have ~$2 worth of time value. That's enough to continue waiting to roll, at least for today.

Worth noting about max pain - don't just look at the number or the spikes in the open interest - also look at the number of contracts in the spikes. For weeklies I find this information useless until the week of expiration and sometimes even Wednesday of expiration. The key is the number of contracts - when the spikes are small enough (as next week's "walls" are right now), they just don't have enough effect on anything to worry about.

I executed what amounts to a roll via separate BTC / STO call orders, moving 720c expiring tomorrow to 710c expiring on 5/14. Around a $5 net credit - in this case I would have been better with a market roll transaction yesterday - would have gotten me that $5 net credit along with a 725 strike price.

I'm feeling comfortable with the 710 strike nonetheless - 710 is the other side of 700 and those strikes that are multiples of 50 are frequently walls in the max pain view of the world.

Actually I wouldn't mind a jump that pushed these calls ITM - the puts are again getting deeper ITM than I would like. With a 6 trading days to go to expiration time value is down under $1. I'll be doing the math more carefully, but I'm thinking that its time to roll these for time (primarily) and a strike improvement. I'd guess right now that will be more like a 4 week roll than a 2 week roll. I'll post about this when I do it, along with the different positions that I consider.

EDIT: to add; the two deep ITM puts (760 and 750 strike for next week) each still have ~$2 worth of time value. That's enough to continue waiting to roll, at least for today.

Worth noting about max pain - don't just look at the number or the spikes in the open interest - also look at the number of contracts in the spikes. For weeklies I find this information useless until the week of expiration and sometimes even Wednesday of expiration. The key is the number of contracts - when the spikes are small enough (as next week's "walls" are right now), they just don't have enough effect on anything to worry about.
I was using max pain .com but I don't see how to separate out weeklies from monthlies, etc... I assume it's just by expiration?

I added this aspect of p/e influencing SP upwards on a different reply.
Thought adding the point of p/e to this message also is relevant.

Re-stating, for the SP to continue sideways for a few years like in the past, the finances of the company must keep the p/e pretty much at current levels (~672 as of this writing) or within 60% of this level (say ~400) if the multiples across the growth stocks are cut down due to market conditions. Isn't that very unlikely?
I agree that adding the p/e influence on the SP is a meaningful driver of the share price. Specifically because it is a metric that the financial metrics focused investors care deeply about.

My own thoughts - first off, I hope that Tesla continues to find a way to keep the GAAP EPS down. That'll be by spending money like crazy (R&D, building business infrastructure) in order to keep pushing depreciation up. In particular I would like to see negative quarterly cash flow on a consistent basis - at least for a year or two in amounts of ~$1B per quarter. Several impacts I see from this - it'll keep the PE low by keeping GAAP earnings low(er). Lower PE and the company building infrastructure for future growth will continue to fool investors that don't understand the bigger vision, markets, and products thereby keeping the share price lower for us to buy :D

Directly regarding PE - I see Tesla as being in an interesting (at least to me) transition phase, as we go from consistent losses to consistent profits. As long as we were losing money, there was no PE to calculate. That kept things all up in the air - what is the company really worth? And we can all choose our own conversions from possibility to reality.

We're transition now into profits, and this awkward period is that we're seeing small profits against a very high share price. So PE right now is ridiculous and leads to analysis closer to the money losing analysis. You mention quarterly earnings of $0.80 PE and projecting that into the next year. I consider a longer run PE of 100 to be more likely, or at least a better expectation so I am more likely to be surprised than not.

But we're too new to quarterly earnings for a PE of 100 - it SHOULD be a lot higher, especially with the 50% units guidance. So different share prices I get to, using the 100, 200, 400, and 672 PE and a $3.20 12 month forward PE:
- $320, $640, $1280, and ~$1900.

So a $3.20 forward PE plus a 200 multiple puts us pretty much at today's share price. The multiple is our own, and more importantly new buyers, view of the value of Tesla's growth, strategy, execution, and opportunity. The thing we can watch closely are GAAP earnings (or non-GAAP to the degree we think that new buyers will use the non-GAAP). I see this as aggressive relative to the $3.20 PE, while being comfortable with the 200 PE (to the degree that I do financial analysis, I don't think I would ever be comfortable of a sustained PE > 200).

If we start hitting well above $0.80 per quarter that looks like a good reason for us to at least get support for the current share price, and maybe start pushing it up (all depending on the degree to which a 200 PE draws buyers in to push the shares up closer to the 400 multiple). I am personally not using a multiple or ratio of the current PE as indicative of the future.

My own thoughts - first off, I hope that Tesla continues to find a way to keep the GAAP EPS down. That'll be by spending money like crazy (R&D, building business infrastructure) in order to keep pushing depreciation up. In particular I would like to see negative quarterly cash flow on a consistent basis - at least for a year or two in amounts of ~$1B per quarter. Several impacts I see from this - it'll keep the PE low by keeping GAAP earnings low(er). Lower PE and the company building infrastructure for future growth will continue to fool investors that don't understand the bigger vision, markets, and products thereby keeping the share price lower for us to buy :D

I too think this year will be a consolidation period for the stock price. But how much of that is being priced in the options market? IV seems to continue to drop and options at strike prices that are 5% away are no longer returning any significant credit. In order to net the desired amount of income, have you been selling your options closer to the stock price?

I too think this year will be a consolidation period for the stock price. But how much of that is being priced in the options market? IV seems to continue to drop and options at strike prices that are 5% away are no longer returning any significant credit. In order to net the desired amount of income, have you been selling your options closer to the stock price?

I haven't open any calls recently people the premiums are awful and you have to be really aggressive with the strikes to make decent money. I might have to adjust the way I sell calls because it is not working out for me. I been selling weekly credit put spread when we get IV spikes but I don't like to over do it because they can be risky and I am using some margin.

Here is Yashu on the SP action:

Reactions: buttershrimp
Calculating how many spreads to sell on margin

Is this a reasonable calculation for identifying available margin against which we can sell spreads, let's say, Iron Condors? In this, I am looking at weeklies.
  • Current SP * 0.85 (Accounting for 15% potential drop in a week) X 0.33 (Assuming margin requirement at 66% to be on safe side, likely for some here whose portfolio's are heavily concentrated in TSLA)
  • At today's SP $665 for each 100 shares = 100 * 665 * 0.85 * .33 = 18653
  • If one were selling put spreads, say +630P/-650P, with the margin (~18k), can one sell 9 spreads?
@setipoo Do you sell ICs on margin? How do you arrive at the number of ICs to sell?

Is this a reasonable calculation for identifying available margin against which we can sell spreads, let's say, Iron Condors?
  • If one were selling put spreads, say +630P/-650P, with the margin (~18k), can one sell 9 spreads?

Short answer, the margin required for any practical spread is a simple calculation: Spread * 100 * # of contracts. That's it.

If you sell a 630/650 put spread, you need $2k of margin per spread, so 9 spreads is exactly $18k. The reason is that the most you can lose on each spread is $2k ($20 x 100 shares), if you let them go to expiration.

If you sell a two sided position, like an Iron Condor, your margin requirement is the greater of the two sides. So...if you sold an 800/820 call spread along with the 630/650 to create a symmetrical IC, your margin for each IC would still be $2k. But if your call spread was actually 800/840, your margin for each IC would be $4k.

The only way you need more complicated margin math is if you have a REALLY wide spread (which would be very impractical) to the point where margin required for [what could be] the naked contract is less than Spread * 100.

Short answer, the margin required for any practical spread is a simple calculation: Spread * 100 * # of contracts. That's it.

If you sell a 630/650 put spread, you need $2k of margin per spread, so 9 spreads is exactly $18k. The reason is that the most you can lose on each spread is $2k ($20 x 100 shares), if you let them go to expiration.

If you sell a two sided position, like an Iron Condor, your margin requirement is the greater of the two sides. So...if you sold an 800/820 call spread along with the 630/650 to create a symmetrical IC, your margin for each IC would still be $2k. But if your call spread was actually 800/840, your margin for each IC would be $4k.

The only way you need more complicated margin math is if you have a REALLY wide spread (which would be very impractical) to the point where margin required for [what could be] the naked contract is less than Spread * 100.
Thank you, this is helpful. Your posts always give me something to learn :)

That said, I think I should've phrased the question differently, something like, "how to calculate the margin one should use for selling spreads", which gives you the right number of spreads to sell if you are relying purely by margin.

Calculating how many spreads to sell on margin

Is this a reasonable calculation for identifying available margin against which we can sell spreads, let's say, Iron Condors? In this, I am looking at weeklies.
  • Current SP * 0.85 (Accounting for 15% potential drop in a week) X 0.33 (Assuming margin requirement at 66% to be on safe side, likely for some here whose portfolio's are heavily concentrated in TSLA)
  • At today's SP $665 for each 100 shares = 100 * 665 * 0.85 * .33 = 18653
@setipoo Do you sell ICs on margin? How do you arrive at the number of ICs to sell?
Yes, i do. I find that i am successful if I sell IC on Wednesdays. Mon/Tue is used to "feel" what is the Friday close going to be.

After determining the "safe" range, i decide how much I want to earn from the IC because the IC pays for the taxes of the Covered Calls/Spreads/etc. This week i want $20k. (That's $10k i am reserving for IC tax and $10k for the other taxes + cash flow.) I build the legs on thinkorswim and it tells me i need 110+ contracts. Then, i look at my resulting Buying Power to see if I like the room + extra, and will it be good enough to last until Friday. I decided my risk tolerance was 100 contracts.

This week is a mistake. I have no discipline and sold on Mon instead of Wed. This means I didn't get the chance to first see the Mon/Tue falls, so I am 4 days ITM since my Monday range was wrong.

Fridays are always reserved to babysit IC to make sure SP stays inside the range, coz the Maximum Loss is dramatically larger compared to the initial credit.

If the Friday SP close is virtually guaranteed and deep inside the range, I either sell a 2nd IC or a new CC, depending on what is less risk.

*** I am a newbie and this is not advice!***