Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard for me to complain about buy & hold. I wouldn't be where I'm at today without it (original shares with a 5.47 cost basis).

What we've learned and are doing here isn't for everybody. Or as I've been discovering not even for most. My belief is that you need to actually enjoy the process, over and above the education and study, to do this well. It's too much effort to make yourself do this well, day after day; week after week. Especially if you're thinking about this as something to continue doing for years.
Dude, well said! My wife and kids are absolutely amazed by this, my tech friends think I'm crazy (nothing new there but they also can't wrap their heads around it; I can barely and not at all on the BPS stuff to be perfectly honest) and my other trading friends are just now getting into TSLA from SPY and SPX.

Meanwhile, waiting for a last minute SP rise in order to put in my last STO 9/10 10x $730.

I BTC 40x $720 to $740 today for an average profit of ~60%. Many of these were negative yesterday :eek: Thanks again to folks on this thread for helping me through rough waters.

Next week I think we'll hit MaxPain and stay below $735 by 9/10.

9/17 exp week is going to epic I think. Based on how next week goes, I might be STO at least 30x $710 to stay behind the huge call wall at $700.

Anyone in the US have a Roth that allows them to sell covered calls against long calls (have to be ITM?)? My broker has initially responded that I can’t do it in my Roth.
as you know the difference between a Roth IRA and a Traditional IRA is the Roth is after tax dollars contributions. Seems to me if anything they should be even more permissible than a traditional IRA for that matter.
Did he say that it is permissible in a traditional IRA?

Ok, so others may know this, but I'm surprised as I want to get my break even point at or slightly above $735 for 9/10.

I'm wanting to STO 10x and if I choose $730 strike my break even is ~$737 and premium is about $7k.

But if I choose $720 break even is $736 and premium is $16k?

And better yet is $715 with break even is $735 and premium is $20k.

I don't think I'd get assigned even at $715 strike on 9/10 if SP was $735. or at least that is what I'm telling myself as I hover of the execute button.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Ok, so others may know this, but I'm surprised as I want to get my break even point at or slightly above $735 for 9/10.

I'm wanting to STO 10x and if I choose $730 strike my break even is ~$737 and premium is about $7k.

I don't think I'd get assigned even at $715 strike on 9/10 if SP was $735. or at least that is what I'm telling myself as I hover of the execute button.
You're talking about selling calls right?
Why would you not be assigned with a $715 strike if the SP is @ $735? That's $20 ITM. The premium paid is irrelevant.

Side note and a little on topic....
I hate waiting for a fill.... placed my IC order just below mid point of the bid/ask and waiting for it to fill feels like eternity!

Changed up my spread to wider wings and wider body

09/17
-$650 / +$630
-$785 / $805

Credit $2.10 per contract

Are you planning on tightening the range between the wings as the expiration nears?

I'm debating something like what you have done, but also considering just opening an IC for 9/10 expiration and then repeating again for the 9/17 expiration.

Decisions decisions.

Adding on to what @AquaY just said - you will be assigned if the contracts are even $1 ITM.
Premium paid plus share cost is for you only.
So you are "technically selling them at $715 but receiving $736 in total compensation.

Reactions: AquaY
Are you planning on tightening the range between the wings as the expiration nears?

I'm debating something like what you have done, but also considering just opening an IC for 9/10 expiration and then repeating again for the 9/17 expiration.

Decisions decisions.
I am not, I will be closing out whichever side is 80% profit (if it happens next week) and reselling that side when conditions improve.
Or just keeping the left over side and start a new position.
Typically don't like to mess with a position too much, just close it out if profit is above 80% and look for the next opportunity.

Adding on to what @AquaY just said - you will be assigned if the contracts are even $1 ITM.
Premium paid plus share cost is for you only.
So you are "technically selling them at $715 but receiving $736 in total compensation.
Yeah, you are both right, my bad. See, that's why I type stuff out, cuz it ain't all unicorns and rainbows...

I meant that I wouldn't get assigned, hopefully, before rolling to next week.