Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appropriate Per kWh in Toronto to input in the App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to populate the appropriate settings in the Tesla App to track my average cost / gas savings / charge stats, etc.

Based on what I have found on-line, it looks like the average off-peak kWh cost in Toronto (North York) is $.08, but I recall reading some posts on this forum that it doesn't represent the "true" cost we pay for electricity off-peak because there are delivery costs and other additional fees.

Does anyone know or have any thoughts of what might be a realistic / appropriate cost per kWh (for someone in my area) to enter into the app to get a more accurate (reasonably accurate) measure of gas savings / charging costs?

Thx in advance.

Take anything on your bill that isn't a fixed fee, plug it into excel and average it out to get your true cost. I nominally pay 6.8c/kwh here in Alberta but once you add in all the variable fees, my actual cost is around 15c/kwh. It can be +/- 0.5c , but generally all the variable fees scale perfectly with usage, so it seems largely pointless to separate them out.

I would expect transmission costs to be fixed 24/7, so you should still be able to work it out if you have a separate off peak rate.

I'm home most of the day and don't use over 600kWh per month, so it was cheaper for me to switch to tiered. I made a spreadsheet for this. Based on January 2022 prices in Scarborough, the first tier, at $0.098 per kWh, actually costs $0.1154. The second tier, at $0.115 per kWh, actually costs $0.13156. This doesn't include any fixed monthly costs, which you pay no matter how much you use.

The information to do the full calculation can be found here:

I could provide you with my spreadsheet, if you like. It wouldn't be hard to change it for Time of Use billing