Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apr 18 Software Update Bug affects Cruise Control availability and More

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ProtonopeSJ

Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2023
Saint John NB
Last night I installed the update described in the photo I took of my display on my 2023 YLR which I got innate January. This is my 3rd software update since purchase and almost immediately a bug in the new software surfaced. I set out from my home and put the car into cruise control - so far no problem. Further in my trip I had to disable cruise to make a left turn through a busy intersection. After that I tried to re-engage cruise control and was messaged it was not available. I was offered a link to explain possible reasons but none applied except I guess the one that said I had cancelled it. Cancel the right word? Tried all the other possibilities - such as recessing doors, recessing frunk, etc It turned out that the only way I could get cruise control back was by fully stopping the car and putting back into drive. That means fully stopping, pressing the button on the end of the right stalk. Then putting you foot on the rake and putting the car back into drive. Then you can drive off and re-engage cruise control. This to me is a pretty big nuisance as I quite like using cruise control even driving around on normal city streets. Interestingly engaging Autopilot was also unavailable when Cruise was unavailable. I experimented with the cruise control problem multiple times, finding I repeated lost availability every time after I disengaged it. And every time I could restore its availability by fully stopping and then driving off again up to a suitable speed. To my mind this is clearly a new bug, but if anybody wishes to dispute that then I hope they can explain the merits of this new "feature". While you are at it, look at the description of the update and decipher the google-di-gook numbers and tell me how I can simply designate it.
IMG_4349.jpg

Yep, Autopilot/FSD not available event happens to mine as well usually on city driving and randomly becomes available after some point. Very frustrating and no way to report and hoping it is fixed an another update promised by Elon, who, IMHO, usually is not honest about planned availability and actual release to general public and bug fixes... I have learned to live with this along with other reintroduced bugs.

I increasingly wonder if this is a feature rather than a bug - my thinking is that it strongly inhibits the use of cruise control on city streets ( or Autopilot) where from experience I know you have to be pretty alert to reassert driver control at any time. Maybe Tesla would rather not have the complication of accidents arising from incompetent users while at the same time subtly promoting FSD.

Reactions: AlexHung
I increasingly wonder if this is a feature rather than a bug - my thinking is that it strongly inhibits the use of cruise control on city streets ( or Autopilot) where from experience I know you have to be pretty alert to reassert driver control at any time. Maybe Tesla would rather not have the complication of accidents arising from incompetent users while at the same time subtly promoting FSD.
I did some intercity driving this morning using enhanced autopilot. I encountered situations requiring me to override automatic steering ( poor road markings) and also use of tge brake pedal. In both incidents I was able to re-establish enhanced autopilot smoothly. This seems to strengthen the argument that I am quibbling above about a new feature.

FINALLY - upon the return from my out of town trip - I find that the "bug" that came to seem possibly more like a "feature" now seems to have completely disappeared. I can now put on my brake in town (with the brake pedal) and easily reestablish cruise control without actually stopping the car. Go figure! The car is haunted.

I still get random "Autopilot Unavailable" when trying to re-engage FSD that was previously engaged on a city highway when I manually apply the brake because of a unsafe condition that FSD could not handle as I expected. The Tesla prompts me to report why the FSD disengagement and I do, then when I depress the stock twice to re-engage FSD, the little FSD steering wheel icon, normally blue when FSD engaged, turns briefly brown and then back to disengaged with the "Autopilot Unavailable" message.

This is new behavior in the 2022.45.15 update.

While you are at it, look at the description of the update and decipher the google-di-gook numbers and tell me how I can simply designate it.
The version number shown is 2023.12.1. The v11.1 before the parentheses is the UI version, and the numbers after the 2023.12.1 are an internal identifier that you can ignore. You can also see the version number at the bottom of the main page in the Tesla mobile app.

I, too, suffered this problem as well the other day. This is a new bug. I routinely drive into downtown Providence RI and had never had an issue. The one difference between prior trips and this trip is rather than be 2 streets off the interstate this time I spent miles on inner-city thoroughfares. I concluded my business and use EAP to get back to the interstate southbound. At some point the left pane (routing) froze. I could not clear the pane nor restart AutoSteer. Once out in the burbs I pulled into a gas station and manually rebooted the car. The left pane reset to an overhead of the car at the bottom. I still, despite multiple attempts at speed, failed to re-engage. I returned home parked the car and the following day it was as if nothing had happened. The most difficult software bug to resolve is one you cannot routinely recreate. This is especially true if none of the Tesla developers try.

I'm on 2023.12.5 and this happened to me on my way home from work today. Jumped on the freeway and Autopilot wasn't having any. I noticed the left pane was also not showing any objects besides the car either, although it did indicate when the ultrasonic sensors were reading other cars and it appeared to know where I was in my lane. When I got off and got to the first light I tried putting it in park, but that didn't make a difference. I rebooted when I got to my destination, and when I left there it was working again. Some kind of bug for sure.

I've been having this issue as well since 2023.12.10 (with 11.3.6 FSD beta). I opened a service appointment and after texting back and forth with SC and providing time stamps, they looked at the logs and confirmed it's a software bug to be fixed in a "future" update. My issue happens very randomly, even right after starting to drive the car. It also disables all screen visualizations and turns my headlamps fully "ON" (If i manually turn them off, I loose daylight driving lights). Right when it happens, if I enabled the cameras, they would be black for a minute and then come on, then randomly go black.
Is it possible to revert to an older firmware version, say 2023.12.5 which I never experienced any issues with?
I attached a screenshot of the message from Tesla SC.
IMG_2020.PNG

I wouldn't believe the bit about it being fixed in a future update. This has been happening for years. Just search "Cruise control unavailable" or "Autopilot unavailable" and see the many threads here and elsewhere if you Google it. It seems new to some, but I think its really just that it is somewhat uncommon and lucky people haven't encountered it for themselves so it appears new.

Just added my disappointing recent experience here: Cruise control unavailable