Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my very first option today. Something cheap, fully expecting to lose most of it as a form of tuition to the school of experience.

Based the selection on a Monte Carlo simulation of possible options values given historical drift and volatility. I tried both volatility over the last 5 years, as well as volatility over the last 30 days, and I'm kinda shocked how volatile TSLA still is, despite having calmed down a bit.

For 5 years, I'm getting a daily μ of 0.0016 and a σ of 0.0373, and getting simulated underlying stock values after 5 weeks of trading like:

Min. 1st Qu. Median Mean 3rd Qu. Max.
334.9 695.0 771.0 780.0 855.7 1436.2

And for 30 days, I'm getting a daily μ of 0.0050 and a σ of 0.020, and getting simulated underlying stock values after 5 weeks like:

Min. 1st Qu. Median Mean 3rd Qu. Max.
575.7 778.8 823.0 825.6 869.3 1149.0

Is anyone else attempting similar simulations? And if so, how are your parameters coming out? I know TSLA is in a period of relative calm right now, but honestly I would be scared to sell a covered call expiring 5 weeks out for any strikes less than 850 knowing that it going ITM is just outside of the 75th percentile of possibilities!
I think most people here are selling weeklies to avoid such a situation, plus there are lots of catalysts for movement like P&D and ER that have to be considered. Also I think rather than monte carlo simulations many people use delta as a shorthand for % chance ITM to guide their strategies.

All of the calls I sold Wednesday for next week have closed now. Will wait for Monday’s pump in the morning to look at reselling them.

doubt any of my puts will close today unless we get some movement above 760.

Weekly theta gains 1.17%

I wasn’t sure I was going to hit my target with the new taking profits at 50% rule I switched to this week.

Reactions: Tslynk67
Many think that FSD 10 if it's a great success this weekend will quickly translate to a rally next week and I'm thinking no matter how good it is it won't matter much at all.
FSD is not an obvious positive indicator like sales or revenue numbers.\
FSD is a complicated option and a successful Beta launch will take time for people to accept. IMO

The media will down play it .
Some by design others by apathy. FUD of course will counter any positive article with more stories abut Teslas crashing into police vehicles and the like.
I read an article the other day titled " Tesla crashes into house killing 2 people"

Reading the article it stated in around the third paragraph that the car was NOT on autopilot.
Yet the headline says Tesla crashes into house killing 2.
Has there ever been an article titled " Ford crashes into a house killing 2" or Chevy, BMW, Honda etc?
Never. But since it's a Tesla it makes the headline and most won't even bother with reading that it was being manually driven like any other car.

This is the actual headline on yahoo about the same story

Airborne Tesla smashes into Florida house killing two people​

My feeling is that no matter how good FSD10 is it will be buried in the short run.
Just my thoughts on it. I could be wrong
Mostly agree. But there's also this guy who bought 500k shares this week and will keep buying into next.

His motivation was ARK's 4x prediction and Elon's agreement, not FSD. I think half of that 4x comes from FSD though in Elon's mind.
Anyway, Beta 10 having an immediate impact is kinda unlikely. Sentiment changing and a few of these Leos jumping in, possible.

• Funny
Reactions: AquaY
sp is moving towards 50 SMA ?

1631287083642.png

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

I stupidly panic-bought to close my 8x 745 strike CC's yesterday at a loss...sold a few tsla shares to do so.

I should've just rolled them out, a hard lesson learned!

STO 4x 9/10 760 strike, $2.90...here goes nothin'!

added on Wednesday with a STO 4x 9/10CC 760 strike, $4.00. Also STO 5x 9/17CC 780 strike for $5.40.
Thank you to everyone here for all your contributions. I'm slooooooooooowly learning the ropes.

Why are you going so OTM for next week on the BPS? Just wondering. Thanks
For any of my Iron Condors - I like to be really wide from the strike - I opened these last week when we were $25 lower.
The call side is $785/$805

For the week of 09/24 I have $820/$840 and paired with $695/$675

Let's me sleep better at night.

This week, I decided to have balls of @Lycanthrope and hold until Friday. ……..I was really looking forward to rolling those c755s (just because it would finally mean closing the week over 750)……..I’m starting to actually wait for these daily drops.
Ok, felt like the 754-755 was the floor and the MMs had the SP exactly where they wanted it. Closed out c755s @ $2.8-$3.2, c760s @ $1, and c770s for pennies. Decent profits (70-90%) this week. Finally realized that I’m not comfortable watching the ticker on Friday with sold ATM calls. Really like the higher premiums, but not the Friday stress, so I’ll target higher from now on. On the anti-wheel side, I BOUGHT 10x 9/17 +c780s @ $3.40, hopefully to sell Monday for 100% profit (probably wasted those OPM $$$, but we shall see).

Question. I rolled a 750 to a 760 next week for a $4.20 profit [yay]. I'm playing this one close as I'm ok with it going through the wheel.

That said, would it usually be profitable to close it near end of day today and then reopen on a possible/probably spike Monday morning? Or does the time decay make that much of a difference? Thank you!

Reactions: Tslynk67
Question. I rolled a 750 to a 760 next week for a $4.20 profit [yay]. I'm playing this one close as I'm ok with it going through the wheel.

That said, would it usually be profitable to close it near end of day today and then reopen on a possible/probably spike Monday morning? Or does the time decay make that much of a difference? Thank you!
calculate around 2x theta for time decay over weekend & what a 5$-opening-spike (~delta*5) would do and what is more profitable.. :)

that is only a rough back-on-the-envelope calculaton, but could help point in a direction.

calculate around 2x theta for time decay over weekend & what a 5$-opening-spike (~delta*5) would do and what is more profitable.. :)

that is only a rough back-on-the-envelope calculaton, but could help point in a direction.
Thank you! Is there a website to help with such things?

The fact that I didn't go through all the lessons suggested on the first page of this thread might be showing. lol

Finally realized that I’m not comfortable watching the ticker on Friday with sold ATM calls. Really like the higher premiums, but not the Friday stress, so I’ll target higher from now on.

Yeah, except when I sold a c760-860 spread last Friday, I wasn’t thinking it was ATM. Oops. I closed this morning for a small profit; would have been $1 better later in the day but my other options did fine and I wanted that off my plate.

My put spreads rolled to 9/17 (a range topping out from $700-$730) better than expected this morning. Like everything $1 higher than expected. Between that and my poor predictive powers, I’m not selling any calls today. We‘ll see what Monday holds.

Why are Puts trading at such high premiums for next Friday?
Every indicator to me seems bullish yet Put credits are at high premiums.
710s for 9/17 Bid Ask 7.00- 7.20
That just seems too high.
what am I missing?
I mentioned a little bit upthread that IV spiked up to between 74 and 84 on the puts for next week - but the calls are still in the IV 28 area.
Really weird and I don't know why but it just be like that.