Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apps and logging, 3rd party software. Any reviews for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GregRF

Squirrel Power
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2014
CA
Anyone using any of the 3rd party apps for logging and controls of their model 3s?

I've seen some mention of software like TeslaFi and Dashboard for Tesla, but not too many accounts in relation to the model 3. Please post any experiences you have had.

I'd like a web service that I can log into that shows stats on EVERYTHING. I'd like a map that shows the traces of every path I've taken. Graphs that show every parameter for every trip (power output, SOC, speed, etc.). Literally every piece of data that can be collected.

For the cyclists among us...something like Strava except for your Tesla.

Looks like 143 Model 3's on TeslaFi if I added them up correctly from the updates page. You wouldn't be alone. As far as I know, all the easy solutions offer what's available in Tesla's API. Probably most of what you'd want, but not everything. You can get more info with one of the CAN bus loggers, but that involves adding some hardware to communicate the CAN data to the logger.

I'd go ahead and try TeslaFi (TeslaLog was a similar service I think). It does map trips (with one minute intervals, so my trip to the mailbox and back shows me driving through my neighbors yards). It offers the basic controls (like the Tesla app), but with some scheduling ability. I like the trip and charging data. They aren't expensive, and the first 14 days of TeslaFi at least are free, so if you don't like it you aren't out anything. That's the best way to find out which one's for you.

• Informative
Reactions: GregRF
I was using TezLab but I'm pretty sure it was contributing to my excess phantom drain at the time. I saw something about them updating it soon to add additional "sleep" settings. But in their FAQ, they mention that when they detect your phone moving, they ping your car to check its state (driving or sleeping). If its driving, then the app starts a "trip" in the app that it later logs the data to.

So my thought was that if I'm carrying my phone with me and I'm walking around at work, it seems like it would be pinging the car an awful lot. I believe this is true because while I was using the app, I noticed my car was rarely "sleeping" (when I open the Tesla app, I rarely saw the "Waking Up.." at the bottom).

I've heard that TeslaFi is better in this respect. They seem to have some kind of sleep settings you can use.. maybe to block off certain parts of the day so it doesnt bother pinging the car. In any case, I decided I'm happy just seeing the "Last Trip" data on the screen. I dont need to log all that crap at the expense of 15+ miles of drain per day.

• Informative
I like the idea behind these apps but there is no way I'm trusting one with my token. If they get hacked, which is very possible there is no way to disable a token. If someone gets that token they can do all kinds of things to my car and there is nothing I can really do. It's just a matter of time before something like this happens and Tesla will be forced to revoke all tokens...

I was using TezLab but I'm pretty sure it was contributing to my excess phantom drain at the time. I saw something about them updating it soon to add additional "sleep" settings. But in their FAQ, they mention that when they detect your phone moving, they ping your car to check its state (driving or sleeping). If its driving, then the app starts a "trip" in the app that it later logs the data to.

So my thought was that if I'm carrying my phone with me and I'm walking around at work, it seems like it would be pinging the car an awful lot. I believe this is true because while I was using the app, I noticed my car was rarely "sleeping" (when I open the Tesla app, I rarely saw the "Waking Up.." at the bottom).

I've heard that TeslaFi is better in this respect. They seem to have some kind of sleep settings you can use.. maybe to block off certain parts of the day so it doesnt bother pinging the car. In any case, I decided I'm happy just seeing the "Last Trip" data on the screen. I dont need to log all that crap at the expense of 15+ miles of drain per day.

I can't find conclusion info on this but I doubt it actually hits the car. More likely the car is updating the Tesla servers when it has new data and the api is just pulling from that. If this is true, hitting it over and over wouldn't hurt the battery unless the tesla servers wake it up for each request which is possible.

Here's the section in their FAQ I was referring to:

Will you control my car?

Not without your request.

We periodically check your car for certain data - the drive state (Park, Drive, Reverse), Battery Reading, and Odometer. Active controls are only done at your request in the app, unlock doors for example.

Location data is from your phone and we never do anything more than looking at what drive state the car is in to figure out how and when to automatically start your trip.
source:FAQ | TezLab

So yeah, I guess they could be checking the state of the car with Tesla and not needing to hit the car. But if that's the case, they should reword their FAQ and maybe include some wording about how the app may or may not affect any drain on the battery or it's sleep state.

That and not handling 2 cars made me give up on Tezlab. Neat idea, and I might even pay for it, if it didn’t wake my car continually and gave realistic data.

Was looking at TeslaFi. There are four versions of Model 3 listed and none look familiar. 210, 210D, 220, 220D...anyone understand this?

Should be 310, 310D, 220, 220D in the drop down list. So 310 for LR, 220 for SR and D for dual. So everything is 310 right now.

If you are going to use TeslaFi be sure to set up the basic sleep function to reduce any vampire drain from the app. You can use my user name for a referral which will extend your free trial from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: oscarfish and Dana1
Should be 310, 310D, 220, 220D in the drop down list. So 310 for LR, 220 for SR and D for dual. So everything is 310 right now.

If you are going to use TeslaFi be sure to set up the basic sleep function to reduce any vampire drain from the app. You can use my user name for a referral which will extend your free trial from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

Thanks Greg for your helpful info decoding the Model 3 versions. Plugged in your code too for a four week trial. Nice.

Yep, I signed up for TeslaFi trial 2 weeks ago, because I was very interested to see the data. I realized my car was not sleeping the first couple days, so I looked into the settings and I hadn't checked the sleep mode options to allow it to sleep. Also, I turned off cabin overheat protection in the display options as that was also preventing it from sleeping, and was experiencing increased vampire drain.

After I fixed those settings, it now sleeps after about 40 minutes of being idle (parked) and vampire drain has been mostly minimal now. I noted my very short drives are generally rather inefficient and my normal commutes to/from work (22 miles each way) are generally quite efficient.

I just signed up for the annual plan for $50 because I want to keep using it. Just wish they had an iPhone app, but the website is very detailed with the driving maps, etc. Feel free to use my referral code (irishndude4) as well. There are now 284 Model 3 Long Ranges being tracked (2nd most of any Tesla vehicle) and there is now 1 Model 3 Dual Motor. Thanks.

Reactions: akidesir